#31 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,481 Thanks
  • 1,678 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 09:32 PM

Thank you (DAC?)  I do have one of the guards, but with a different engine i also will have to adapt it.

Also noticed that the brake pedal is stiff.  It isn't the rear mechanism.  Once I got the sheet metal off I could see the whole thing and by hand I could adjust it very easily.  The pedal seems to be the problem.

And, lastly, the mower deck belt (serpentine) is missing and two fo the pulleys for the blades are seized.  I sprayed them.  Also broke off almost every bolt that holds the belt cover on the mower deck.   ARGH!   I'm hoping that can be fixed with something from the hardware store.

Yes DAC is what I go by, my initials. Just in case you didn't see it, that pedal is also the clutch so you are trying to move the vari-speed pulley and the tensioner pulley on the right side before the brake engages. If anything over there is frozen or sticky it will increase the pedal effort greatly. There is a grease zirk in there and some fresh grease may help. The center shiv in the vari-drive pulley should slide back and forth easily but with a belt in there and engine not running it doesn't move well at all.

I think I've heard some John Deeres have vari-drive systems so maybe a pulley off of one of them will work.

On the cutting deck, yours is much different than mine, but there should be bearing numbers in a sticky thread above here on the MF page. I did have to take my belt covers off as they would pack up with small twigs and burn on the belt.

Good luck and keep us posted---DAC

• lloydmf10 said thank you

#32 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 88933
  • 61 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 01:51 AM

hi guys

just found this after searching around the web for an original pulley.

https://m.grainger.c...&fc=MWP2IDP2PCP

the outside diameter is right and the bore is original size. just can't tell about the belt size. it gives some values but I'm clueless about that. the two belt sizes i have to accomodate are 7/8th adjacent to the engine and 1/2 outside.
  • DMAX and MFDAC have said thanks

#33 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,481 Thanks
  • 1,678 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Looks like it just has two 1/2" grooves. Keep pushing your "want to buy" ad for the vari-speed pulley is all I can give for advice. Maybe starting a new thread here on the MF forum or maybe even the "garden tractor" forum asking "where to buy" one of those original pulleys might get attention from some of these MF folks that don't know of your need!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, December 16, 2017 - 08:44 PM.

• DMAX and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#34 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 447 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 09:09 PM

Looks like it just has two 1/2" grooves. Keep pushing your "want to buy" ad for the vari-speed pulley is all I can give for advice. Maybe starting a new thread here on the MF forum or maybe even the "garden tractor" forum asking "where to buy" one of those original pulleys might get attention from some of these MF folks that don't know of your need!

DAC

I agree. I think eventually the right person that has one will see one of your posts.

#35 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 09:41 PM

thanks to the two of you. I will put it out there wherever I can. I've also checked in with a local repair shop where the gentleman has a lot of knowledge. he's going to check up on it.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#36 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 01:04 AM

My son and I spent some more time tonight tearing down the 66.  We got a bunch done but are stuck on a couple of things.  The reverse thread screw for the variable pulley won't budge after a couple of days of soaking.  Maybe an impact driver or some heat?  

Also, the brake handle.  I've got the long threaded screw out but it seems to not want to come off.  Am I missing something there?  We're looking forward to getting it down to the frame and parts to sandblast and paint.  He wanted to paint it green!  I told him he could when he buys it from me  :)

• limebuzz and MFDAC have said thanks

#37 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 11:30 PM

hello there. any suggestions on the stuck reverse thread screw in the variable pulley. been a couple of days of heat and pb blaster.

#38 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• Member No: 1183
  • 430 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted December 21, 2017 - 09:32 AM

hello there. any suggestions on the stuck reverse thread screw in the variable pulley. been a couple of days of heat and pb blaster.

Try tapping on it with hammer and punch (make sure it is flush to not damage the screw) and then try turning it out. The screw has a tapered head with a star lock washer, it is also left hand thread. For the engine pulley keep and eye out on ebay also or for another parts tractor, I damaged the same pulley and it took 4-6 months looking to find one for sale. 

• limebuzz, MFDAC and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#39 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 02:32 PM

merry Christmas everyone!
  • limebuzz and MFDAC have said thanks

#40 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,481 Thanks
  • 1,678 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 09:55 PM

Mine came apart without too much hassle so I can't help much on a difficult one. I think I used a large square shank screwdriver with a crescent wrench on it, but it's been a couple of years ago.

DAC

#41 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 447 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 05:54 AM

Mine came apart without too much hassle so I can't help much on a difficult one. I think I used a large square shank screwdriver with a crescent wrench on it, but it's been a couple of years ago.

DAC

I’m with MFDAC on this one. It was back in 2009 when I restored my 12 and I didn’t have any trouble getting the bolt out on mine.
  • MFDAC and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#42 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 01:20 AM

Here are the three rusty culprits that are keeping my boys and I from moving ahead to cleaning and sandblasting.

The pedal and engagement handle

343.JPG

And the reverse thread screw in the variable pulley

344.JPG

None of them budging.   :wallbanging:

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#43 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 632 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 11:38 PM

Yes DAC is what I go by, my initials. Just in case you didn't see it, that pedal is also the clutch so you are trying to move the vari-speed pulley and the tensioner pulley on the right side before the brake engages. If anything over there is frozen or sticky it will increase the pedal effort greatly. There is a grease zirk in there and some fresh grease may help. The center shiv in the vari-drive pulley should slide back and forth easily but with a belt in there and engine not running it doesn't move well at all.

I think I've heard some John Deeres have vari-drive systems so maybe a pulley off of one of them will work.

On the cutting deck, yours is much different than mine, but there should be bearing numbers in a sticky thread above here on the MF page. I did have to take my belt covers off as they would pack up with small twigs and burn on the belt.

Good luck and keep us posted---DAC

The John Deere 110, 112 and early 200 series tractors all have variable drive, I'm not sure if the pulleys will match up with the MF ones but it might be worthwhile to look into.

• MFDAC and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#44 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,481 Thanks
  • 1,678 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 08:58 PM

The John Deere 110, 112 and early 200 series tractors all have variable drive, I'm not sure if the pulleys will match up with the MF ones but it might be worthwhile to look into.

Good advice Leonard, I thought that I'd read that somewhere. It could be a possible parts source then!

Did you try the home made penetrating oil a lot of folks swear by, Lloyd? It's a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. I have used it a couple of times with good results, but I only mix a small batch at a time as the acetone tends to evaporate out pretty fast. That's part of the reason why it works too I think. I don't run into the need for it often but when Kroil or Yield penetrants and heat doesn't work it has helped before.

Is it cold enough for you up here in SD yet Leonard?---LOL!

DAC

• KennyP and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#45 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 632 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted December 28, 2017 - 09:14 PM

It's tolerable, and I dress accordingly. New job might be interesting though, I start Jan 2 with the City of Pierre Water Department. :loosing_it:

• limebuzz, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks