#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,990 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 09:22 PM

As I said above, I did an engine swap on a 12G the "G" means gear drive which is what the "Vari-Speed" is From what I understand, the 10G and 12G are basically the same tractor except 10HP Tecumseh vs a 12HP Tecumseh.

If it is the 10G or Vari-Speed tractor you are talking about, there may be some issues getting the drive pulley for the engine. The Vari-Speed belt pulley is specific to that type of belt and you may need an original engine pulley. That pulley may be 1-1/8" shaft size and most replacement engines will probably be 1". I bought a 20 dollar "adapter sleeve and key" to make my original 1-1/8" pulley fit the 1" shaft engine I re-powered my 12G with. From what I also understand the pulley setup isn't quite so complicated on a hydra-speed tractor.

The first pic is the shaft sleeve and the second pic is the sleeve installed with the pulley.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• crank shim 001.jpg
  • Engine and belt mounting 002.jpg

• DMAX, limebuzz, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#17 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • Member No: 88933
  • 16 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:20 PM

MF10.jpg

Thanks Kenny and Rick,

Here is the first MF10 I got.  

#18 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 16 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:23 PM

That adapter looks like a reasonable solution.  Finding an original pulley is proving difficult.  Where did the adapter come from?  Sorry, more questions and only one picture.  

#19 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 16 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:24 PM

I think I can adapt the exhaust and air filter to fit under the hood without cutting.  Same for the gas tank.  

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,990 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:52 PM

That adapter looks like a reasonable solution.  Finding an original pulley is proving difficult.  Where did the adapter come from?  Sorry, more questions and only one picture.  

I got that adapter on an ebay store. I googled 1" to 1-1/8" shaft adapter and found the store in the google list. I don't know if you would be interested as the engine is different than the direction you want to go but below is the link to my engine swap. I got a lot of help from the great folks on this forum. It's possible there may be ideas you can use, or what not to do too!

. http://gardentractor...mf12g-re-power/

DAC

• lloydmf10 said thank you

#21 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 16 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 12:32 AM

finally, as promised some pictures.  Not great ones, but hopefully at the end (and hopefully there is an end) it will make the finished pics all the better.

111.JPG

I believe this is an early model, 67 or so.  Has a 7/8 belt and a 1/2 belt.  

100.JPG

Dry fitting the Briggs 10hp in place with existing belts.

104.JPG

113.JPG

This is a 75 or so.  I had looked them both up but have forgotten at the moment.  This also has a 7/8 and 1/2 belts

An MF7 I got for free.  No Hood but with a running 8hp briggs.  Came with a 4" pulley with 3/8, 5/8, 3/8 set on it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 108.JPG

Edited by lloydmf10, December 07, 2017 - 12:40 AM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#22 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 16 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 01:50 PM

can someone tell me their pulley size and position of their shaft for their mf10? I see the shims are still available online!
  • MFDAC said thank you

#23 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 16 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted Today, 02:46 AM

If someone could give me a bit of info on their drive pulley that would be greatly appreciated.  I'm wondering if the same pulley is found on another tractor and so still available somehow?  Anyone have a manufacturer to check with?  Thanks a bunch.  By the way.  I forgot to mention these MF10's are my son's 4H small engine projects for the year.  I'll upload a picture of their last year's project.  Much simpler as it was their first year.