• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 301 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 05:23 PM

I picked up this Ideal mower today, it has a Clinton engine on it and at some time the cutting head was replaced with one from a Silent Scotts reel mower. The odd thing about it is that it has Springfield, Mass. on there as to where it was made, not Lansing, Mich like all the other Ideals I`ve seen. So I did some research, and it turns out that in 1945 the Ideal Mower Company was sold to the Indian Motorcycle Company of Springfield! Since I also collect locally made stuff, and I`m right next to Springfield, this really was a find for me! I need to dig out my copy of Jim Ricci`s mower book to see what he has to say on this.

Does anyone else have a Springfield, Mass. Ideal? I`d love to see a picture of the cutting head for it so I can find one to put it back to original. It is model PD47A 1232, does this make it from 1947, that would seem correct for this. Next I need to get it into my basement workshop, just what I needed, another project for this winter! At least it is complete, except for the cutters, I removed the loose air filter so I wouldn`t lose it on the road.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5839.JPG
  • DSCN5840.JPG
  • DSCN5843.JPG
  • DSCN5844.JPG
  • DSCN5845.JPG
  • DSCN5847.JPG

• Alc, hamman, lyall and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,858 Thanks
  • 968 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 06:50 PM

it turns out that in 1945 the Ideal Mower Company was sold to the Indian Motorcycle Company of Springfield!

Very interesting! I never knew Indian had any relation to lawnmowers.

That's a unique and very cool find! Congrats and thanks for sharing the photos with us! :thumbs:

Edited by Austen, November 25, 2017 - 06:50 PM.

• boyscout862 and Rustysteele have said thanks