#16 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 5,567 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 08:05 PM

I thought I'd share the awesome pictures i found on the web. Concept grounds keepers.

I have talked to the guy who help design the GK. I'll see if I can find his story about it and post it.  

• Bolens 1000 and jpswift1 have said thanks

#17 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • Member No: 88568
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 08:22 PM

That's totally awesome! I love knowing those stories and the history behind the designs. Did he work for FMC? FMC made a ton of unique ag equipment. I'm a big fan. If i can say that without sounding totally crazy.
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#18 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,243 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 04:44 AM

Philgk being a "Big Fan" of Bolens isn't weird at all....  Everyone starts with their 1st Bolens purchase and then they get a thing called the Bolens Bug!! The Bolens Bug is a disease that wives, girlfriends, friends and family don't generally understand... Once the disease fully kicks in the Bolens will start to multiply and fill all your free space in your garage, shop or shed! You will spend countless hours searching, chasing, Buying and repairing/restoring Bolens equipment! Vacations will no longer be leisurely trips to see scenery, visit an amusement park or a historical place. Once the Bolens Bug kicks in Vacation planning starts with a Craigslist search for Bolens treasures, then you make a deal with the seller and plan your vacation around the town/city the Bolens is for sale in..... It happens to the best of us and there is all different levels of it! Just ask Jerome, he has it BAD!  Or ask my Wife! LOL. Anytime I plan a spontaneous trip away from home for my wife and I she automatically knows I'm chasing something Bolens! Good luck with the GK and the disease! Were all here to help you through it!

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#19 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,475 Thanks
  • 848 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 11:44 AM

Good looking machine, congrats! :thumbs: :thumbs:  I'll bet it's a hoot to operate. Keep us posted. Looks like a fun project and something that will meet your intentions well.

#20 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 5,567 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 04:32 PM

Philgk being a "Big Fan" of Bolens isn't weird at all....  Everyone starts with their 1st Bolens purchase and then they get a thing called the Bolens Bug!! The Bolens Bug is a disease that wives, girlfriends, friends and family don't generally understand... Once the disease fully kicks in the Bolens will start to multiply and fill all your free space in your garage, shop or shed! You will spend countless hours searching, chasing, Buying and repairing/restoring Bolens equipment! Vacations will no longer be leisurely trips to see scenery, visit an amusement park or a historical place. Once the Bolens Bug kicks in Vacation planning starts with a Craigslist search for Bolens treasures, then you make a deal with the seller and plan your vacation around the town/city the Bolens is for sale in..... It happens to the best of us and there is all different levels of it! Just ask Jerome, he has it BAD!  Or ask my Wife! LOL. Anytime I plan a spontaneous trip away from home for my wife and I she automatically knows I'm chasing something Bolens! Good luck with the GK and the disease! Were all here to help you through it!

Lol I have so done that.  

• Bolens 1000 and LPBolens have said thanks

#21 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 05:56 PM

I new I was feeling well.  :)  Thanks for the diagnosis.

Thanks all.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#22 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 487 Thanks
  • 457 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:59 PM

I have talked to the guy who help design the GK. I'll see if I can find his story about it and post it.  

I'd LOVE to hear it too!  That would be wonderful.  I recently found a picture that I framed which was purchased from a cool website called, historicalimages.com  It was an original black and white photograph of two guys working on putting the Bolens GK's together on the assembly line at the Bolens factory.  I'll snap a pic of it and share it with everyone.

I think this is the bug you get with any garden tractor purchase.  I have my Massey Ferguson 1855, Case 224, Ford LGT 195, Sears FF/20, Cub Cadet 2082 Super Garden Tractor and I can barely find time for all of these.  I'm thrilled that Phil bought my GK's and can give them the time and attention they deserve.  Again, great work, Phil!!!

Edited by jpswift1, November 14, 2017 - 09:59 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 06:43 PM

This is never a good sign when draining a gear box - see attached movie. (Use QuickTime Player to open). This is water from the GK snowblower gearbox.  Surprisingly the gearbox interior was not in that bad of shape.  Cleaned the box out, added an elbow to the cover (so I could actually access it), sealed it up and back in business.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8359.JPG
  • IMG_8435.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by Philgk, December 02, 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#24 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 06:54 PM

The chute on the blower was cracked into pieces.  I had some guys weld it up for me.  It is cast aluminum so it's kind of hard to weld.  The sand that is caught in the pockets causes issues when welding.  Anyways, I used some RTV to isolate the aluminum from the blower housing.  I also changed the way it mounts to the housing.  The original design had a bolt coming through the housing into a tapped hole in the cast aluminum.  The aluminum was taking all of the punishment.  Both of the corners with the tapped holes were cracked off the chute completely.  Someone had taken sheet metal screws and RTV and re-fastened the chute to the housing.  It worked and was actually pretty hard to remove.  I created a clamp design with rubber pads adhered to the bottom so there is no metal to metal contact between the chute and the housing.  Not too pretty but it will work for this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8408.JPG
  • IMG_8409.JPG

Edited by Philgk, December 02, 2017 - 07:49 PM.

• LPBolens said thank you

#25 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 07:02 PM

I replaced the lower second stage drive sprocket.  It had been eaten by mouse urine.  The #50 chain was completely eaten in half.  The sprocket was toast.  I removed the idler, blasted and painted it.  I keep having to stop and remind myself that I'm not restoring this machine but just making it mechanically sound.  It's easy to get off on tangents.

The auger drive chains are #40 chain.  I did not go through the spring clutch thingy (technical term) that protects the auger drives.  I'm hoping it won't give me any issues this season.  I'll tear it apart next year.

Oh, and yes I do love never-seize.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8433.JPG
  • IMG_8434.JPG
  • IMG_8436.JPG
  • IMG_8437.JPG

Edited by Philgk, December 02, 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#26 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Got the chute back together.  Cool assembly with the Teflon cord inside.  Just follow what the manual tells you to do.  Put a screw in the end and work the chute back and forth.  The cord goes right in. 

Chute rotating - see attached video (watch with QuickTime Player). 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8406.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by Philgk, December 02, 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#27 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Dry running machine.  (Use QuickTime to open)

Attached Files

Edited by Philgk, December 02, 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#28 Philgk OFFLINE  

Philgk
  • 42 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 07:28 PM

Who is the resident expert on Wisconsin THD engines?  I am not familiar with the governor and magnetos.  I just want to make sure i've got the engine set up correctly.

#29 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 487 Thanks
  • 457 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 12:26 AM

Phil,

I'm so happy to see how you've given this machine such a great home.  It looks and sounds great!  I can't wait to see how it'll perform.  I hear we're supposed to be getting hit with some pretty heavy snow 1 to 1-1/2 feet, so it looks like you might be giving it a shake down run very soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, grounds keeper, gk960