21 replies to this topic

#1 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 86696
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hi there just pick up this parts blower was wondering if any of you guys had experience removing the 10 inch pulley from the impeller shaft? I think the pulley is installed the wrong way? Hub should be face out away from snow blower housing.  thanks mustagman

Attached Thumbnails

• hhhhyt 036.JPG

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,169 Thanks
  • 8,887 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 06:48 PM

Soak it with a penetrating oil and take your time. That could be months. I would look at using small wooden wedges under the pulley to push it up gently. The more evenly spaced wedges, the less likely to warp the pulley. A bit of heat to the hub will help but may damage what is underneath. Sometimes a tap with a mallet will free it. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 11, 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#3 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 902 Thanks
  • 489 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 07:08 PM

before oiling, clean shaft up nice and shiney with emery cloth,

then appy the penetrating oil, cleaning the shaft first will help in removal 

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,494 Thanks
  • 7,850 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 07:57 PM

Pulley don't line up? Maybe if you have parts blow up, might check if shown. If no alignment needed then leave alone. Hate to see any damage and maybe not needing fixed?
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 77 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 04:13 AM

Had to remove mine a few years ago to rebuild the gear box. Finally gave up and cut it off. New one was around $70, iirc. Before you go that route, make sure replacement pulley is still available.
  • Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,054 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 06:48 AM

I had one like that I drilled 3 holes in it then put my wheel puller in the holes I drilled. They only have to be big enough to get your wheel puller tangs in , I think 1/2 or 9/16 bit is what I used. But depend on your wheel puller.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,455 Thanks
  • 44,940 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 07:01 AM

Definitely want to be careful as it looks like that pulley would be easy to bend. Might want to make sure there isn't a set screw inside!

#8 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 77 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 02:15 PM

I had one like that I drilled 3 holes in it then put my wheel puller in the holes I drilled. They only have to be big enough to get your wheel puller tangs in , I think 1/2 or 9/16 bit is what I used. But depend on your wheel puller.

I tried that and it bent.

#9 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,054 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 05:54 PM

I tried that and it bent.

I put my holes as close to the shaft as possible and had no issues. When I put the puller on it got a bit tight at first and I was starting to worry but it slid and once it did I knew I was bringing the bacon home, it was easy street after that.

#10 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 620 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 10:26 AM

I recently tore down a snowblower as well.  I found a cheap "parts" unit.  I cleaned up the shaft with emery cloth, soaked the shaft/pulley hub with penetrating oil, & put the bolt back in the shaft.  Install a couple wedges behind the pulley, gave it few good whacks with a 4 lb. hand-held sledge hammer, it come right off.

#11 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 86696
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yea thanks for all the info got the pulley off 71mustangman

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 07:35 PM

I am at the same point with my machine right now... don't see any setscrews.... have blower on blocks nose down, 1st stage blower bearings out, (trying to use the weight of the gearbox and augers to help it move)  heating the hub and soaking... I am gonna have to block the pulley up off the housing to make room for the shaft to move enough so the woodruff key doesn't hit against the flange bearing to prevent the shaft from being able to drop down thru the pulley...   you say you think that your pulley was on backwards? Mine is on the same way as yours so yours probably isn't/ wasn't backwards.

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,982 Thanks
  • 2,121 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 11:06 PM

The guy that fixed mine for me(I'm not even remotely equipped to do this kind of fabrication/cutting work) had to cut mine down to get a puller on it as it was badly damaged to start with, new pulleys from Ariens are expensive, I got a good pulley from a walk behind with a riveted in hub, took the saved center from the original and made a center and trued it up on a lathe. I'm into mine around $300, 100 purchase price, 100 for repair, rest covered parts and fuel.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted December 04, 2017 - 06:53 AM

I didnt get the big torches out but I heated it with a MAPP torch til the hub was a dull cherry red but could only get it that way in any one spot... took a long time to get there, at one point I thought it moved a bit, looking under the pulley I see a spot on the shaft behind the pulley about 1/16-1/8" where it looks like it might have moved that far, I would have thought that if it moved that far that would be enough to unseat it and it would have come all the way... but maybe it hasn't... I know that pulley doesn't rub against the back bearing, maybe that is just "dirt" from sitting in that one spot on the shaft for so many years....  I had it cherry'd  right where the woodruff key sits and again (not at the same time) about right across from it.  gonna have to get the big torch out I believe... I am doing all that I can to save the pulley but it is looking more + more like it may have to be sacrificed.... I wonder if I cah get one that size from the industrial bearing supply house in town?  Don't want to give Jack's $73 just for a pulley....

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 07:44 PM

well its fubar'ed, went to have another go at it today, i left a couple of wedges stuck in there for a couple of days and no dice, spun it to see that it is now bent...

I stuck a 5/16" bolt in the end of the shaft and was hitting on it, had a couple of glancing blows catch the corner of the bolt head and I got the pulley instead the otherd ay when I 1st tried... so now its time to be cut off and I get to find another pulley... oh, joy.

• KennyP said thank you