• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 09:18 PM

Tearing down the SS15 tomorrow going to pull the transaxle replace the axle seals and shifter boot also going to fix the brake and do some wiring. I don't think I will have enough time to paint it due to money and only 2 months until plowing again. 

• EricFromPa said thank you

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,919 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 09:27 PM

Aaaaah paint is not the most important anyway. Just taking your time and doing the job right makes these things reliable not paint. I had to do that to my wife's tractor as I was instructed not to paint anything.  

• bbuckler said thank you

#3 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Aaaaah paint is not the most important anyway. Just taking your time and doing the job right makes these things reliable not paint. 

It a plow tractor anyways it will just get messed up. 

#4 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 02:16 PM

Engine is off. Video posted soon. 

#5 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 04:14 PM

• Leonard VanCamp and John Arsenault have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,178 Thanks
  • 3,352 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:10 PM

If you plan on removing the tranny Get help doing it from someone with a strong back.

Or you are going to need a cherry picker or a chain hoist or at minimal 2 jack stands and a good floor jack. I darn near ruptured something doing mine by myself. I had jack stands and 2 floor jacks and a couple short chunks of 2x4 to hold the tranny where I needed it and lifted the frame up and over the shifter and sat it down over the tranny.  Cherry picker would of been nice.

1st take off the rear deck hanger 4 bolts

2nd unhook the Hi/lo leaver. 1 small cotter pin on the linkage. Top rear part of the transaxle just behind and above the right axle.

Then the brake rod.

Then drain the tranny gear oil.

Then remove the tranny oil fill tube if it has one. Mine had a short pipe nipple and a elbow with a plug going through a hole in the frame.

Then the 2 long bolts above both axles.

And last the top 2 bolts just below the seat and it will drop out.

The tranny sits up in there at an angle and is a REAL Pain in the *&*#%&^$#% to get lined back up if you do it yourself. Imagine trying to hold the tranny up into place by yourself and get the top 2 bolts started on the top side with no room under the tractor because you have jack stands on the axle tubes and a jack to hold the front of the tranny up.  LOL it's NOT fun to do by yourself. 

Oh forgot you also have to lift the frame up high enough to clear the shifter.

It's possible to remove the shifter bolts without taking the tranny out. The front 2 you can get with a ratchet and extension, rear 2 from underneath with a wrench. But I don't think you will be able to pull the shifter up high enough to replace the shifter boot/gasket.

Just be very carefull you don't hurt yourself.  Lots of sharp edges and weight. Most of the 670lbs the tractor weights is in the frame and rear end. The engine is only about 150lbs with the starter genny and everything on it and the front grill and hood don't weigh much.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 14, 2017 - 09:13 PM.

• GTpicker01 and bbuckler have said thanks

#7 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:13 PM

If you plan on removing the tranny Get help doing it from someone with a strong back.

Or you are going to need a cherry picker or a chain hoist or at minimal 2 jack stands and a good floor jack. I darn near ruptured something doing mine by myself. I had jack stands and 2 floor jacks and a couple short chunks of 2x4 to hold the tranny where I needed it and lifted the frame up and over the shifter and sat it down over the tranny.  Cherry picker would of been nice.

2nd unhook the Hi/lo leaver. 1 small cotter pin on the linkage. Top rear part of the transaxle just behind and above the right axle.

Then the brake rod.

Then remove the tranny oil fill tube if it has one. Mine had a short pipe nipple and a elbow with a plug going through a hole in the frame.

The tranny sits up in there at an angle and is a REAL Pain in the *&*#%&^$#% to get lined back up if you do it yourself. Imagine trying to hold the tranny up into place by yourself and get the top 2 bolts started on the top side with no room under the tractor because you have jack stands on the axle tubes and a jack to hold the front of the tranny up.  LOL it's NOT fun to do by yourself. 

It's possible to remove the shifter bolts without taking the tranny out. The front 2 you can get with a ratchet and extension, rear 2 from underneath with a wrench. But I don't think you will be able to pull the shifter up high enough to replace the shifter boot/gasket.

Just be carefull you don't hurt yourself. Both the tranny and frame have a good bit of weight to them and most of the 670lbs tractor weight is in the frame and rear end. The engine is only about 150lbs with the starter genny and everything on it and the front grill and hood don't weigh much.

Yeah I did my 110 transaxle by myself don't think I'm ready to take on another one by myself. 

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,178 Thanks
  • 3,352 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:17 PM

I will not ever do it again that way. My back hurt really bad and I couldn't stand up straight without significant pain for almost 3 weeks.  I'm to stubborn to go to the Doctor but I really should of after that.

I have to pull the tranny in my JD214 eventually and pull it apart (differential gears are loud) but i'm going to either rent or borrow a cherry picker.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 14, 2017 - 09:22 PM.

#9 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:18 PM

I will not do that again either. My back hurt really bad and I couldn't stand up straight without significant pain for almost 3 weeks.  I'm to stubborn to go to the Doctor but I really should of after that.

Been to the dr. for back pain they said stop lifting heavy stuff  like that actually going to happen on a farm and in a shop, 

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,919 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 08:44 AM

I had to do mine by myself, I found that lifting the axle into place is not the way to go about it. Instead I put the frame on the axle. In order to do that I put the front of the tractor together so I could lay the axle on the ground and then lift the tractor on to it.

20151124_144511.jpg

I put the axle in at this point or about this point, sometimes I get busy and forget to take more photos in stages so may have missed one or two along the way.

• bbuckler said thank you

#11 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 23, 2017 - 11:03 PM

If the people show up to buy all my cages I will order parts Monday

#12 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 11:31 PM

In a middle of a job when it finished I will get the parts I need to finish the ss15 

#13 6mikey7 OFFLINE  

6mikey7
  • Member No: 64617
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 01:44 PM

Then the brake rod.

Just be very carefull you don't hurt yourself.  Lots of sharp edges and weight. Most of the 670lbs the tractor weights is in the frame and rear end. The engine is only about 150lbs with the starter genny and everything on it and the front grill and hood don't weigh much.

Just got done replacing ss16 twin transaxle. Went amazingly well, I was surprised.  Built a box out of 2x4s set it on a 18x12 movers dolly from HF (8 bucks) and set the transaxle on it. Put jack stands under front axle and used a chain hoist to raise back end. Rolled the transaxle under the frame, adjusted chain hoist and bolted her up.  Could not believe how easy it was!!!  BTW, I have a bad back too and lifting the transaxle onto the box is all the lifting I wanted to do.  Also used the rolling box to remove the old transaxle.  Hope this helps anybody attempting to remove/replace a transaxle.

• KennyP, bbuckler and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#14 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks
  • 3,270 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 09:23 PM

I got the axle seals ordered

#15 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,763 Thanks