• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KVLZ OFFLINE  

KVLZ
  • Member No: 88864
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 10:22 PM

The hood on the tractor says 770 Special Edition. It has a 12 hp B&S vertical engine but I'm pretty sure it's not what it came with hp wise. It runs great but the belts going to the 3 speed manual transmission were horrible and it had a bad engine oil leak. I removed the pulleys and belts, removed the engine and had the leak fixed.  The engine is back on but the pictures I took of the belt tightener parts are no longer on my phone. I have all the parts but I need either some good pictures or drawings.

I don't know if this is a small or medium frame tractor. From what I've seen so far it looks the most like the description of maybe a 600??  it has a 3 speed transmission where you can go from high to low speed by changing the belt from the big to small pulley to the small to big pulley, I don't see any locking device to lock the rear wheels. It has plenty of power in the high range to pull a disk harrow with 280 lbs of weight on it but it's just too fast. I've been using it to prepare lawns for seeding. All I need is the diagram for the belt tightener that works with the clutch pedal. When you push on the clutch it releases the spring tension on the belt. When you release the clutch the spring tension engages the belt and it's transferred to the transmission.

I'm not interested in using it to mow unless I buy or make a pull behind mower that has it's own motor nor pushing or blowing snow.

#2 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 432 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 07:49 AM

I have a parts tractor here if you need anything. It has a good 7hp Tecumseh, which is what they came with. Missing the starter/generator. I'm going to tear it down and toss what is bad. It's been worked hard. Buy the whole thing for $80 and you will have spare parts. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Ct.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,996 Thanks
  • 8,779 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 08:20 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check in our Manuals Section for the manuals for your tractor. The owners manual should have the belt diagram. I believe the 770 is a small frame and is not really made for pulling heavy loads. Good Luck, Rick

This catalog has a partial view under a 770 on pg  3.

Edited by boyscout862, November 14, 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,742 Thanks
  • 18,023 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 10:11 AM

Can you post a photo of this machine

• wilberj said thank you

#5 KVLZ OFFLINE  

KVLZ
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 01:49 PM

How do I post a picture?

Edited by KVLZ, November 17, 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#6 KVLZ OFFLINE  

KVLZ
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 02:08 PM

bolens tractor IV.jpg

Hope this works. Never posted before. Muffler pipe is gone and stock muffler is on. Side steps were just for looks and they are gone. I keep checking the huge rear tires but no problems so I'm keeping them. Hate seat and steering wheel combo. Any ideas or comments?

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 04:59 PM

The Bolens 770 had a 7hp B&S engine as it left the factory, they never had a Tecumseh engine from the factory.  ...Some 770's had recoil starters, while others were made with electric start.

There was never a  "Special Edition" of the Bolens  770.  ....This one has been modified by a previous owner.

The original color was brown chassis/engine with off-white hood & wheels.  ....Mower deck would have been pained green, snow blade & would have been yellow.

There are Bolens brochures in the Manuals Forum which show the 770.

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,742 Thanks
  • 18,023 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 05:41 PM

That poor tractor is heavily modified, this is what it used to look like

post-8-132893668189.jpg

• 29 Chev and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 07:38 PM

I stand corrected - the wheels were red as the brochure shows.

The 770's were 1967, 1968, & 1969 models.

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,373 Thanks
  • 9,735 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 09:12 PM

Were headlights standard or optional?

#11 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 221 Thanks
  • 260 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 10:36 PM

The "special edition" is a Walmart stick on deal. Shame it's been modified.

#12 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,882 Thanks
  • 4,755 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 12:52 AM

Just to add.  You say that it's "too fast"?

The oversize rear tires are the reason.

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 18, 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 09:13 AM

Headlights were sold as an optional kit for the electric-start models.

• Bolens 1000, Cat385B and 29 Chev have said thanks

#14 KVLZ OFFLINE  

KVLZ
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 10:41 AM

The guy I bought it from lives a block away. And it was what I needed when I needed it at the right price. To begin with, it has both electric start and recoil lights and had built in headlights. I haven't gone through the electrical system, but there is a place for a voltage regulator but it is gone. I just keep it on a battery tender when not in use and it works just fine.

I can get stock rear tires and wheels in Nebraska, but they are "grass" tires. I'm working in soft dirt and these tires are more suited for that. All I had to do was change the belt to the low side to slow it down. Unfortunately for the purists there's been so much modifications made to fit that huge motor in that it would look foolish with the stock motor. That was done before I bought it.

I have the drive belts and it's setup back to stock. I'm unable to find the original springs that control the belt drive "clutch"/ the brake for the middle pulley (which stops it so you can shift gears) and the linkage to the back brakes. If I had the time I would put separate brake handles on the rear brakes for turning sharp in loose soft dirt like big old tractors have.

The original owner has a big lever to hold the belt drive so that if he let go of the handle it would instantly disengage. He was into tractor pulling so if it tips over backwards it would disengage where a standard clutch setup wouldn't. If you're not able to depress the clutch it's engaged.

Have enjoyed learning the history and all of the models. It's pretty cool.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KVLZ OFFLINE  

KVLZ
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 10:40 PM

2017-11-18 21.09.13.jpg

As to the color this tractor was from the factory, I can see absolutely nothing but red except the grill. I can see absolutely no evidence the tractor was ever the color of the brochure. The people who modified this tractor took some horrible shortcuts with shoddy work. I just can't imagine they would strip this thing down to bare metal and do a red factory paint job. I have no clue as to why it was red. As to the reply the special edition sticker isn't factory, on close examination I can see where the "limited edition" decals were added much later.

This picture shows the belt setup that I believe is the factory layout. I took this picture before I found the best match for the spring from the clutch pedal to the idler spring. As i see it, this spring must be stronger than the spring that holds pressure on the idler pulley. So as you push the clutch pedal in, that spring overpowers the weaker spring that contacts the idler, which loosens the tension and the belt slips. I also need to make a rod the correct length that also attaches to that same location that pushes a rubber "stopper" (sp?) into the 2nd pulley to stop it's rotation so the gears can be shifted without grinding. There is another rod that is directly connected from the clutch to the rear tire brake. So as I push in on the clutch first it loosens the drive belt, then pushing farther the rubber snubber contacts the second pulley stopping its rotation, then if the clutch is pushed all the way down the rear brake makes contact which stops the tractor.

I used a parts list layout and a reprinted picture showing the correct layout from a users manual that I was able to download from this site to get it as close to stock as was possible. I thank everyone who made that possible.

• KennyP said thank you