Garden Tractor Forums banner
27K views 153 replies 24 participants last post by  Philgk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is my GK. Been doing basic maintenance on it so far. Getting there but still needs a bunch of work. Hoping to clear snow with it this winter. Creeping up fast.

Doors from a parts machine.

Wheel weights from ebay.

All new fluids.

I plan on posting as much helpful info on here so the GK owners have a place to discuss the unknown.

Anyone have any idea of production numbers?

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
My first major project was to reconstruct (as close as possible) the lift bell crank pivot post. See pictures of before and after. Welders out there - don't judge my out of position welds. :watch_over_fence:

Attachments

#4 ·
No idea yet on production numbers I been collecting serial numbers for all bolens. Always willing to add more.

#5 ·
Here's my info: If you don't mind i'm going to start a topic GK Model/Serial Numbers.

GK tractor: Model: 19604 0 Serial: 177

GK tractor: Model: 19604 0 Serial: 76 (i don't see a '1' in front of this one but it most likely is '176')

GK Snowcaster: Model: 19602 01 Serial: 178

GK Blade: Model: 19603 01 Serial: 484

GK 72" Mower: Model: unreadable or unprinted Serial: 482

Thanks for working on this.

#6 ·
Here's my info: If you don't mind i'm going to start a topic GK Model/Serial Numbers.

GK tractor: Model: 19604 0 Serial: 177

GK tractor: Model: 19604 0 Serial: 76 (i don't see a '1' in front of this one but it most likely is '176')

GK Snowcaster: Model: 19602 01 Serial: 178

GK Blade: Model: 19603 01 Serial: 484

GK 72" Mower: Model: unreadable or unprinted Serial: 482

Thanks for working on this.
Can you post a photo of the ID tags of the tractors?

Reactions: chieffan
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Part of my hydraulic project was to identify the components and do "regular" maintenance. I found the hydraulic filter in rough shape and was able to locate a replacement. The filter I removed was a Bendix 046648. The filter I replaced it with was a Baldwin PT459. I also replaced the oil (obviously) with regular hydraulic R&O hydraulic fluid from NAPA. The hydraulic pump is a Cessna (still identifying) (70 04 PWS C H20490 OAD2A). The accumulator is a Greerolator (Greer Olaer Products), 15 cu in., s/n 65-12712, 1600 psig @ 185°F. I've been working with a Parker rep. in case I ever need a replacement. Here is what he has sent me so far for replacements in case someone needs this info:

ALT​
Size​
Port Size​
Length​
O.D.​
ACP05AA032E1KTC​
20 C.I.​
#8 SAE​
10.00"​
2.38"​
AD032B21T9A1​
.32 Liter​
#8 SAE​
5.35"​
3.62"​

Attachments

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't have photos of all the ID tags right now but here are the ones I have so far. I'll get the rest soon. The numbers are faded on a lot of the tags. You need to use a flashlight and find the right angle where the white letters appear so you can read them.

Parts GK tractor SN

GK snowcaster SN

GK 72" flex mower SN

GK dirt/snow plow SN

Working GK tractor SN (2 pics - SN hard to see)

Attachments

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
One thing i've notice in the GK manual on the lubrication chart (3-2) is there are no quantities for oils. I have compiled the following so far. Please feel free to correct me if you have had a different experience.

Transmission: 2 quarts, SAE 90 gear oil

Hydraulic reservoir: (not sure yet. be sure to not overfill. when you retract the steering and lift cylinders the excess oil goes back to the tank and will overflow all over the place)

Drop axles: 6oz each

Chain case: ? (can't figure out how to drain the darn thing)

Range box: 36oz

Steering gear case: ? (i'm planning on changing this out)

NOTE: when re-tightening bolts be sure not to over tighten them. I have already broken off two bolts. They are very soft. One was in the drop axle oil bath cover. The other was on one of the hydraulic valve mount bolts. Thankfully neither are critical. It didn't feel like they were tight at all so check your torque specs for whatever type of bolt is installed in your machines and be careful.

#10 ·
I don't have photos of all the ID tags right now but here are the ones I have so far. I'll get the rest soon. The numbers are faded on a lot of the tags. You need to use a flashlight and find the right angle where the white letters appear so you can read them.

Parts GK tractor SN

GK snowcaster SN
Just fyi the ID tag for these are under the cover that is under the front of the seat. Looks like you have the serial number of the cab for your parts tractor.

#14 ·
firedudetl1,

Thanks. The snow is discharged through a regular chute. right now the chute is missing because it was cracked and i needed to fix and repaint it. This snowblower is kind of cool. It is (what I call) an inline two stage blower. The center section turns faster than the outer augers. I'd never seen it before. If i get it up and running I'll post some videos of it.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought I'd share these awesome pictures i found on the web. Concept grounds keepers. Below they call them estate keepers but who knows what they were called during the conceptual phase. I wanted to give credit where credit is due.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bolens+estate&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizncfG8LzXAhVBSSYKHTQhAzMQ_AUIEygC&biw=768&bih=905#imgrc=rwrwA_zamAo62M:

Brooks Stevens, (American, 1911-1995)
Bolens Corporation
Estate Keeper, n.d.
8x10 BW negative
8x10 BW print
Brooks Stevens Archive, Milwaukee Art Museum, Gift of the Brooks Stevens Family and the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
BSA_BR_2515
Mower
This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.

http://archive.mam.org/brooks-stevens/details.php?id=1391

Brooks Stevens, (American, 1911-1995)
Bolens Corporation
Estate Keeper, 1963-10-26
8x10 BW negative
8x10 BW print[x2]
Brooks Stevens Archive, Milwaukee Art Museum, Gift of the Brooks Stevens Family and the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
BSA_BR_2502
Utility tractor
This information is subject to change as the result of ongoing research.

Attachments

#16 ·
I thought I'd share the awesome pictures i found on the web. Concept grounds keepers.
I have talked to the guy who help design the GK. I'll see if I can find his story about it and post it.

#18 ·
Philgk being a "Big Fan" of Bolens isn't weird at all.... Everyone starts with their 1st Bolens purchase and then they get a thing called the Bolens Bug!! The Bolens Bug is a disease that wives, girlfriends, friends and family don't generally understand... Once the disease fully kicks in the Bolens will start to multiply and fill all your free space in your garage, shop or shed! You will spend countless hours searching, chasing, Buying and repairing/restoring Bolens equipment! Vacations will no longer be leisurely trips to see scenery, visit an amusement park or a historical place. Once the Bolens Bug kicks in Vacation planning starts with a Craigslist search for Bolens treasures, then you make a deal with the seller and plan your vacation around the town/city the Bolens is for sale in..... It happens to the best of us and there is all different levels of it! Just ask Jerome, he has it BAD! Or ask my Wife! LOL. Anytime I plan a spontaneous trip away from home for my wife and I she automatically knows I'm chasing something Bolens! Good luck with the GK and the disease! Were all here to help you through it!

#20 ·
Philgk being a "Big Fan" of Bolens isn't weird at all.... Everyone starts with their 1st Bolens purchase and then they get a thing called the Bolens Bug!! The Bolens Bug is a disease that wives, girlfriends, friends and family don't generally understand... Once the disease fully kicks in the Bolens will start to multiply and fill all your free space in your garage, shop or shed! You will spend countless hours searching, chasing, Buying and repairing/restoring Bolens equipment! Vacations will no longer be leisurely trips to see scenery, visit an amusement park or a historical place. Once the Bolens Bug kicks in Vacation planning starts with a Craigslist search for Bolens treasures, then you make a deal with the seller and plan your vacation around the town/city the Bolens is for sale in..... It happens to the best of us and there is all different levels of it! Just ask Jerome, he has it BAD! Or ask my Wife! LOL. Anytime I plan a spontaneous trip away from home for my wife and I she automatically knows I'm chasing something Bolens! Good luck with the GK and the disease! Were all here to help you through it!
Lol I have so done that.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have talked to the guy who help design the GK. I'll see if I can find his story about it and post it.
I'd LOVE to hear it too! That would be wonderful. I recently found a picture that I framed which was purchased from a cool website called, historicalimages.com It was an original black and white photograph of two guys working on putting the Bolens GK's together on the assembly line at the Bolens factory. I'll snap a pic of it and share it with everyone.

I think this is the bug you get with any garden tractor purchase. I have my Massey Ferguson 1855, Case 224, Ford LGT 195, Sears FF/20, Cub Cadet 2082 Super Garden Tractor and I can barely find time for all of these. I'm thrilled that Phil bought my GK's and can give them the time and attention they deserve. Again, great work, Phil!!!

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is never a good sign when draining a gear box - see attached movie. (Use QuickTime Player to open). This is water from the GK snowblower gearbox. Surprisingly the gearbox interior was not in that bad of shape. Cleaned the box out, added an elbow to the cover (so I could actually access it), sealed it up and back in business.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
The chute on the blower was cracked into pieces. I had some guys weld it up for me. It is cast aluminum so it's kind of hard to weld. The sand that is caught in the pockets causes issues when welding. Anyways, I used some RTV to isolate the aluminum from the blower housing. I also changed the way it mounts to the housing. The original design had a bolt coming through the housing into a tapped hole in the cast aluminum. The aluminum was taking all of the punishment. Both of the corners with the tapped holes were cracked off the chute completely. Someone had taken sheet metal screws and RTV and re-fastened the chute to the housing. It worked and was actually pretty hard to remove. I created a clamp design with rubber pads adhered to the bottom so there is no metal to metal contact between the chute and the housing. Not too pretty but it will work for this year.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I replaced the lower second stage drive sprocket. It had been eaten by mouse urine. The #50 chain was completely eaten in half. The sprocket was toast. I removed the idler, blasted and painted it. I keep having to stop and remind myself that I'm not restoring this machine but just making it mechanically sound. It's easy to get off on tangents.

The auger drive chains are #40 chain. I did not go through the spring clutch thingy (technical term) that protects the auger drives. I'm hoping it won't give me any issues this season. I'll tear it apart next year.

Oh, and yes I do love never-seize.

Attachments