• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arniearni OFFLINE  

arniearni
  • Member No: 88844
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 19, 2017 - 09:14 PM

When running I have 12.45 volts at battery which slowly increases by about .01 volt in about 5 minutes. New Battery, New Voltage Regulator. I have 30 volts ac on ac terminals of voltage regulator. With engine off and ignition key on I have 12 volts dc between center terminal of voltage regulator and ground. So it appears Ignition Switch is Good, wiring between battery and voltage regulator is good I have tried 3 different regulators (one brand new) all with the same result. What am I missing??? The engine is a kohler magnum 18hp (must have been replaced at some point in its life).

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,601 Thanks
  • 7,325 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   You have a good stumper there lol . Not what I would do next , did you check that the regulator has a good ground where it mounts ? From  what you posted I believe you already did and since you changed it more then once it should be good . Did you remove the a/c wires to test or did you check that it had 30 volts right on the regulator spades ?  I'm sure others will be more helpful , good luck

• boyscout862 and arniearni have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 07:19 AM

check connector terminals for corrosion.  and that connector is all the way seated on regulator. just ran into that yesterday as I finished up a complete rewire of a S-16H with a Kohler single. I had to slightly pry the connector onto the regulator to get it to seat.

• boyscout862 and arniearni have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,140 Thanks
  • 8,870 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 09:32 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) for the engine manual and see what the Troubleshooting Guide tells. Good Luck, Rick

• arniearni said thank you

#5 arniearni OFFLINE  

arniearni
  • Member No: 88844
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think this weekend I will run a wire from dc voltage terminal on regulator to positive battery terminal and another wire from regulator mounting bolt to negative battery terminal and see what I get. That should tell me if there is an issue somewhere or maybe that's all I'm going to get out of my regulator with the ac supplied.

• Alc said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,364 Thanks
  • 44,909 posts

Posted November 21, 2017 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think this weekend I will run a wire from dc voltage terminal on regulator to positive battery terminal and another wire from regulator mounting bolt to negative battery terminal and see what I get. That should tell me if there is an issue somewhere or maybe that's all I'm going to get out of my regulator with the ac supplied.

Remember to rev the engine as it does not charge much at idle!

• boyscout862 said thank you