6 replies to this topic

#1 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5,179 Thanks
  • 2,256 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 07:13 PM

Fellow member,  MRMD, called me on Thursday.  He had seen aa flyer about an FFA plow day in Emden, IL.  scheduled  for today.  We made some quick plans and decided to meet them there.  It was a straight shot west for about two hours. Turned out that we were the only garden tractors to show up.  I talked to a few of the other participants.  They had garden tractors and plows , but it hadn't occurred to them to bring them to a plow day.   Hopefully we changed that.

Once the sun came out and the wind died down a little it wasn't a bad day to be plowing.  

I had the tractor/plow set up in the shop using the blocks under the tires and squaring up the plow.  However when I dropped it in the dirt I couldn't get a good furrow.   And I kept building up a lot of trash. I took the plow off and repositioned the three point arms and adjusters.   Plowing got better but I was still having problems getting a nice furrow, and had problems keeping the tractor in the furrow.   :mad2:    

However I got some seat time and got to play in the dirt!      :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

It was good to see Mike and Chris again.   The wife took a few pictures.  She even got a couple of Mike and his Allis Chalmers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • SUNP0065.JPG
  • SUNP0066.JPG
  • SUNP0067.JPG
  • SUNP0068.JPG
  • SUNP0070.JPG
  • SUNP0071.JPG
  • SUNP0072.JPG

• Gtractor, jms180, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,152 Thanks
  • 10,212 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 07:42 PM

Is it normal to have to add weight to get the plow to dig in?

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#3 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5,179 Thanks
  • 2,256 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 08:15 PM

Is it normal to have to add weight to get the plow to dig in?

That was something new I tried.  Don't think it is needed.   At the last plow day it wouldn't suck in very well this time it was going to China no matter where I set the point.  It was either skimming the top or going way too deep.  I was making minor adjustments and getting major changes in depth.   Next time it will have a depth wheel.    rick

• KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,210 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 10:07 PM

On my Brinly 3 point plow I found I needed to tune the land slide to accomplish 2 things:

1) My hitch has enough flex that the plow would swing left and try to cut a furrow that was wider than when I set it up on blocks with no pull on it.  So I was trying to cut a 13 or 14" furrow with a 12" plow.  Doesn't work well.

2) Get a straight pull so the plow wasn't trying to steer the tractor.

I was the only GT at that plow day and once I got the plow tuned I was shaming most of the big tractors. :thumbs:

A trick I picked up at the Sugarcreek show - the plow has 2 holes to attach the top link.  You're only using one.  Stick a pin through the other and hang a couple wrenches on it so they're handy to adjust the plow in the field.

A coulter might help with the trash.

Edited by MiCarl, November 11, 2017 - 10:14 PM.

• TomLGT195 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,970 Thanks
  • 3,019 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 12:53 AM

So how did you go about tuning the landside?  I've had similar problems in the past, new moldboard shoe fixed the worst of it, but still..........

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#6 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,210 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 07:11 AM

So how did you go about tuning the landside?  I've had similar problems in the past, new moldboard shoe fixed the worst of it, but still..........

I guess I kind of misrepresented it.  It's the Landing adjustment, pp 4 of the manual.  Basically you're changing the angle of the shoe to the standard to adjust how the plow tracks.

If I recall correctly the sleeve hitch plows have the same adjustment.

Manual attached.

Attached Files

Edited by MiCarl, November 12, 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,469 Thanks
  • 4,725 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 09:59 AM

Rick, would a coulter have kept the "trash" off the plow?

When I was plowing last month in Illinois, I tried using the coulter to make a straighter cut in the dirt (sand), but then the plow was too light and wouldn't pull into the ground. The field was bean stubble and the trash wasn't a big issue.