46 replies to this topic

#16 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hi all, made some progress on the cab today, checked the PVC I'm using its 3/4" not 1" (its 1" OD) and its schedule 40. Had to run to a larger town about 20 miles away to get the the PVC fittings and 3 sticks of 3/4" pipe. Did some measuring  cutting test fitting more measuring finally have a working model it looks like its going to work. Tomorrow I'm going to shorten the upright tubes by 1.75" that will bring the side of the cab down this is not going to be a perfect fit but will work fine.

HPIM1679.JPG HPIM1681.JPG HPIM1682.JPG HPIM1683.JPG HPIM1684.JPG HPIM1685.JPG

• grnspot110, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#17 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,328 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 12:28 AM

That should keep the snow off of you!  

• MNGB said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,285 Thanks
  • 45,886 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 06:28 AM

Looks good! Watch out for low hanging branches!

• MNGB said thank you

#19 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hi all, well got the cab finished today it will work fine for blowing snow, and it is easy enough to install and remove. I did cut 1.75" off of the uprights and that lowered the canopy and it fits good and theres just enough head room inside, the seat I have on the tractoris pretty thick and you sit up a couple of inches if it was the regular pan seat there would be lots of head room. Next it will be to put the chains on and to add some n blower side extensions to get a couple more inches of width.  

HPIM1686.JPG HPIM1687.JPG HPIM1688.JPG HPIM1689.JPG HPIM1690.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,285 Thanks
  • 45,886 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 04:41 AM

That should help when blowing snow around!

• MNGB said thank you

#21 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hi yep makes all the difference in the world, I don't need heat so much as keeping out of the blowing sifting snow when the blower is work there is so much fine snow and when it lands on you it soaks in then you get wet and very cold.

• KennyP said thank you

#22 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Hi all, well last night we got about an inch of snow not really enough to try the snowblower on but I don't like it on the ramp in front of the shop so I got PK2 out with the snowplow and plowed the snow into a windrow then got PK3 out with the snowblower and cab to give it s little trial so got the engine started on the blower and then ran the PK out to see what would happen didn't get very far and the blower engine stopped tried the pull start but it wouldn't start drove into the and connect the 110 vac power cord to the starter pushed the button it started ran about a minute and stopped tried it again nothing just cranked went and checked on something came back it started and stopped again finally the light came on it was running out of gas but the tank was full so I check flow out of the tank out let and ran out good so got to wondering if the gas cap was venting I couldn't find a vent hole in the cap so I drilled a 1/16" hole in the cap started the engine and it ran good so out I went and tried the blower on the windrow it worked good  so I tried it on the grass and it cleaned the snow right down to bare grass/ground made a few passes and went back into the shop. The cap was great and the blower I think is going to work but I have a feeling that it is going to give the 10 HP Tecumseh a workout. all in all I like it but the real test will come with more snow. 

• KennyP, Leonard VanCamp, Cjet69 and 1 other said thanks

#23 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,328 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:34 PM

Good to know that it will work before the deeper snow shows up!  Sounds like you need a motor with more torque!

#24 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Hi Mark yes that maybe true if deeper snow bogs it down I'm going to look into trying to fabricate a mule drive. I really like the visibility you have with the PK.

I'll have to do some reseach on what the recommended RPM's of the auger blower would be  if anyone knows please post the numbers 

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#25 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hi all, well we have not had any snows of more than 1"  so far, I've been tweaking the snowblower trans/belt drive system when the fellow fabricated it he didn't get the belts running completely straight and the pulley jackshaft was a bit off so I ended up turning the pulley on the engine CS around so it would fit in closer to the engine and slotted the mount holes in the jackshaft mount so now the belts and pulley are running straight. Did some research and found out from Erwin Haban that the auger speed should be 850 to 1000 RPM's well I checked what it was doing and it was at approx 1380 R's so I'll be reducing the engine pulley from a 5" to a 3.75" which will give an approx auger RPM of 1000 with the added benefit of increased torque/power.

• Alc, 29 Chev, Cjet69 and 1 other said thanks

#26 shaeff ONLINE  

shaeff
  • Member No: 89051
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm following, any updates? I just got my belt in, thanks again for the sleuth work to find out length. Hoping to get it all set up this weekend!
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#27 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 05:14 PM

Hi nothing really to report just picked up a 3.75" pulley today and ordered new v belts they should be coming in the next couple of days

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#28 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 1,405 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi well got a update on the blower and heat system, we got a couple of inches of light fluffy snow so I cranked up the Tecumseh and the PK went out and tried the blower had not changed the pulley yet it blew snow like a champ but the darn Tecumseh powering the blower would just shut down would have to get off the PK and restart it finally it ran long enough to do some blowing finally figured out that the fuel screen in the tank is partially clogged so tomorrow I'll remove the tank and clean that. 

After it was back in the shop I removed the 5" pulley and installed the 3.75" pulley that really slowed the auger/blower down went out and gave it a try I may go back to the 5" pulley it had about 1/2 the blowing power but I did discover another small problem the belt driving the auger would slip so I installed a stronger spring on the idler tensioner will give another test tomorrow.

Now for the heat system I came up with it worked good I really like it I could feel the heat on my feet and legs so that is a keeper  it was 6*F so it felt good to have a little heat coming in.

HPIM1688.JPG HPIM1712.JPG HPIM1713.JPG HPIM1714.JPG HPIM1715.JPG HPIM1717.JPG

• KennyP, Leonard VanCamp, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#29 shaeff ONLINE  

shaeff
  • Member No: 89051
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Very cool! Nice work!

#30 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.