• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#226 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 07:53 PM

Heck yes on the ride and Gannon.  That is quite the view!  

My wife says I'd have to stay off the Widow maker but it would be fine for the tractor! :smilewink:

I'll start looking for a 42" for you. :thumbs:   Cat 0 correct?

My family usually says the same thing!

That would be awesome, Mark, I imagine GT related equipment is a little more plentiful where you are. Yes, cat-0; if you happen to find one, let me know- thanks! :-)

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#227 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 739 Thanks
  • 441 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 08:34 PM

I would love a Gannon I should have bought one when randy was making them for Facebook.
  • Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#228 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 09:11 PM

I would love a Gannon I should have bought one when randy was making them for Facebook.

I asked him about them several months ago and he said he might do another round in the future. Maybe if he gets enough support, he'll do it. He did a very nice job.

• WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and kjmweld have said thanks

#229 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 739 Thanks
  • 441 posts

Posted July 01, 2020 - 07:47 AM

I asked him about them several months ago and he said he might do another round in the future. Maybe if he gets enough support, he'll do it. He did a very nice job.

The main issue right now is fastenal stop shipping due to Covid so it would make it very expensive to get one unless somewhat local.
  • KennyP, Mark 149 J. and kjmweld have said thanks

#230 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted July 01, 2020 - 11:51 AM

The main issue right now is fastenal stop shipping due to Covid so it would make it very expensive to get one unless somewhat local.

I learned a few years ago that Fastenal stopped their LTL shipping west of Utah so I can't use them any more. Last time I shipped an implement like that was a Brinly plow from Kevin and Ken and we used Old Dominion Freight. Kevin was a big help in tying it down to a pallet and dropped it off at a terminal. FedEx Freight actually worked well too shipping the HDT in a large crate and picking it up directly at their terminal. (They just weren't expecting me to unwrap the big crate there and drive it out but that's a different story.  :smilewink:) But really though, I wouldn't hesitate to use FedEx again for something like that, cost was reasonable too as was Old Dominion. It's the home delivery charge and use of their lift gates that will get you so you want to pick it up at their terminal; they also have forklifts there too so they can drop the pallet in your pick up or trailer.

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#231 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 3758 Thanks
  • 2011 posts

Posted July 01, 2020 - 01:49 PM

Gannon Earthcavator info.jpg

Here is a document that I found a while back on the Earthcavator.  You'll have to zoom in to see it but it might be helpful to you.  

You would think that we have more implements around here but Cat 0 is just hard to find.  I find them more in Portland and Spokane then around here.  according to the document they did make a 42" for Cat 0 and it weighs 159#'s.  Now finding one will be a challenge.

I would love to here the story about the unpacking of the HDT.  

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and Austen have said thanks

#232 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 11:43 AM

attachicon.gifGannon Earthcavator info.jpg

Here is a document that I found a while back on the Earthcavator.  You'll have to zoom in to see it but it might be helpful to you.  

You would think that we have more implements around here but Cat 0 is just hard to find.  I find them more in Portland and Spokane then around here.  according to the document they did make a 42" for Cat 0 and it weighs 159#'s.  Now finding one will be a challenge.

Thank you, Mark!! Would definitely love to get my hands on one. :thumbs:

Oh, the story? It sort of went like this...

Me: I spot big crate with my name on it in warehouse storage area... so this IS real and wasn't all a big dream.... :D.... I rush to go see it!!

FedEx Employee: Sir, you can't go back there, that's a restricted area!

Me: It's got my name on it, I show them my ID, see, I've waited years for this! :smilewink: :thumbs:

(Younger) FedEx Employee: Oh, it's fine, let me get a forklift and bring it up closer.

Me: There's a rare garden tractor with a loader inside, do you mind if I uncrate it here so that I can drive it into my old horse trailer?

FedEx Employee: A what and drive into a what trailer???

Me: Um, that will make it easier. The company that built the crate and everything told me what drill bit size to bring so that I'm prepared with my cordless drill I brought (fresh batteries charged too!) to zip it all apart, unload the small the tractor and dismantle the crate and everything to haul away; there's a plan to this madness!! Do you have a place where I could do this? It probably won't take me more than a half hour! :firejumper:

FedEx Employee: Ummmm, okay.... Yeah, I'll just have to stand here while you do it because we can't have unsupervised public in this area.

Me: Okay, that's fine. I'll get to work. Thanks!

Edited by Austen, July 02, 2020 - 11:45 AM.

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#233 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• 3758 Thanks
  • 2011 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 12:05 PM

That's funny!

What did he say when he saw the tractor?  I'm sure that's not something he see's everyday.

• KennyP, Austen and kjmweld have said thanks

#234 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3125 Thanks
  • 1191 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 12:34 PM

I would have loved to see the reactions on both of your faces thruout the time you were there picking it up & leaving with it. 😁
  • KennyP and Austen have said thanks

#235 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 04:34 PM

That's funny!

What did he say when he saw the tractor?  I'm sure that's not something he see's everyday.

I would have loved to see the reactions on both of your faces thruout the time you were there picking it up & leaving with it.

Well, they said it's not something that happens everyday and I think they were intrigued by the story; definitely a bit of an unorthodox situation I could tell around there. It was either a "you wished you were on shift at 2:00PM to see this!" or an example of a "no longer allowed situation" shared by management at a future staff meeting kind of story. Luckily, the guy that supervised was friendly and supportive and helped me uncrate it which was nice. I suppose I could've caught someone else who didn't care for this and said I had to take the crate as-is, no opening it anywhere, even in an unoccupied area out in the parking lot, so that was good. 

After it was uncrated and I hopped on to start it, I got the impression, even though it was never repeated in words, that the guy next to me and some other workers around were concerned of the possibility that it wouldn't start. I did actually come prepared with jumper cables and extra diesel too but Kevin was helpful by installing a new battery. When I started it, I think the guy that helped me yelled "YEAH!!" as in almost a sigh of relief perhaps. As I started driving it, I think think he and the other workers around at this point who stopped what they were doing to watch were concerned that I might hit something; I felt like in their eyes that I could've been been an unleashed wild animal in a china shop and therefore needed people on all sides to guide me out. I knew at this point that what I was doing was probably not in their rule book of "public allowances." I drove the tractor out of there as carefully as a senior boy would driving his prom date away while her father watches intently from the driveway.

Edited by Austen, July 02, 2020 - 05:08 PM.

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#236 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 19174 Thanks
  • 6478 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 04:42 PM

Great story - thanks for sharing.  It was, in a way, your first date with what hopefully will remain a life long partner to you.  While tractors are inanimate objects they (like vehicles) take on a personality (usually female) from my experience and can test your relationship at times.

Sadly in todays sue first - ask questions later situations like you experienced will become rarer and rarer as safety protocols go above and beyond common sense logic - just my opinion.

• WrenchinOnIt, Austen, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#237 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 19174 Thanks
  • 6478 posts

Posted July 02, 2020 - 05:11 PM

attachicon.gifGannon Earthcavator info.jpg

This may be a little easier to read

Attached Files

• WrenchinOnIt, Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#238 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• 3758 Thanks
  • 2011 posts

Posted July 03, 2020 - 11:52 AM

This may be a little easier to read

Thanks for making that a lot easier to read.  I don't know how you did it but it looks good.

• WrenchinOnIt, Austen and 29 Chev have said thanks

#239 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 19174 Thanks
  • 6478 posts

Posted July 05, 2020 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for making that a lot easier to read.  I don't know how you did it but it looks good.

Just redid the brochure in word which should make it even easier to read - cleaned up the image of the Earthcavator as best as I could.  

Was going to put it in the manuals section but the only Gannon files I saw were in the Bolens section - since the brochure mentions Kubota, Ford, Sears and Roper I didn't think it belonged in the Bolens section and didn't want to hide it in the "Others" cataegory.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gannon Earthcavator Brochure.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by 29 Chev, July 05, 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and Austen have said thanks

#240 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted August 04, 2020 - 08:52 PM

AyIP0fA.jpg

From past experiences, probably the most slippy road I can go down on my machines is making bodywork improvements. Fixing one little dent or rust spot quickly morphs into something much bigger as I can't ever seem to leave well enough alone sometimes. While it doesn't show up well in the pics, Kevin and Rick can attest to the several imperfections in the hood in particular. It is not beat by any means, but it does need some solid lovin' no doubt. I guess with my newfound hobby of making HDT1000 related decals (it would seem), led to a Sunday afternoon of my pulling the hood and doing some messaging we'll call it for the next installment. It had a pretty good sized dimple in the front that was going to be located right next to my latest pastime achievement. Well, of course after working on that dent, shouldn't you take advantage of the opportunity while the hood is off to maybe do a little more "massaging" on those other, smaller, dimples on the sides? How could I not? By this point, you start seeing those annoying other imperfections of a past repaint... hey, were those areas around the brushed on?? I can fix that, where's that sandpaper? I know I can do a better job at that.

Yeah, you catch my drift, it's a very slippy slope indeed. By this point I'm masking off the decals and now spraying half the front of hood that I just massaged. Only problem now is that the front of the hood is half two-toned if you catch the light but a little smooth. Now if I had just worked on that ONE dent and hadn't messed with anything else, then all would've been good. Anyway, that's how most my paint projects go, it's either all or nothing. The hood still has a long long ways to go but it gives me more push to do a total repaint. Perhaps next year.

jMUxD0g.jpg

Qp8W0jv.jpg

While the hood was off, I couldn't help but notice how the cable stay rubs on the front of the battery tray pretty good when it's shut. I remembered this adhesive Xpel material that's designed for automotive door sills to prevent scratching that I've used before on other things so I cut a section of it and ran it across in this area. 

5g4ZaMY.jpg

GHdXBlJ.jpg

FB7VTJc.jpg

7Xceult.jpg

One thing I had always thought about doing to my former 1886 (but never wanted to drill the hole) was a rear work light. The later HT model large frames came with a hole in the back of the fender pan on one side for a 3-point hitch lockout rod feature. I don't have such feature but I could use a little more lighting in the back for those late night snow removal runs than what the small marker light has to offer so this was the next best bet. 

j0aq8IG.jpg

3qr69PB.jpg

I used this 2-1 bullet style connector to run the two rear lights into.

8ZNK0fP.jpg

KJ2Y8mb.jpg

And it puts out some respectable light!

Last but not least, it was time to trial fit the custom Pusher intake system for the twin turbskis....

OkXTNuv.jpg

mBxJYor.jpg

:say_what:

WAIT.... wrong thread!!!

Edited by Austen, August 05, 2020 - 10:36 AM.

• WrenchinOnIt, 29 Chev, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks