Garden Tractor Forums banner

Wizard (Western Auto ) MTD 14 horsepower

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  VTXrider 
#1 ·
Made by MTD, has hydrostatic transaction and cast iron B&S motor with shaft drive and PTO shaft. The grill is cast and has a driver side bulge for the starter/generator. Looks like a 990, but its older than most of of the 990s that I have seen. The fuel tank is metal. Has electric lift. It is rough but restorable. How can I determine what model this is. I did not see a tag on the dash.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think it is the Fourteen hundred series. I'd guess that only used parts are available. It is a hydrostatic with electric lift on the right side The mower is driven by a shaft. It needs a lot of work. It will go to scrap soon, if someone does not take an interest in it. I could make it look good again, and the B&S motor can run again - I think. Its got a hydro unit under the seat that I couldn't get a good look at, unless I jacked the tractor up. The front axle and spindles are some of the most beefy I've seen in this class of garden tractor. Is this the first of the 990 series ?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the forum.

Electric lift would be a modification. The right side handle with the button on top is the armstrong lift for the 3pt hitch and mower deck. That would make it a 760 - 860 - 960 series. More pictures are needed of the sides and rear and dash/tunnel pan for better ID. If the rear fenders are angled down in the back, it is not a hydro 990.

#11 ·
The electric lift would be a rare option. The 960 is a manual transmission with clutch.

Attachments

#12 ·
I talked to the seller, its a 4 speed geared transmission. I think its a '70 or '71 960. I was mistaken about it being a hydro.

There is no rust through on the sheet metal - no holes, but its pretty crusty. I think it can be restored. The B&S motor is missing the carburetor, but I think it is otherwise a complete 960. The plastic dash is cracked. It does not have a three point, but has a shaft powered mowing deck - has a right angle gearbox.

#13 ·
What price is the seller asking?

Reactions: Mark 149 J.
#15 ·
The carb may be expensive unless you have a source for a used one.

The Ford is a good looking tractor too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.