• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • Member No: 88824
  • 39 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 08:20 PM

The last weekend of Oct there was an auction near Dixon IL that had attachments for your tractor. Maybe I can contact some collectors in your area that might be able to help.

that would be great - thx 

#32 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 39 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 07:14 AM

Genuine Midland sulky seat too.  :thumbs:

Tell me about the David Bradley walk behind tractor - I'm wondering if they were also made in 52 because every time I enter DB in the computer, the image that comes up looks exactly like mine. and it has a sulky just like mine with the wheel being identical. And there is not a data plate on the tractor itself. 

Edited by Rocky, November 20, 2017 - 07:19 AM.

#33 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• Member No: 3509
  • 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 01:45 PM

It appears it may be a 1951-55 Montgomery Ward Chor-trac.

It used the Clinton 1100 3hp, was 5spd, and included reverse, which yours has.

Tires should be 6x12

As others stated, it was manufactured by Midland.

According to my research, the D-1100 was first produced in 1951 and was replaced by the 1200 in 1954.

• KennyP and Rocky have said thanks

#34 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 39 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 02:44 PM

Thank you - that makes it clearer - the engine was manufactured in 1952 according to a pamphlet that was found online and for awhile I thought maybe it was a David Bradley but later I discounted that idea and settled for the Midland. I cleaned off the grease and crud and did not find a data plate, tag or anything else that could identify it. The wheels are 6x12's and yes it's a five speed. Most of what I have found out about it was by research and from people like you that knows a lot more about it then I do. Ok now to start locating attachments I can afford. I have found many on EBAY  and so far my offers has been rejected. 

I want to thank you for the info and all the others also.

It appears it may be a 1951-55 Montgomery Ward Chor-trac.

It used the Clinton 1100 3hp, was 5spd, and included reverse, which yours has.

Tires should be 6x12

As others stated, it was manufactured by Midland.

According to my research, the D-1100 was first produced in 1951 and was replaced by the 1200 in 1954.

• twowheeler63 said thank you

#35 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 03:15 PM

You're welcome.

I have taken it upon myself to try to catalog the walkbehind tractors manufactured by Simplicity and Midland, as well as the machines that Montgomery Ward sold, that was manufactured by the two companies.

I have several of each, and my first one came to me about 1968 or so, when my Dad bought it for me to use in the garden. I still have that tractor.

I also used to have a vast array of DBs, but have whittled it down to just two now. Many regrets though.

• KennyP, jimmy G and Rocky have said thanks

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 04:10 PM

You're welcome.

I have taken it upon myself to try to catalog the walkbehind tractors manufactured by Simplicity and Midland, as well as the machines that Montgomery Ward sold, that was manufactured by the two companies.

I have several of each, and my first one came to me about 1968 or so, when my Dad bought it for me to use in the garden. I still have that tractor.

I also used to have a vast array of DBs, but have whittled it down to just two now. Many regrets though.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you and your knowledge aboard! Whereabouts in Kansas?

#37 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 39 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 05:59 PM

twowheeler63 - it looks like your the go to guy and if you don't mind - can I call on you if I need help or info on something pertaining to my tractor?

#38 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 07:48 AM

KennyP, I'm outside Paola, KS. about an hour south of KC. Thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for years, and spend a lot of time on the FBook pages, but, there's a lot more information here, no matter what type of GT you have.

Rocky, I don't know about being the "go to guy", but , if I can help, I will. Thanks for the compliment.

• KennyP and Rocky have said thanks

#39 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 826 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 09:04 AM

hi twowheeler63, got'a ask how far back you go with the simplicity's ? Need info on a couple and will do a new thread if you have answers, don't want to hijack this post lol

Edited by jimmy G, November 30, 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 09:54 AM

KennyP, I'm outside Paola, KS. about an hour south of KC. Thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for years, and spend a lot of time on the FBook pages, but, there's a lot more information here, no matter what type of GT you have.

Rocky, I don't know about being the "go to guy", but , if I can help, I will. Thanks for the compliment.

We have several members not far from you in Missouri.

#41 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 07:18 AM

Jimmy G

Most of my early Simplicity stuff, is gleaned from Montgomery Ward catalogs, the earliest is said to be 1936, but the story goes that Wards didn't contact Simplicity until 1937.

#42 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 07:34 AM

Jimmy G

After reading one of your previous threads, it's safe to say that you are far ahead of me on Simplicity history.

It appears you have done a massive amount of research.

• jimmy G said thank you

#43 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 826 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 01:53 AM

the earliest is said to be 1936, but the story goes that Wards didn't contact Simplicity until 1937.

I'm go'na get in trouble yet, I'm hiding behind the spirit of the site in sharing to bend proper etiquette lol, i will apologise for it best way i know in my next post, the 36 and 37 ward's are built by Bolens and originally powered with a Hummer engine, in 37 ward's contracts with Lauson to supply it's engine's so the later 37's built by Bolens get the Lauson, the Simplicity built tractors in 37 are for advertising the 38 model year, credit for knowledge on these wards/Bolens tractors go's to Doug T, the interpretation and infraction are wholly mine

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20171202-002538.png

#44 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 826 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 03:11 AM

Ok now to start locating attachments

hi Rocky, got'a make amends for my transgressions, the pics below are of the Simplicity hubs and are on at least 6 brands of tractors with interchangeable rear implement's, looking for these hubs at auction's, flea markets, yard sales, junkyards and even yard ornaments will increase your chances, you will want to measure your hitch before anything, 4 brands carry interchangeable front attachments, within the brands are many models with this quick hitch so look for hitchs that match regardless of make, mid 40s to mid 50s are compatible

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20171201-235527.png
  • Screenshot_20171201-235856.png
  • Screenshot_20171201-235825.png
  • Screenshot_20171201-235802.png
  • Screenshot_20171201-235738.png
  • Screenshot_20171201-235655.png

• Gtractor, twowheeler63 and Rocky have said thanks

#45 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 39 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 05:27 PM

hi Rocky, got'a make amends for my transgressions, the pics below are of the Simplicity hubs and are on at least 6 brands of tractors with interchangeable rear implement's, looking for these hubs at auction's, flea markets, yard sales, junkyards and even yard ornaments will increase your chances, you will want to measure your hitch before anything, 4 brands carry interchangeable front attachments, within the brands are many models with this quick hitch so look for hitchs that match regardless of make, mid 40s to mid 50s are compatible

Thank you JimmyG - I Kinda put the tractor on the back burner - I wrecked my truck Friday morning. I should say totaled it . so my minds been on that. I didn't get a scratch or bruise. Thanks for the info I well put in my files and remember them.  

• KennyP said thank you