#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,592 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 09:22 PM

As I said above, I did an engine swap on a 12G the "G" means gear drive which is what the "Vari-Speed" is From what I understand, the 10G and 12G are basically the same tractor except 10HP Tecumseh vs a 12HP Tecumseh.

If it is the 10G or Vari-Speed tractor you are talking about, there may be some issues getting the drive pulley for the engine. The Vari-Speed belt pulley is specific to that type of belt and you may need an original engine pulley. That pulley may be 1-1/8" shaft size and most replacement engines will probably be 1". I bought a 20 dollar "adapter sleeve and key" to make my original 1-1/8" pulley fit the 1" shaft engine I re-powered my 12G with. From what I also understand the pulley setup isn't quite so complicated on a hydra-speed tractor.

The first pic is the shaft sleeve and the second pic is the sleeve installed with the pulley.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• crank shim 001.jpg
  • Engine and belt mounting 002.jpg

• DMAX, limebuzz, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#17 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 88933
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:20 PM

MF10.jpg

Thanks Kenny and Rick,

Here is the first MF10 I got.  

#18 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:23 PM

That adapter looks like a reasonable solution.  Finding an original pulley is proving difficult.  Where did the adapter come from?  Sorry, more questions and only one picture.  

#19 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:24 PM

I think I can adapt the exhaust and air filter to fit under the hood without cutting.  Same for the gas tank.  

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,592 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:52 PM

That adapter looks like a reasonable solution.  Finding an original pulley is proving difficult.  Where did the adapter come from?  Sorry, more questions and only one picture.  

I got that adapter on an ebay store. I googled 1" to 1-1/8" shaft adapter and found the store in the google list. I don't know if you would be interested as the engine is different than the direction you want to go but below is the link to my engine swap. I got a lot of help from the great folks on this forum. It's possible there may be ideas you can use, or what not to do too!

. http://gardentractor...mf12g-re-power/

DAC

• lloydmf10 said thank you

#21 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 12:32 AM

finally, as promised some pictures.  Not great ones, but hopefully at the end (and hopefully there is an end) it will make the finished pics all the better.

111.JPG

I believe this is an early model, 67 or so.  Has a 7/8 belt and a 1/2 belt.  

100.JPG

Dry fitting the Briggs 10hp in place with existing belts.

104.JPG

113.JPG

This is a 75 or so.  I had looked them both up but have forgotten at the moment.  This also has a 7/8 and 1/2 belts

An MF7 I got for free.  No Hood but with a running 8hp briggs.  Came with a 4" pulley with 3/8, 5/8, 3/8 set on it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 108.JPG

Edited by lloydmf10, December 07, 2017 - 12:40 AM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#22 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 01:50 PM

can someone tell me their pulley size and position of their shaft for their mf10? I see the shims are still available online!
  • MFDAC said thank you

#23 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 02:46 AM

If someone could give me a bit of info on their drive pulley that would be greatly appreciated.  I'm wondering if the same pulley is found on another tractor and so still available somehow?  Anyone have a manufacturer to check with?  Thanks a bunch.  By the way.  I forgot to mention these MF10's are my son's 4H small engine projects for the year.  I'll upload a picture of their last year's project.  Much simpler as it was their first year.

#24 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,592 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 08:11 PM

I can measure a vari-drive pulley off a 12G but not a 10, sorry. I do not know if they were the same.

DAC

#25 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:45 PM

I believe they are the same so that would be helpful. I think the helpful dimension would be from the centre of the other two pulleys. thank you!
  • MFDAC said thank you

#26 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,592 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 09:12 PM

Hi Lloyd, it is 9" from center of the lower pulley to the center of the PTO or crankshaft pulley. The position of the pedal pulley changes from engaged to disengaged so that one is going to be changing. The vari-speed pulley is 2-1/2" wide and is 4" outer diameter. You must remember this engine is a replacement and the PTO shaft position is different than the original HH120 Tecumseh that used to be on this tractor. I didn't measure the stock position of that pulley before the swap. I did have to use a different size PTO belt than original also.

Another thing to consider is that getting that belt guard is important too. That guard rubs on the vari-speed belt to stop it when shifting. That belt will keep moving if there isnt a little friction to stop it's movement. Maybe you should add that to your WTB ad? It probably is possible to fabricate something to rub the belt when the clutch is pushed in. As you may be able to see in the pics I had to modify that belt guard to bolt to this engine also.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• vari-speed pulley 001.jpg
  • vari-speed pulley 005.jpg
  • vari-speed pulley 004.jpg

#27 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 12:42 AM

Thank you (DAC?)  I do have one of the guards, but with a different engine i also will have to adapt it.  

A few photos from tonight's work.  My son and I pulled most of the sheet metal off.  I got stuck on the steering wheel.  Got the first nut off and then realized I probably need to use a puller, which I have.  Looks like someone tried another more destructive method before as the whole steering setup has a lot of slop in it and the plastic steering wheel is crushed/cracked near the column.  

040.JPG

057.JPG

050.JPG

Also noticed that the brake pedal is stiff.  It isn't the rear mechanism.  Once I got the sheet metal off I could see the whole thing and by hand I could adjust it very easily.  The pedal seems to be the problem.

And, lastly, the mower deck belt (serpentine) is missing and two fo the pulleys for the blades are seized.  I sprayed them.  Also broke off almost every bolt that holds the belt cover on the mower deck.   ARGH!   I'm hoping that can be fixed with something from the hardware store.

Attached Thumbnails

• 051.JPG

• MFDAC said thank you

#28 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 12:53 AM

And Also, thank you for the measurements!   :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#29 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 01:48 AM

we are going to work on the tractors one at a time, the earlier model first. that way we have an example right there in the garage if we get stuck.

I may be fretting a little early at this point. but my concern is we don't find pto crank pulleys. Are they common with any other models or brands? I heard John Deere 110 might work? they had the same engine in them.

#30 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 465 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 06:45 AM

It may have been discussed earlier but it sure looks like you have the aluminum dash on there. If so, that’s a nice find. I’ll try to help you out where I can in the the future with your project. Have fun!
  • KBuzz and lloydmf10 have said thanks