I removed the flywheel on my Briggs 14.5 HP OHV (287707-1224-E1) to inspect the flywheel key. The key seems fine. I have it matched up with new key in photo and I can't tell the difference.
The symptoms of the problem are:
1. Difficult start ( need starting fluid )
2. About once per second it backfires thru carb. Something new last 2 weeks.
3. Keeps surging. To keep it running need to hold choke flap 90% closed.
4. Seems like less horsepower but I could be wrong.
5. At full throttle engine rpm's seems less than normal.
I did notice a piece of a broken old screw stuff to the flywheel ( magnetized to it ) so I just removed it.
Flywheel contact with ignition coil kind of rusty, does this matter?