• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,328 Thanks
  • 45,913 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 05:12 AM

I like what you did for heat! Even a small amount of heat is a blessing at times!

• MNGB said thank you

#32 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • Member No: 89051
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 12:10 PM

Wound't that be very warm!!

Well yes, I suppose it would be!

I like what you did for heat! Even a small amount of heat is a blessing at times!

Even just the wind break from the cab is huge, add even a touch of heat and we're talking paradise here! Nicely done!

Edited by shaeff, December 29, 2017 - 12:10 PM.

• KennyP, MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#33 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi all, today's update remove the gas tank drained all the gas out and check for fuel obstruction blew air in the tank via the filler cap and thur the fuel outlet nothing much so I run a rod up the fuel outlet nipple and felt a little something then when I shook the tank I could hear something moving around in the tank got it close the filler and could see what it was turns out it was the baffle that is suppose to be in the filler cap to keep gas from coming out the vent hole. Finally got a wire into the center hole turn the tank upside down and it came out put the tank back on the engine and tried it out engine started right up ran about 30/40 seconds and stopped would not restart finally I realized I( had not turn the fuel valve on turned it and it started and ran good let it run to warm up good never stopped went out tried blowing some snow never missed a beat  so that problem looks fixed

Yesterday I installed the smaller pulley on the engine well in heaver snow the drive belt to the auger would slip so I installed a shorter spring with more tension still wanted to slip so I tried some belt dressing still no go and it never slipped with the larger pulley on the engine so this afternoon I going back to the larger pulley and all new belts we'll see.

• 29 Chev and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#34 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,660 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 02:16 PM

engine started right up ran about 30/40 seconds and stopped would not restart finally I realized I( had not turn the fuel valve on turned it and it started and ran good let it run to warm up good never stopped

I hate when that happens - done it a few times as I always try and turn the fuel valve off when I am done using a tractor.  Sometimes forget and start tractor up and move outside to let it warm up - sometimes get outside or sometimes just half way through door and it quits - then realize the error of my forgetful ways.  As we get older we get wiser but sometimes seems for shorter periods of time.  :(

• Alc, KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#35 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:37 PM

Hi all an update on the blower have been trying different size pulleys on the engine think I've got it as good as it will get running  5" pulley witch is really a 4.75" using an "A" section belt. It seems it 2 steps forward and one back cause then the pulley on the auger drive shaft came off the shaft discovered that the drive shaft moves back and forth approx 3/4 inch and the pulley was installed backwards this allowed the pulley to move around causing belt misalignment so have been working on getting the pulley on right and aligned, gave it a short try this morning still needs some tweaking but it should work also need to set the skid shoes down some as the blower is to low and mowing grass and this also takes more power.

One a positive note the heat system is working good it was 0*F this morning and no I can't be in the cab in my shrit sleeves but can feel heat in there and that's nice.

• KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#36 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 10:19 PM

Hi all, okay this afternoon was better in that I made 3 steps forward and only one back :dancingbanana: The 4.75" pulley is the right fit good auger R's and the engine has the power to run the blower, the darn key in the auger driveshaft has worked its way out twice but in talking with my friend that works in a machine shop he said they always loctite the keys in so I'm going to give that a try.

Lowered the skid shoes to raise the blower cutting edge got them set about right now no more cutting grass and still cleaning most all the snow that was a big help for engine powering the blower, we only have about 3" of dry crusty snow but the Haban was doing a good job was out about a half hour cleaning up around the propane tank and my gas barrel/pump, all in all I was happy with the results this afternoon, tomorrow I'll be rebuilding the skid shoes I see they are just about wore thur in the middle.

• KennyP, 29 Chev and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#37 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,358 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 11:46 PM

Sounds like you just about have everything figured out and running well.  Nice job!

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#38 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hi Alc, it actually lifts very well the rod is 3/4" and is the same as used for the dozer blade and the snowblower that is the about the same unit as this one but without the engine, also I added wt to the drawbar for traction assist and it also has the benefit of counter balancing the blower as the wt goes down as the blower raises and vise versa  

attachicon.gifHPIM1676.JPG

I looked back as you suggested and found the post above that you mentioned in my thread. That's a very simple and neat idea. I don't have a drawbar or 3pt hitch on mine though. I found one on eBay for $95+ about $30 shipping, but it says it won't fit 1612 models or Jim Dandys. 

I'm wondering if I could build a drawbar like yours. Where are the rear attachment/pivot points?

That would be my ideal solution, and I really like that the weights help the hydraulics lift the blower as well! PS- I was eyeballing your wheel weights, those are nice!

• MNGB said thank you

#39 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hi shaeff, I think you could build a lift draw bar it would require some fabrication etc does your JD has the 2 tubes that the hitch slips into ? here's a link to a Master parts manual it shows the JD lift drawbar its on page 55 of the PDF

http://gardentractor...r_key=all&st=15

#40 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 02:34 PM

Hi shaeff, I think you could build a lift draw bar it would require some fabrication etc does your JD has the 2 tubes that the hitch slips into ? here's a link to a Master parts manual it shows the JD lift drawbar its on page 55 of the PDF

http://gardentractor...r_key=all&st=15

I'm not certain what you mean by "two tubes that the hitch slips into," I'll have to snap a pic of rear of my machine and post it. The link you posted brought me to the main manuals page, not to a specific manual. What is it listed as, I can poke around for it. Thanks!

PS- here's the unit I was talking about on eBay- 

https://www.ebay.com...r0AAOSwODFaTqhJ

#41 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,660 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 02:48 PM

the darn key in the auger driveshaft has worked its way out twice but in talking with my friend that works in a machine shop he said they always loctite the keys in so I'm going to give that a try.

Glad you found a pulley that gives you RPM's and power that work.  I assume the key is square stock - if you keep having problems with it moving you could stake the inside edge of the keyway with a punch or chisel the way they did in the picture.  Just a suggestion

Attached Thumbnails

• Staked Keyway On Axle.jpg

• MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#42 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 09:25 PM

Hi shaef, sorry about the link I didn't check it, thought it would bring up the manual this is the manual 

1977 MPM Continued  

its the master parts manual, well I just tried the link it took me to the download but Kenny has a notice that it may not be complete you'll have to try it and see what happens

Hi 29 Chev yes that would work it not an easy area to work in, I did loctite today will see if that holds tomorrow checked the manual and it shows a blots washer and lock washer threaded into the end of the shaft which would be ideal but the shaft on this blower is not drilled and tapped

Edited by MNGB, January 05, 2018 - 09:28 PM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#43 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 05:37 PM

Hi all, well this morning after letting the loctite set overnight did a test run of about 5 minutes the pulley was working its way off the shaft so I thought there has to be something I'm missing pulled the pulley off and checked to see if it was running straight and it was not it wasn't very much out but was out so I got a new pulley out of the parts room and installed it and did a 10 minute test run pulley hadn't move the set screw was tight so run outside and did a 20 minute snowblowing run and the blower worked good it was blowing snow very well, the skid shoes are set right, all in all I happy with it for now. Now its to see if we get more snow like 5 / 6 inches and see how it preforms I was using 2nd gear about 1/2 to 2/3rds throttle so there is the option of several slower gear combos

• KennyP, 29 Chev and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#44 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,660 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 06:17 PM

Glad you got it to stay put. Hope you get enough snow to give it a good test but not enough to make it feel like blowing snow is cold work rather than fun seat time.

• KennyP, MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#45 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,358 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 06:48 PM

Nice catch!  You now have one heck of a snow blowing machine!

• MNGB said thank you