• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,046 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 04:19 PM

Ok to make a long story short I ran into a few tractors today one I bought and one I am thinking about buying. The one I didn't buy was not offered until I already bought the 1st one but I feel it maybe a really good deal and dumb to pass up.

Its a 1250 Cub and thats about all I know about them, I know they are super duty tractor and that has caught my interest, I also feel the price of 200.00 for a tractor like this is good as well. however as I have done before with you I like to see what you guys think I have backed out of a sale before and was glad I did once knowing the issues I may have.

Also if there is something I should ask before committing to buy I can do that too, we are friends for many years.

Anyway as offers a 1250 cub with steering in need of repair. Has all the parts for the tractor as well as some spare stuff like another axle and such.

20171125_143928.jpg

20171125_143933.jpg

20171125_143941.jpg

This would be for the tractor and a deck , he was shivering cold and just been though a lot of heath issues so didn't even uncover it anymore then what you see here, I figured its enough for you guys to know what it is and if I should leave my trailer connected after unloading this.

20171125_151719.jpg

This is the one I went there to buy.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 04:40 PM

The 1250 is a great tractor like all older Cub's are. The rear lift and spring assist are worth more than the asking price so I would buy it and if it turns into a basket case you can definitely get your money back parting it out.

• John Arsenault said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,134 Thanks
  • 8,862 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 05:03 PM

The old 1250s are good tractors but I'm very concerned about that one. The rear hitch is valuable but the rear end may be junk, Notice that most of the rear cover plate bolts are missing or broke off. Make sure that it has the side covers. Does it run?  Good Luck, Rick

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,503 Thanks
  • 9,812 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 05:10 PM

Cub Cadet 1250:

$1,250 restored
$125.00 not running
$12.50 basket case
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 887 Thanks
  • 476 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 05:26 PM

Does  the engine run and is it just a axle or whole rear end and if so is it in good shape

With the rear hitch vale i would say you should be able to make money if you make it a parts tractor too

Sometimes a tractor has to die for others to live on

#6 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,046 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 05:53 PM

Does  the engine run and is it just a axle or whole rear end and if so is it in good shape

With the rear hitch vale i would say you should be able to make money if you make it a parts tractor too

Sometimes a tractor has to die for others to live on

My understanding is the engine runs and he has everything to repair it, he pointed to another rear end so I am guessing if there is an issue with the the rear end that was the solution. So it does have the steering issue and possible a rear end swap needed of course a new battery chain all fluids and the usual stuff.

So I am understanding here that this is not a bad deal? My plans would not to be to sell it to make money but to repair it and keep it around its a hydro-static and I like that, but yet again didn't spend to much time checking it out he has health issues, been in the hospital at near death and was shivering talking to me so I lifted the cover snapped a few photos and told him I'll get back with him.

Are the 1250 attachments hard to find what pros and cons are there to this tractor as a user? Are there problems with these can consider them useless besides the rear end , if I got a good rear end I could never wear that things out. What engines did they have in them? 

I know nothing to me just looks like something I would like to spend 200.00 on ....lol 

• boyscout862 and James Bosma have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 06:22 PM

yeah especially coming with another rear end... I have a 1650 that is missing its engine, but doesnt have the rear lift,  I couldnt find an ENGINE running or not for the asking price of that whole machine.... I've seen people asking as much just for a deck,,,, and like they say theres that rear lift that's worth the price by itself... BUY IT

• boyscout862 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#8 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 887 Thanks
  • 476 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 06:48 PM

I would say buy it too, if the 200 won't affect your life at the moment

Is hydro unit on other rear end

Looks like a Kohler K series to me

12hp ?

Not sure about attachments, any with it

I have paid 200 Canadian dollars just for a Kohler K series

#9 515Dave OFFLINE  

515Dave
  • Member No: 88946
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Should have a Kohler K301 in it. 

Those aren't so hard to find. The K321 and K341s are getting harder to find, thanks to the pullers. This series of tractor tends to have problems with the motor mounts, and muffler box area, but that's fixable. 

It's worth 200 easy. As others have said, the lift and spring assist alone are worth it. If it's still got fluid in the rear end, it should be ok.  The back ends of these things are basically indestructible in normal use. It's missing the drawbar plate, which aren't hard to come by. 

Did he have a tiller on it at some point? 

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 08:51 PM

I paid $100 for a kohler M14 (k321 with a magneto basically) that supposedly runs but smokes and is needing a few parts.... luckily I have extras of what is missing.

but still i bought it knowing it needs rebuilt.....

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,929 Thanks
  • 5,562 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 09:49 PM

The old Cubs are one of the best pulling tractors and you should have no trouble selling it and getting your $$ back if the tranny is intact..  JMO

• John Arsenault and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,134 Thanks
  • 8,862 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 10:34 PM

A spare rear makes a big difference. I see attachments on CL and at shows. The advantage of going with a popular machine like CC is that they are easier to find attachments for. Good Luck, Rick

• John Arsenault and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 10:05 AM

\

A spare rear makes a big difference. I see attachments on CL and at shows. The advantage of going with a popular machine like CC is that they are easier to find attachments for. Good Luck, Rick

that's for sure... I have 3 Ariens/NH tractors and though they are built like a tank but attachments are few and far between around here,  so that usually means a pretty long road trip when they do pop up.

around here Deere is popular (of course :worshippy1:  :deadhorse:  :wallbanging: )   lots of cub cadet, and Roper built Sears.... but the Sears machines were built just a few miles from me and the IH Cubs were built within an hour of here back in the day. 

I do have a Cub 129 myself but its waiting its turn to get the attention it needs....going thru the Ariens machines right now, mostly doing the mechanical and electrical on all for now, along with some general cleanup on them.  and then my Deere (really built by Ariens) snow blower, gotta have that ready for the upcoming winter just in case....

Edited by dodge trucker, November 26, 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 the summoner OFFLINE  

the summoner
  • Member No: 85411
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:50 PM

You did well on the price, but you will spent more to fixer up.

Congrats on your new cub.

#15 the summoner OFFLINE  

the summoner
  • Member No: 85411
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:51 PM

The old Cubs are one of the best pulling tractors and you should have no trouble selling it and getting your $$ back if the tranny is intact..  JMO

Hydros do not make a great puller, only if you want to lose....