I have taken the advice of things to look for because my B&S 14.5 HP seemed to be running lean. Within the last 2 weeks the engine will start and will run but backfires every second And with the choke 90% closed was the only way it seemed to run at constant RPM. Otherwise it would hunt and surge.
So today I spent quite a bit of time with every aspect of the engine. I did the following:
1. Checked to see if 100% fuel and no water. It is 100% fuel.
2. Just in case replaced the fuel filter noting the direction arrow. Installed correctly.
3. Removed the flywheel and replaced the flywheel key.
4. Set the air gap first to 0.010 and then to 0.007 - either way irrelevant to current problem it seems.
5. Readjusted the valves to 0.005 ( intake) and 0.007 ( exhaust ). Just in case.
6. Checked oil for proper level.
7. Brand new spark plug. Correct plug for my engine.
Fuel, spark and compression.
1. Fuel seems to flow well
2. Compression. For compression I am assuming if turning by hand it is very difficult depending on which stroke means good compression.
I am not sure on spark. But I can say this. When I engage the starter the flywheel turns, the carb might pop after adding starting fluid and then no engine start. This is all new. The engine did start all along until today, now no start. It is the kind thing where you can crank the flywheel until you drain the battery because nothing happens.
Thanks in advance,