3 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • Member No: 69513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 03:57 PM

Hello,

I have taken the advice of things to look for because my B&S 14.5 HP seemed to be running lean. Within the last 2 weeks the engine will start and will run but backfires every second And with the choke 90% closed was the only way it seemed to run at constant RPM. Otherwise it would hunt and surge.

So today I spent quite a bit of time with every aspect of the engine. I did the following:

1. Checked to see if 100% fuel and no water. It is 100% fuel.

2. Just in case replaced the fuel filter noting the direction arrow. Installed correctly.

3. Removed the flywheel and replaced the flywheel key.

4. Set the air gap first to 0.010 and then to 0.007 - either way irrelevant to current problem it seems.

5. Readjusted the valves to 0.005 ( intake) and 0.007 ( exhaust ). Just in case.

6. Checked oil for proper level.

7. Brand new spark plug. Correct plug for my engine.

Fuel, spark and compression.

1. Fuel seems to flow well

2. Compression. For compression I am assuming if turning by hand it is very difficult depending on which stroke means good compression.

I am not sure on spark. But I can say this. When I engage the starter the flywheel turns, the carb might pop after adding starting fluid and then no engine start. This is all new. The engine did start all along until today, now no start. It is the kind thing where you can crank the flywheel until you drain the battery because nothing happens.

Thanks in advance,

BT

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,550 Thanks
  • 9,427 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 04:53 PM

I feel your frustration. My first thought is that when you adjusted the magneto, the ground may have been lost. It could also be a wire between the magneto and the ignition switch is shorting . You have spent a lot of time and money on this so it is time to get the book and read the directions. The B&S manual in our Manuals Section should have a trouble shooting section that will take you step by step through the correct way to diagnose the problem. A multimeter is very handy for this work and can be obtained at Harbor Freight for free with one of their coupons. Check Sundays' paper. A test light is very helpful too. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 25, 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,415 Thanks
  • 5,616 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 04:54 PM

Pull the spark plug and see that there is spark between the gap. Leave wire on plug and tough threads to the head.

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,750 Thanks
  • 1,673 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 08:16 PM

some good tools for troubleshooting

1- inline spark tester 

2 - compression tester