Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

About to buy Case 444, couple of questions.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Curt7088 OFFLINE  

Curt7088
  • Member No: 88975
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 11:23 PM

Hey e'ery body. New to the forum. I'm looking at picking up a Case 44. The serial number is 14009291, it looks like it is an 82? The questions I have is this.

The drive will not stay in forward. It will stay in place in reverse, but not forward. The pto and 3 point work great. Any idea off the top of your heads what could be the cause?

Second, it smokes, but more concerning is there is oil on the top of the motor, it looks like it is leaking from around there possibly. I didn't have any tools to dig further into it. Any places that are likely to leak around that area? The price seems right and it fires right up. Anything I need to look at specifically?
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 Curt7088 OFFLINE  

Curt7088
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 11:57 PM

*I'm looking at a Case 444*

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 12:18 AM

Welcome to thew forum. I personally know nothing about the case 444. On this forum we have available many manuals for garden tractors, engines, trans axles and much more. You can check the manuals area by clicking on the third tab from the left at the top of this page. That is a way to constructively pass the time while waiting for the members who are more familiar with the Case to come on line to help. If as you say the price is right it it can be repaired. You will find lots of help here. Good luck     Don.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,258 Thanks
  • 5,977 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 12:48 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Oil near the top of the engine - Good chance the head gasket is leaking. Smoking means it is probably going to need piston rings. Blue smoke is burning oil and black smoke is un-burnt fuel. Might want to check the compression. 

Not staying in drive I can't help with. 

• boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#5 jimbobbillyray OFFLINE  

jimbobbillyray
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,701 Thanks
  • 2,700 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 07:33 AM

hello, welcome to GTtalk.  great bunch of folks here, all with the same passion...old iron!

oil on top of the motor, could  be coming from the carburator, could be a stuck open exhaust valve.  

not going in forward but does go in reverse sounds like the shift linkage is binding up

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,892 Thanks
  • 4,815 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Again,  I don't have experience with the Case version but the lever falling out of forward is likely a worn friction plate or disk.  I had the same problem on a Cub Cadet.

On the Cadet it was just a simple plastic bushing that was worn and needed replaced. I could tighten it with an Allen Wrench and it'd work for a while, but not long. 

Has to be something like that and simple/cheap to fix.

The smoking sounds much more serious.

Best of luck!!

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,136 Thanks
  • 8,864 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to GTT. Download the manuals from our Manuals Section, as suggested before. The engine sounds like it is going to be some major work. Kohler parts are getting more expensive unless you go with chinese made aftermarket parts which are an unsure quality. 

I have 4 Case 200 series GTs but I'm not sure about that transmission problem. Because it is Hydraulic Drive, I thought that the lever controls a valve setup. Look into it. Our Sponsors are great with parts and knowledge.  Depending on the price and your ability to work on it that may be a good deal. Price should also reflect the attachments that come with it. Case attachments are expensive. One of my 220 was $300 with a blown engine but it came with 3 major attachments and 3 accessories. Attachments are usually a couple hundred each.  Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 26, 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,334 Thanks
  • 4,060 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to the forum! Funny that you posted this today. I just got a case 446 and it is doing the same thing.

I already pulled the lower panel on the dash to be sure the brake linkage isn't at fault as it pulls the handle back to neutral when you hit the brake. But it is not the culprit.

The only other thing I see could cause this is the directional valve, it has two detent balls and springs on each spool. So I am thinking one either has a broken spring or a ball is stuck in its groove?

I will be going out there today to check further. will let you know what I find.

In the mean time maybe another member has gone through this already and will let us know.

Good luck! Even though I just got this. I am loving it already!

• KennyP, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 27 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 01:54 PM

Not staying in forward is most likely the neutral start switch.  It has a contact in the center of a plastic piece that allows the start circuit to complete and, more important to you, it has notches in the plastic for both forward and reverse direction control.  A rod on the travel control lever engages the notches to keep it from creeping.  Really hard to see and harder to get in and out.

• Cvans and chris m have said thanks

#10 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,334 Thanks
  • 4,060 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:09 PM

Not staying in forward is most likely the neutral start switch.  It has a contact in the center of a plastic piece that allows the start circuit to complete and, more important to you, it has notches in the plastic for both forward and reverse direction control.  A rod on the travel control lever engages the notches to keep it from creeping.  Really hard to see and harder to get in and out.

I just got in. and after all the checking I did that is what I found wrong. What fun it was taking the oil tank and everything else out just to remove the switch.

#11 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,334 Thanks
  • 4,060 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Just like Kencombs said, here is what I found wrong.

2017-11-26 13.32.34.jpg

• LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,598 Thanks
  • 9,408 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:46 PM

Second, it smokes, but more concerning is there is oil on the top of the motor, it looks like it is leaking from around there possibly. I didn't have any tools to dig further into it. Any places that are likely to leak around that area? The price seems right and it fires right up. Anything I need to look at specifically?

What exactly​ do you mean by "oil on top of the motor"? On the tin covering? On the head?Running down the side of the cylinder? Which side?

Edited by LilysDad, November 26, 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,550 Thanks
  • 30,943 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:27 PM

From what you've said, I'd say head gasket, cracked head, or leaking spark plug gasket. If it were a flywheel side crank seal, then oil would be in more places than just the head.

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,598 Thanks
  • 9,408 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:55 PM

Mmmmm . . .       Is it engine oil or hydraulic? That's why I'd like him to be more specific.

• jimbobbillyray said thank you

#15 Curt7088 OFFLINE  

Curt7088
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 07:19 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Went back out today and took some tools. The head is cracked. What I meant about oil on top of the engine was there was a pool across the whole top. It does have bad rings. I tried to talk the guy down on it and he wouldn't budge. He was asking 500 and it had no attachments. I have a nice plow and box blade here I wanted to use with it. But I am back in the search for one.
  • olcowhand said thank you