• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 04:25 PM

For the last couple of years I have been determined to find an authentic 'Arrowhead' . 

This is just an ongoing thing that I have been doing with my Uncle . He has spent his entire life doing this as a hobby when he can get the time .

Over the last 70 years or so he has accumulated a pretty damn good collection . I would estimate that he has over 200 displayed in shadowboxes. 

They are not valuable , but they can be beautiful and very intricate. 

What I have learned is " it really isn't about the finding .. it is more about the looking". 

I live in Michigan and have read some history of the native Indians . Sad history indeed. 

There were very many here when the first Europeans made contact way back in the 1600's .

They lived here for 10 thousands of years so you would think evidence would be everywhere , but that is not so.

Everything they used when alive would be biodegradable except for the tips of their arrows and spears. And then most of the ground is covered in years of leaves and loam. 

Anyway , lately me and my uncle get on the google maps satellite view and look for likely  locations to explore...that he has not found. 

We then go out and look around the area , you need to have open ground , edges of plowed fields or sand dunes , must have a water source close by. 

In the past we have had some success this is a pile of mostly flakes and chips.

S5001602.jpg

The whole point of this is that we found a good location nearby the other day on maps and went out and walked the ground and looked. 

Didn't find anything ... but a wonderful walk thru the woods and a few pictures. 

S5001727.jpg S5001730.jpg S5001732.JPG

But what fun it is to spend time with my uncle and just walk thru the woods care free .

• hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 10 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,019 Thanks
  • 1,487 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 04:59 PM

it's great hobby hunting for heads, once you figure how to read the land and train your eye on what to look for it comes with alot of time and experience and 99% luck!
I got into it a few years ago and it's amazing to find a head knowing the last time it was touched was 1000's of years ago, it's neat to when you find pottery shards
  • KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,857 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 05:26 PM

That's quite the find you have there , My Dad found many of them when he worked in the woods of northern  Wisconsin about 90 years ago , Unfortunately most of them have disappeared but I the cherish the few I have left and think of my Father when I look at them and think of the joy he had when he found them. 

• KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,175 Thanks
  • 5,944 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like fun. It sure would be fun to meet those who have gone before us. Many simple skills have been forgotten.

• boyscout862, MGP59DB and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#5 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 06:01 PM

Yes , that is exactly it Jabel ! Those chips and flakes I found are untouched by anyone until I picked them up , No telling whether they are 200 YO or 2000 , but we know that someone sat there and made arrowheads and tools at some time in the past , they were all found on a 1/4 mile stretch of 2 track in the middle of nowhere. Indians camped there next to the lake for millenium. We found that whole pile on the same day . And I have found some small pottery shards.

I wish I had google map satellite photo's from the past 1000 years. 

I will get some pictures of my uncles collection next time I go over there. 

Edited by MGP59DB, November 10, 2017 - 06:05 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 603 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 07:53 PM

Hunting for stone age artifacts is one of my favorite hobbies. It can be a long time between finds however. My best find was  a  stone axe head I found about 1/4 mile from my house. One of my most prized points was found by my mom when she was working in the garden of my boyhood home.

• Cvans, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Bob White12 ONLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 08:17 PM

yeah lot of history were I live too. My dad even found a grave sight he doesn't tell many people about it and he has found beads teeth and even a finger bone. 

• Cvans, MFDAC, MGP59DB and 1 other said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,185 Thanks
  • 5,620 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 08:26 PM

If I can find them I will post pictures. My grandfather had a huge collection. He found them all local to us from the 70s to 90s. Every spring when the farmers turned over their fields he would spend hours searching the dirt.

It was harder around here because so much around us was strip mined. It tore up 1000s of acres of land.

My mom most likely has his collection. I haven't thought of them for years. Brought back some good memories.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 10, 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• Cvans, MFDAC, MGP59DB and 1 other said thanks

#9 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,891 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 06:37 AM

Arrow heads are a reminder to us that this place belonged to some one else. I have seen many. And left them.

• MGP59DB and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#10 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 301 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 08:42 AM

A friend of mine that lives down the road has been collecting arrowheads for years. We live beside the Susquehanna river and that's where he finds them, right along the shore.

• KennyP, MGP59DB and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#11 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 09:13 AM

Here is some more food for thought .

Years ago , 1960s  , my uncle had located an old 'Trading Post' that was falling apart in mid-Mich. For the heck of it he followed the old trail into the nearby hills looking for anything he might find. 

He came across this old Indian burial ground. 

This place would have been occupied in the 1850s and before by logging companies. 

If you didn't know it is here you would never find it , there are no signs and barely a road to lead you to it. 

It is a very reverant place and you can feel the history just being here.

This first marker is from the later years .

S5001565.JPG S5001564.JPG

Reads.

Joseph Pa Pah Mee

Chief and counseler for

the Ottawas and Chippewas 

and a preacher of the 

Catholic Denomination 

Died 

May 4th 1870

Now these markers would have been made because modern society required them .

The catch is in this area there are numerous plain rocks all over these two hilltops . Some other markers but mostly just stones placed around. 

S5001570.JPG

There is an area between the hills with a massive pile of rocks , you might think well just the farmers moving rocks out of the fields , but why would they move them halfway up a hill? Doesn't make sense.

S5001571.JPG

As you enter the area , a stone stairway .

S5001572.JPG

Looking out over the valley. 

S5001568.JPG

Walking around this place is something special in my opinion . You can never know how many generations used this site nor the meaning of so many markers . 

It is very peaceful up on these hills . 

• KennyP, Bud W, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#12 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 603 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 12:20 PM

Since we all like pictures here is part of my collection. Also found tractor and manure spreader parts while searching.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2745 (1).JPG

• olcowhand, Bud W, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,175 Thanks
  • 5,944 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 11:11 PM

Some of those are really nice. 

• MGP59DB and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#14 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 07:41 AM

I have a good friend ,Steve,He is 76 years old and is an arrow head magnet,He and a couple old friends of his go out after heavy rains and in the spring and always find arrow heads and have found spear tips ,I on the other hand enjoy lookin for them and really enjoy the walk in the country but I think I chase them all away,Never have found 1 in all the years I have looked,I do have some I bought at auction if they were cheap but most sell really high,I did find 2 indian game balls they are cool,I "found" them at an auction we did this summer and they were in the yard ornaments ,No body realize what they were till after I bought them,Then 2 guys approached me about buying them.I was offered $100 each but declined,I like them and bought them for me to keep.Maybe someday I will actually find one in the wild!!!

• KennyP, Bud W, Cvans and 1 other said thanks