• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,782 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 04:49 PM

The two brochures have been uploaded to the forum.

http://gardentractor...olens-brochure/

http://gardentractor...olens-brochure/

Edited by Austen, December 15, 2017 - 04:50 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#92 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,273 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 07:48 PM

Took the newspaper articles that Classic Bolens posted in post # 28 and cleaned them up and converted to a pdf document if anyone wants a copy - the one article was hard to read but I think I got most of the words right.  Hope Classic Bolens doesn't mind.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, WrenchinOnIt and 6 others have said thanks

#93 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,782 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 08:09 PM

Took the newspaper articles that Classic Bolens posted in post # 28 and cleaned them up and converted to a pdf document if anyone wants a copy - the one article was hard to read but I think I got most of the words right.  Hope Classic Bolens doesn't mind.

Thanks a lot for your time doing this, Stew!

• logmillingman and Corvairguy have said thanks

#94 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,845 Thanks
  • 1,208 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 02:36 AM

Very interesting reading; thanks.

#95 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,782 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 02:05 PM

jCxoqabh.jpg

As a bit of an update, I've placed an order with David Berglund from 'Berglund & Wilenius' in Sweden who does the custom steel bolsters as featured earlier. Thanks to the help from those such as Ken, Doug E, and Kevin who reached out with advice on points of interest to consider and questions to ask, it will be made to the specs of the later large frame casting and also have the correct larger 7/8" axle pin- (thanks, Kevin) the HDT calls for. Very helpful and very much appreciated, guys, as I did not realize there were these differences. I can't thank you enough again.

Mr. Berglund happened to mention in our conversations that he has a "mint restored HDT1000" in his shop; of course he had my attention and I had to ask for pics. I learned that he is also a member of the broader tractor community and not only does high quality fabrication, but is an enthusiast of the tractor hobby as well. I asked if I may "pick his brain" a bit on the HDT1000 model explaining that they're a rarity in the States and also how there is an absence of information of them that many would like to seek. He stated that he knew about the rarity factor of them over here however it's not the case where he's located. In fact, he explained that around every third or fourth large frame he sees listed for sale is an HDT1000. He said on the other hand, for comparison, he has never seen a '14xx' large frame model for that matter but has owned a couple of 1050 tube frames.

I requested permission to post some of his pictures of the HDT and he gave the consent so as long as credit was given to his business partner "Fredrik" who performed the restoration of it. With the lack of general information and pictures there are of them here in the U.S., it's fun to see what another looks like and also learn that the model is actually quite common overseas. Perhaps we need to ship some over here.

To Mr. Fredrik's credit,

WxSlFQlh.jpg

9g8S2Osh.jpg

f4yAfiPh.jpg

NkfwBNKh.jpg

oujb68Ah.jpg

H0133Mch.jpg

aCnCpSgh.jpg

oUBNclPh.jpg

znQ0tbMh.jpg

nc3GDIeh.jpg

Gyek7dOh.jpg

Edited by Austen, February 07, 2018 - 02:35 PM.

• olcowhand, OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix and 9 others have said thanks

#96 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,273 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 02:32 PM

That is one very nice looking HDT1000 - but I will bet yours looks just as good or better by the time you are done with it.  Look forward to seeing what the new bolster looks like when you get it.

• blackjackjakexxix, Austen, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#97 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,961 Thanks
  • 47,139 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 03:09 PM

They did a fine job on that tractor! Did you invite him to the forum?

• Austen, logmillingman, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#98 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 524 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 03:23 PM

I wonder how the pricing is over there compared to here. Whats our dollar value to theirs? Love their much wider, more glass, cabs they have there for the large frames as well. Depending on the answers to these questions, & the rarity of them here,... it just might not be such a crazy idea to work with someone over there & have one shipped over here so one could have one as part of their collection. Thanks for the update Austin, looking forward to hearing more as things progress. 🖒

Side note: if theyre so common there, would that also mean the availability of NOS, (or even used) engine parts for the deisel large frame models are also easy to come by??? We all know how damned near non existant they are here.

Edited by kjmweld, February 07, 2018 - 03:30 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Austen, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#99 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 864 Thanks
  • 416 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 05:35 PM

That is an amazing restore on that tractor, can't wait to see yours Austen when your done with it!

• Austen said thank you

#100 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 112 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 08:19 AM

Austin, had a chance to see your HDT1000 yesterday.  Stopped over at Ricks to purchase some parts for my HT20D.  It is quite interesting how that tractor was retrofitted to accept the 3 cylinder.  Nice piece of history to own.  Jeff

• blackjackjakexxix, Austen and logmillingman have said thanks

#101 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,782 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 03:01 PM

Austin, had a chance to see your HDT1000 yesterday.  Stopped over at Ricks to purchase some parts for my HT20D.  It is quite interesting how that tractor was retrofitted to accept the 3 cylinder.  Nice piece of history to own.  Jeff

Hey, how about that! Glad other people are getting the opportunity to see it! Thanks for the note.

David mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that the bolster will be done by the end of March.

Edited by Austen, March 10, 2018 - 03:01 PM.

• olcowhand, blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#102 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,782 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 10:16 PM

Some have been asking for an update, so here is the current status.

David sent me a couple pics last week of the bolster 90% complete and said it still needs to undergo a hydraulic press in order to strengthen after welding, some more tapping of holes, and finally to be powdercoated black. There have been some unexpected delays on his end in terms of expected completion but should be shipped out soon.

The good news is that even though production of the bolster has been slower than expected, it has not halted the loader project at all. I've been telling myself to think of it like building an old car; you have an initial timeline in your head of what's going to get done, but reality sets in and it doesn't always go as clockwork. Like a car build, there's a lot of intricate parts to it, planning, life schedules, etc, and to do it right without cutting corners sometimes means the acceptance of extended timelines and patience. Ultimately, it's a hobby at the end of the day, there is no deadline on anything and I'm grateful to have it in the hands that it's in so it will be well worth the wait. Thanks for staying tuned.

CkALQKLl.jpg

RUr9cSkl.jpg

Edited by Austen, April 17, 2018 - 01:28 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, blackjackjakexxix and 8 others have said thanks

#103 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 864 Thanks
  • 416 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 08:31 AM

Wow Austen! That is some beautiful work!!

• Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#104 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,450 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted April 18, 2018 - 02:15 AM

I bet Randy could make these bolsters.... Maybe you can let him borrow it Austen, LOL! That is a fine piece of work, but isn't that made over seas? Be nice if a guy like Randy could make them here and it probably save a lot of shipping costs.

• Austen, logmillingman, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#105 Wisco tinman OFFLINE  

Wisco tinman
  • Member No: 89040
  • 150 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 19, 2018 - 08:34 AM

I bet Randy could make these bolsters.... Maybe you can let him borrow it Austen, LOL! That is a fine piece of work, but isn't that made over seas? Be nice if a guy like Randy could make them here and it probably save a lot of shipping costs.

Its on the list of parts that I need to measure,layout and reproduce its hard to get alot of these reproduction projects done while trying to restore tractors and attatchments for my personal collection and endlessly search for the next big Bolens find lol
  • fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix, Austen and 2 others have said thanks