• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 03:38 PM

My mom's 2006 Ford Explorer has been down with a bad transmission for almost a year. I still start it up about once a month and move it (It still drives just don't go thru gears) anyways today I went to start it and couldn't get the rpms above 1000 rpms when the pedal on the floor. Any ideas what it could be ? 

• hamman said thank you

#2 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 04:00 PM

Put a reader on it and see what the codes tell you.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 04:08 PM

Put a reader on it and see what the codes tell you.

It went into limp mode so I unplugged the battery and reset it long enough to move it over. 

• hamman said thank you

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,644 Thanks
  • 4,243 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 05:11 PM

Call Willie, He likes Exploders.

• Gtractor, WNYTractorTinkerer, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,780 Thanks
  • 4,767 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 05:26 PM

WILLIE IS JUST A BIG FAN OF FURDS IN GENERAL.  

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,176 Thanks
  • 5,944 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 06:56 PM

I have had 3 Exploders and liked 2 of them. The 1990 was my all time favorite. The 2000 was the worst. Noisy and rode ruff. The 2010 Exploder Sport-trac is Ok. Wish it had a little more room on the inside but other than that nothing. 

Wasn't aware that there was a known transmission problem with them. How many miles on yours and have you ever changed the filter in it? 

#7 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 06:59 PM

I have had 3 Exploders and liked 2 of them. The 1990 was my all time favorite. The 2000 was the worst. Noisy and rode ruff. The 2010 Exploder Sport-trac is Ok. Wish it had a little more room on the inside but other than that nothing. 

Wasn't aware that there was a known transmission problem with them. How many miles on yours and have you ever changed the filter in it? 

150,000 and transmission has been serviced in the 3 years my mom has owned it. 

• Cvans said thank you

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,019 Thanks
  • 1,487 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 08:04 PM

my old man had an 01 explorer sport, it was total garbage, numerous mechanical problems since day one, and after 10 years the complete underside was rotted from salt damage sad part was it less than 75k miles I think he sold it off for 750 bucks .
on the other side I had an 02 ranger, same engine and trans and that truck ran great no issues at all sold it for a bigger truck

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:12 PM

Change the trans!  Can't be that hard on a rear-drive vehicle, even with 4 x 4.  OR, just take into shop for a rebuild exchange, fastest and cheapest way.  If it's that nice of rig, just goes to heck setting around as you are now experiencing. Needs to be driven. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:36 PM

Change the trans!  Can't be that hard on a rear-drive vehicle, even with 4 x 4.  OR, just take into shop for a rebuild exchange, fastest and cheapest way.  If it's that nice of rig, just goes to heck setting around as you are now experiencing. Needs to be driven. 

She is waiting for Tax time. Trans for it is $1,800 for a reman. 

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 10:22 PM

She is waiting for Tax time. Trans for it is $1,800 for a reman. 

where from?  is that "installed" or just the trans?    Something tells me that you should be able to beat that.... Being a Dodge guy I have heard plenty about their trannys.

I bought my 96 Dakota 4X4 with the trans laying in the bed,  original guy that had it brought it in for "transmission problems" and was quoted $2800 parts and labor.... he sold it to the shop. A 20-ish yo employee of the shop bought it from his boss, pulled the trans with the idea to take it and get it rebuilt then decided to go into the Service, so Dad said it had to go before the kid left for basic training. 

I got it from them on CL and pulled the trans apart, no "hard part" damage, just  basic seals and friction, and a pull apart and good cleaning of the valve body. lots of residual friction material within the valve body, having to go in there to install the shift kit anyways, I had a good opportunity to clean that out....

bought the master kit plus a mild shift kit that addresses some of what ails those units, PLUS a reman converter and PLUS $50 worth of ATF+4 trans fluid, and still spent less than $300....12K miles later, we drive it daily.  I could have gotten a junkyard trans for a few bucks cheaper, but  this way I know exactly where I stand. 

I have a neighbor that is a "ranger nut" and I have swapped a couple trannys for him over the years, never been inside of one of those beyond the fluid and filter myself.    He has a guy that will rebuild them but not do the R+R, he's in his 70s.   One common issue that I hear on them is that there is a gasket that goes between the halves of the valve body on those units that blows out and when it does, it causes the engine speed to flare up on the shift from 2nd to 3rd.... it kind of goes 2-neutral-then into 3rd when this happens. they all have "something" within them that commonly goes bad. Ford, GM, Dodge Toyota, all of them. 

Don't be afraid to scout the junkyards to see what may be available.  I have had exceptionally good and bad luck with junkyard units, though most will give you at least a 30-day warranty some longer.    the worst case was that I had to pull one a 2nd time and take it to swap it out.... 

#12 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 10:28 PM

where from?  is that "installed" or just the trans?    Something tells me that you should be able to beat that.... Being a Dodge guy I have heard plenty about their trannys.

I bought my 96 Dakota 4X4 with the trans laying in the bed,  original guy that had it brought it in for "transmission problems" and was quoted $2800 parts and labor.... he sold it to the shop. A 20-ish yo employee of the shop bought it from his boss, pulled the trans with the idea to take it and get it rebuilt then decided to go into the Service, so Dad said it had to go before the kid left for basic training. 

I got it from them on CL and pulled the trans apart, no "hard part" damage, just  basic seals and friction, and a pull apart and good cleaning of the valve body. lots of residual friction material within the valve body, having to go in there to install the shift kit anyways, I had a good opportunity to clean that out....

bought the master kit plus a mild shift kit that addresses some of what ails those units, PLUS a reman converter and PLUS $50 worth of ATF+4 trans fluid, and still spent less than $300....12K miles later, we drive it daily.  I could have gotten a junkyard trans for a few bucks cheaper, but  this way I know exactly where I stand. 

I have a neighbor that is a "ranger nut" and I have swapped a couple trannys for him over the years, never been inside of one of those beyond the fluid and filter myself.    He has a guy that will rebuild them but not do the R+R, he's in his 70s.   One common issue that I hear on them is that there is a gasket that goes between the halves of the valve body on those units that blows out and when it does, it causes the engine speed to flare up on the shift from 2nd to 3rd.... it kind of goes 2-neutral-then into 3rd when this happens. they all have "something" within them that commonly goes bad. Ford, GM, Dodge Toyota, all of them. 

Don't be afraid to scout the junkyards to see what may be available.  I have had exceptionally good and bad luck with junkyard units, though most will give you at least a 30-day warranty some longer.    the worst case was that I had to pull one a 2nd time and take it to swap it out.... 

Reman was online and the local junkyard wanted $1,300 for one. 

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 10:50 PM

$1300? Check another (or several) junkyards.....  I'd certainly be careful of just who I dealt with online. too many "fly-by-nights out there and many won't warranty anything.

I'd bet you could find a factory reman at a dealer for similar or maybe less cost.

If nothing else, check the local shops and see what they'd want for a "bench rebuild"  you pull it, drop it off on their bench and you pick it up and reinstall it... 

there are U pull yards by me, that I could find one for less than $200.  make sure you get a fresh converter. don't want all the trash that's trapped in there circulating thru the fresh one. 

don't take the 1st quote with a grain of salt.... or assume that  "everyone" will want as much.

about your "won't rev," check the intake and the exhaust for varmints nests....

#14 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 11:13 PM

$1300? Check another (or several) junkyards.....  I'd certainly be careful of just who I dealt with online. too many "fly-by-nights out there and many won't warranty anything.

I'd bet you could find a factory reman at a dealer for similar or maybe less cost.

If nothing else, check the local shops and see what they'd want for a "bench rebuild"  you pull it, drop it off on their bench and you pick it up and reinstall it... 

there are U pull yards by me, that I could find one for less than $200.  make sure you get a fresh converter. don't want all the trash that's trapped in there circulating thru the fresh one. 

don't take the 1st quote with a grain of salt.... or assume that  "everyone" will want as much.

about your "won't rev," check the intake and the exhaust for varmints nests....

Rest said they was sold out we looked in a 100 mile radius. It revved after I got out of limp mode. 

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 11:19 PM

well, if you arent gonna be doing this til tax time  you have time to let them find you one.  what did they want if they did have one available? What warranty would they offer?  

seriously check around,   there has to be a trans shop that would overhaul yours and hand it back to you ready to go within a couple of days....