16 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 580 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 07:54 AM

I ended up trading my Beeman for this Eshelman Deluxe. I wanted to just focus on riders from now on as they are what my kids most enjoy and some other decisions we've made will limit my budget a whole lot more in the future. Anyway, here's the Eshelman. It's more light duty compared with what I'm used to, but still neat. Does anyone have pictures of how the steering is set up in one of these? I suspect this one isn't right. Is there a pitman arm of some kind coming off the bottom of the steering shaft? Does that pitman arm then have some sort of drag link coming off of it, going to the left front wheel? That's what it looks like in other pictures of these machines that I've seen though it's hard to tell. Wondering if someone has some pictures. Mine uses a cable system, but I don't see anything similar on other machines, so I'm thinking mine isn't right. Pictures would be appreciated to that I can change mine, if needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171123_154311.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154306.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154303.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154346.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154337.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154330.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154317.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154356.jpg
  • IMG_20171123_154402.jpg

• Gtractor, KennyP, Cvans and 7 others have said thanks

#2 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,667 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 09:20 AM

The only Eshelman units I have seen are at a show in Penfeild, IL.   Sorry that I haven't paid enough attention to them to be able to answer your Question.  I am good friends with the gentleman who handles the G.T. section of the show, and hopefully I can get you some contact information.

If not can you wait until next July? :D        Rick 

• jtrojek and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 580 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 12:52 PM

The only Eshelman units I have seen are at a show in Penfeild, IL.   Sorry that I haven't paid enough attention to them to be able to answer your Question.  I am good friends with the gentleman who handles the G.T. section of the show, and hopefully I can get you some contact information.

If not can you wait until next July? :D        Rick 

No need to apologize, sir.  I've looked at a number of pictures and it does look like a pitman arm and drag link of some description on every one that I can see.  I'm in no hurry as I have no plans of taking it out in the snow.  It's going to sit in the garage as is until spring.  It runs nice and is operational as it is, so it's not a top priority.  This winter my Beaver 750 is top priority as it needs a bunch of work to get it working.  

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,307 Thanks
  • 3,421 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 04:29 PM

That is absolutely awesome, I will ask my friend to send me some pics of his if he can he's a bit behind in the tec world.
  • KennyP and jtrojek have said thanks

#5 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 356 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 04:59 PM

Here are pictures of mine

Attached Thumbnails

• SDC17188.JPG
  • SDC17193.JPG
  • SDC17191.JPG
  • SDC17190.JPG

• CRFarnsworth and jtrojek have said thanks

#6 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 580 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 05:59 PM

That is absolutely awesome, I will ask my friend to send me some pics of his if he can he's a bit behind in the tec world.

Thank you very much.

Here are pictures of mine

Oh wow.  So I guess mine is probably right then as that's what mine looks like.  I wonder when they went to the cable system, as opposed to the pitman arm and drag link?  

#7 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 356 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted November 24, 2017 - 06:31 PM

I have a standard riding model (without hood and cast steering wheel)  and it has regular steering with linkage , why Eshelman used cable on this model  I don`t know   Chuck

• jtrojek said thank you

#8 tractorjeff OFFLINE  

tractorjeff

• Member No: 5599
  • 53 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 02:16 PM

Yesterday I just finished up fabricating cable steering on my 1956 Eshelman tractor. It originally had cable steering but cable was cut off at spool so I had to figure out end mounts. I have a borrowed 1954 tractor with a 1955 grill that doesn't have cable steering so I don't know why they went to the cable. It's not as reliable and need to be tightened occasionally. My 1956 Eshelman Adult Sport car also had cable steering but I switched it over to rack and pinion.My 1957 Eshelman Golf Sport has chain and sprocket steering. Both my 1956 Eshelman Child Sport Cars have drag link steering. So it appears they had on standard way of doing it. 001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG

• Alc, jtrojek, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#9 Danny McCloskey OFFLINE  

Danny McCloskey
  • Member No: 14471
  • 41 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 06:19 PM

I don't have any good pictures of how I fixed the cable setup on our 1956 tractor.  I'll get some soon and post them.

• tractorjeff and jtrojek have said thanks

#10 Danny McCloskey OFFLINE  

Danny McCloskey
  • 41 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 05:33 PM

Here are some pictures of our 1956 tractor.  I got a new ready made cable, and the yokes from McMaster-Carr, and made the rest of the pieces.  I looked on McMaster's site, but didn't find the cable ready made now.  There is a picture of the old cable that was on it also.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02270.JPG
  • DSC02281.JPG
  • DSC02283.JPG
  • DSC02294.JPG
  • DSC02298.JPG
  • DSC02301.JPG
  • DSC02304.JPG
  • DSC02305.JPG

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, jtrojek and 1 other said thanks

#11 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 423 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 01:51 PM

Congrats Jamie, very cool! I had a "standard" 1954 model tractor (without hood and traditional steering wheel), but haven't had the opportunity to have a "deluxe" model yet. They are really neat looking tractors, but the one I had anyway, was a chore to drive. The one I had had a normal steering linkage; never seen the cable system before.

Mr. Eshelman was a very "interesting" guy whom always intrigued me. I've collected a bit of literature on his various "innovative creations". I'm not sure if/how much Eshelman literature you have, but I'd be happy to scan mine and send you what I have if you'd like it. 

While I regrettably don't have the tractor anymore, we do still have a 1956 Eshelman "Childs Sports Car" that's a big hit with my wife and daughters. Looking for picture of it, all I have on my PM is this one showing it on the top shelf in the garage. 

Thanks, Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• Shelf.jpg

• drbish and jtrojek have said thanks

#12 Danny McCloskey OFFLINE  

Danny McCloskey
  • 41 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 09:10 AM

Oldiron

I don't have any pictures of the steering on my 1954 tractor, but the shaft that the wheel mounts to goes through the frame, and is bent towards the back of the tractor with a piece of 1/4" X 3/4" or 1" flat stock for a drag link to the left front wheel.  I'll get some pictures of the lower part and post them soon.  Here are some pictures from the side, and top of it.  From what I can see in your picture it looks like your steering wheel is like a Farmall Cub, or "A", or "B".  I have a picture out of the Garden Tractor book by Dave Bass(sp) that shows that style steering wheel.

Danny

Attached Thumbnails

• 1954 Eshelman Riding Tractor 5-27-07 1.JPG
  • 1954 Riding Tractor 6-11-07 3.JPG

• jtrojek said thank you

#13 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 580 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your help!  I greatly appreciate it.  I guess mine probably is a cable steer.  I learned something, and don't have to add it to my to-do list.  That's good news.  Thanks again!

Congrats Jamie, very cool! I had a "standard" 1954 model tractor (without hood and traditional steering wheel), but haven't had the opportunity to have a "deluxe" model yet. They are really neat looking tractors, but the one I had anyway, was a chore to drive. The one I had had a normal steering linkage; never seen the cable system before.

Mr. Eshelman was a very "interesting" guy whom always intrigued me. I've collected a bit of literature on his various "innovative creations". I'm not sure if/how much Eshelman literature you have, but I'd be happy to scan mine and send you what I have if you'd like it. 

While I regrettably don't have the tractor anymore, we do still have a 1956 Eshelman "Childs Sports Car" that's a big hit with my wife and daughters. Looking for picture of it, all I have on my PM is this one showing it on the top shelf in the garage. 

Thanks, Rob

I have no Eshelman literature, Rob, and would like to find some on this little garden tractor.  I'd appreciate you sending me some.  Take your time though as I'm in no hurry.  The fellow that I got this from also had one of those Eshelman kid's cars.  Very neat little machines.  His may have been for sale.  Anyway, thanks so much!

#14 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,557 Thanks
  • 1,361 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:33 AM

!

I have no Eshelman literature, Rob, and would like to find some on this little garden tractor.  I'd appreciate you sending me some.  Take your time though as I'm in no hurry.  The fellow that I got this from also had one of those Eshelman kid's cars.  Very neat little machines.  His may have been for sale.  Anyway, thanks so much!

Have you seen the one in the Manual section? http://gardentractor.../4443-eshelman/

#15 Danny McCloskey OFFLINE  

Danny McCloskey
  • 41 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 03:53 PM

Here are some pictures of my 1954 tractors steering linkage.  Apparently someone put bolts through the left spindle to limit the amount that it turned.  That's the way it was when I got it.

Danny

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02347.JPG
  • DSC02349.JPG
  • DSC02359.JPG
  • DSC02360.JPG
  • DSC02362.JPG
  • DSC02365.JPG