• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • Member No: 88933
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 01:58 AM

hello everyone. I'm new here. I've been working on a bit of a project! was given a MF7 with a Briggs 8 I/C that I have recently gotten rolling. now acquired a MF10 that I want to swap the engine onto. I think it will work but is there some way to adjust the belts to stretch to the slightly altered pulley location? the mf10 came with mower deck and tiller and three point so is a definite upgrade even with smaller engine.

thanks for any help

lloyd
  • DMAX, MFDAC, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 07:30 AM

You may have to get a little bit larger of a belt, these belts are not made to stretch. Before you do that though maybe someone who knows masseys will chime in and help you with how the belt is adjusted on those machines. I have never had my hands on a massey so I don't know, but many have idler pulleys that can be adjusted, seeing that things have changed your most likely will be looking at a new belt.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,192 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 09:40 AM

Welcome to GTT. Play with the MF7 and search for an engine for the MF10. Engines pop up every where if you talk to friends and family about your search. I acquired several engines at our town transfer station just this year and a couple of more at swap meets. I don't pay much for used engines because they can't prove that they work(and usually don't). The engine for your MF10 is risky because those ignition systems are fragile and expensive. One engine that I picked out of the scrap pile, I wanted because there was a chance that the ignition module was still good. You will want the extra horse power for the tiller. Don't forget to download the manuals that you need from our Manuals Section(3 for free per day). Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 20, 2017 - 09:41 AM.

• MolonLabe said thank you

#4 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 11:14 AM

thanks Rick. as it turns out there is a third tractor available from the guy I got one of the others from. I think it was an I but had a Koehler in it so might fit the 10 better. I will get back in touch with him.

#5 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 03:11 PM

just checked. no engine in the third tractor. any idea what I can put in the mf10 that won't require major adaptation?

#6 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• Member No: 1183
  • 393 Thanks
  • 230 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 05:11 PM

The Tecumseh 10 or 12 hp is going to be the easiest to install. I have not tried any different type of engine in my 10 or 12. The one big issue i could see being a problem is getting the drive pulley coming of the engine lined up correctly. There are 3 different belts that run off that pulley. I hope you have the pulley, it took me several months to find a replacement for one I broke.
  • boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 03:11 AM

I have a 3 belt pulley on the Briggs 8hp but as I understand that won't work. I read somewhere that a Honda gx390 may work. Any thoughts?

#8 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,018 Thanks
  • 1,523 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 09:43 PM

I have a 3 belt pulley on the Briggs 8hp but as I understand that won't work. I read somewhere that a Honda gx390 may work. Any thoughts?

Hi Lloyd, although not real popular among most tractor guys, I did a GX390 CLONE swap on my MF12G two years ago. It's been running great mowing and pushing snow. This was not a direct bolt in swap though. Mine is a gear drive (Vari-Speed) and yours must be a Hydro. DH1 did this swap on a few hydros. If you want something to swap pretty easy though, Esbbent is right about sticking with a Tecumseh, if you can find one in good shape.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

DAC

#9 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 12:35 PM

hi guys

How about a Kohler 14 magnum? would that work as far as power? also, I'm new to all this. is the idea just finding an engine with proper torque and power and then fitting it in is a matter of adjusting pulleys and belt sizes. also electric start of course is handy

#10 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 12:39 PM

just picked up my third mf. this is a mf10. no engine. variable speed. mower deck tractor tread tires. bit still no engines. hard to find for a reasonable price.

#11 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 01:47 AM

it be new mf10 has serial number 1446 004013. the other mf10 is serial 1446026616

#12 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 02:44 PM

I was given 2 Briggs 10hp i/c engines the other day. one runs as is. the other will need some work. both have a 1" drive shaft. one is threaded. can someone point me to the diagram for pulleys and drive set up? I should be able to make this work. down the road I can look for something that is more correct for the tractor.

#13 lloydmf10 ONLINE  

lloydmf10
  • 21 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 12:18 AM

hello.
can someone give me some direction for pulleys?

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 05:21 AM

I know nothing about Massey's, but maybe this parts manual will help. Page 12 shows the main drive pulley, part # 511 140 M2. Looks like a stack of 3 pulleys, have no idea of diameter.

• boyscout862 and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,192 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 08:47 AM

You have asked alot of questions. Let me try to answer some of them. The first problem with a replacement engine is will it fit in the empty space. Some engines may be too tall to close the hood. Good hoods are getting hard to find so, don't modify a hood. The mounting bolts for the engine may not match with the frame of the tractor. The engine PTO shaft may not be the same diameter as the pulley. The PTO may not stick out the correct amount to align the pulley with the tractor pulleys.

I have swapped engines in some tractors successfully but some required alot of work. Try test fitting what you have to see how they fit. Many times the bolt patterns are the same. As far as horse power, 10 hp is probably be adequate for most work. A 12 hp is better for snow blowers and tillers. The 8 hp B&S should be fine for plowing or mowing. Part of what you are going to do is going to require some trial and error. For safety, never just set the engine on the frame. Bolt it down so that it can't fall. Post some pics of the tractors, engines, and the test fits. The footer of Kenny's postings has instructions on how to post pics. You are building a nice herd. Good Luck, Rick
  • DMAX and MFDAC have said thanks