• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Maybeacub OFFLINE  

Maybeacub
  • Member No: 88436
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 10:25 AM

I'm thinking of picking up a GT19. Currently have a GT16.other than 16 vs 19 hp are they pretty much identical and interchangeable parts wise?

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,969 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 01:17 PM

It is the same. Wiring could be updated on the newer of the two.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Maybeacub OFFLINE  

Maybeacub
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Shorty. The price is right so I think I'll grab it.
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#4 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 57 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 03:48 PM

The engines are (of course) different as are the frames.  (Notched out and reinforced for the GT19 twin cylinder engine)  Most everything else is interchangeable.  Some of the GT19's also had power steering.  Good machines and smoother running that the single cylinder models.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Maybeacub OFFLINE  

Maybeacub
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Warren!

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 12:14 AM

I thought that when they changed from calling them S to calling them GTs all had the twin cyl engines?

and I thought that all GT19s had power steering?   Other of the GT models were hit and miss, as far as P/s or no P/S...

one thing that I forgot about on the P/S models is that when you have no engine running, you have no steering, whether power or not... crank that wheel all you want and wheels stay in position they were in when you last had hyd. pressure.... just moved my GT19 back into garage last nite to finally do away with the headache wiring, and it was a PAIN.... my son and I rolled it to the other side of the garage and turned it 90* to where I set it last nite and that wasn't fun.... slightly easier since I took the engine back out, plus having a 2nd person there that I didn't have yesterday....

#7 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 77 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 04:00 AM

I thought that when they changed from calling them S to calling them GTs all had the twin cyl engines?
and I thought that all GT19s had power steering?   Other of the GT models were hit and miss, as far as P/s or no P/S...

one thing that I forgot about on the P/S models is that when you have no engine running, you have no steering, whether power or not... crank that wheel all you want and wheels stay in position they were in when you last had hyd. pressure.... just moved my GT19 back into garage last nite to finally do away with the headache wiring, and it was a PAIN.... my son and I rolled it to the other side of the garage and turned it 90* to where I set it last nite and that wasn't fun.... slightly easier since I took the engine back out, plus having a 2nd person there that I didn't have yesterday....

Odd. I have a Gravely 18H which is an Ariens GT18 with Gravely badging. My steering works fine when engine is not running.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,969 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 05:56 AM

Mine usually still steers without the engine running. A few times it either sat too long or the little ones played on it too long and the steering disappeared until I started it again.

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 09:49 AM

before I brought it home, it had been sitting 10+ years, wouldn't steer til I got it to run,  most recently it has been sitting a year again w/o having been run. 

when I very 1st got it running upon getting it home, I discovered that it had come to me with  a blown hyd hose, replaced that one and a 2nd one  got a pinhole leak in it within the next 15 minutes I ran it,  at that point I replaced all 7 hoses..... won't be having that issue no more.

seems to me it did steer within a day or 2 of it last having been run, maybe a week.

with my wife and son trying to talk me into getting rid of at least some of my machines, between my 3 Ariens/NH machines if I had to keep only 1, I'd hope it to be this one, it is in the best shape of the bunch paint wise on the frame, and the only one with front and rear PTO, (not adding rear PTO to the others because any of the idiots that have one, think they can get more for just a rear PTO than for a whole nother tractor or 2) 

and it is the only tractor I have ever had of any brand, with P/S.   I am rethinking how big of an advantage that P/S actually is due to it not steering at all after it sits for a bit....

wiring issues are why I have rarely played with this one, I currently have it in the garage, I ripped out ALL the wiring/ every little last bit of it, switches, idiot proofing, and all.... waiting on my new stuff to arrive so I can rewire it from scratch and eliminate those issues so I can actually USE it.  I have ordered all new switches (not OEM stock, except for the ignition switch)  waiting on them to arrive via FeeBay among the upcoming Black Friday rush.... I just finished a total rewire of my S -16H  the same way, only difference on this GT19 is the 2nd PTO switch to wire in... I am debating on leaving the hour meter out of the GT19, to keep from totaling up more hours or draining the battery just in case the key ever gets left on accidentally. I have a feeling that a lot of its 1762 hours on the meter got accumulated that way before the machine was mine, as I know it has done ALOT of sitting over its life. don't see how it can have anywhere near that number of run time on it anyway.

The S-16 has never started so easily or run so smooth since I have had it as it does now with all new wiring, connectors and switches. that is what I am going for on the GT19.  IMHO they all need to come apart bolt by bolt and be sandblasted and repainted ,but  paint won't make them work any better either....

honestly my property is not big enough for any one of them.... but I have been playing with small engine powered equip since I was about 12, can't stop now...

Edited by dodge trucker, November 23, 2017 - 09:50 AM.

• shorty said thank you

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,969 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 09:53 AM

The engines are (of course) different as are the frames. (Notched out and reinforced for the GT19 twin cylinder engine) Most everything else is interchangeable. Some of the GT19's also had power steering. Good machines and smoother running that the single cylinder models.

Forgot that the GT 16 still had the K series single.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 09:56 AM

yeah now that you mention that wasn't the GT18  the K series OHV single? weren't some GT18s a Magnum twin?   OK then, did all GT series have the notched frame for the twin engine? even if they actually came with a single?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, parts interchangeable