• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,897 Thanks
  • 1,278 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 12:36 PM

Go with the Crown vic. Lots of parts out there.

#17 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,790 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 04:32 PM

My cousin near Nashville came up with a Volvo wagon and bragged it up to anyone that would listen. 

Said it was the best vehicle he ever owned- just raved about it.

Next time he came back to Missouri he was wrapped in a Cadillac.

SO, I asked where his Volvo was.

He said I got tired of working on it all the time and then proceeded to tell me how wonderful his Cadillac was.

I laughed.   There's good and bad ones in every brand.

Some are just gooder than others. 

:smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• volvo.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,190 Thanks
  • 5,626 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:10 PM

I know it wasn't your list. But I've had a 91 ranger 4.0 4x4 auto. Great truck horrible transmission and a 2003 3.0 4x4. Both were awesome trucks. I sold the 91 to one of dad's friends and it ran for a long time. Finally rotted in half! My 03 went 300k miles without a single mechanical issue(till I ran it out of oil..)

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 09, 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#19 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I would always lean towards a full size truck. My old man had a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton. Standard cab, long bed, and a 4.3 v6. That thing got up to 23mpg and had a 34 gallon tank. You'd forget to get gas!!!

Now a days, those generation trucks could easily be has for your price range. They even had a 4x4 with the v6. It was a real low maintenance setup with decent mileage. He ran it up to 225,000 before selling it. It's still on the road. My old man towed a lot with it also.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Jazz said thank you

#20 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • Member No: 87046
  • 49 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:29 PM

My buddy had an 89 Dakota with the 3.9 we abused that thing more than any truck deserves. He gave it to a friend who continues to abuse. That engine is tough as nails. The auto that was in it held up surprisingly well. It did eventually lose reverse but was also thrown in reverse from drive on several occasions. We put a 5 speed in it and she's still going

#21 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 604 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:43 PM

ok ok, this is my ride I paid 500 for and put 325.00 in parts into....about 3 or 4 years ago.

825.00 total is about 275.00 per year going by 3 years.

Starts and runs perfect no knock, ping, or smoke. Does not burn a drop of oil. Has hauled loads or wood, tractors, kayaks, and what ever else I tie to it. 

attachicon.gif20170519_101714.jpg attachicon.gif20170528_125914.jpg

attachicon.gif20160710_113653.jpg attachicon.gif20160802_124541.jpg

attachicon.gif20170729_080221.jpg attachicon.gif20170216_144454.jpg

I honestly think its been 4 years now so that 206.00 per year. 

Over 300K and running strong.

This is my daily driver winter beater work car. 

attachicon.gifRuby2.jpg

So simple and easy to work on, but so reliable you probably won't have to. 

So whats the engine in your daily driver? Non turbo?

#22 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 275 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 09:20 PM

Dakotas are rust prone for sure, at least here in PA.  As far as suspension, the front of a 4X4 2000 has torsion bars & leaf springs out back.  The one I'm familiar with has a 4.7 V8, same as in my full size 1500.  Been a reliable engine but no gas miser.

#23 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:45 PM

I own an 01 ford expedition eddie bauer package with a towing package and the 5.4 triton,I would not trade it for anything It gets 17 mpg average and there isnt much it cant tow and the shorter wheel base makes backing a trailer in tight spaces a breeze,More then plenty of power ,I have owned it for 4 years now and besides regular maintenance I had to replace brake pads 1 time ,1Idler pulley,and just recently the lower rear control arms (they rust out,Very common problem)grand total in parts just under $200 in parts in 4 years Still running the same 10 ply yokohama tires for 4 years although I am planning to replace them next spring or summer,She has 248,000 on her and still looks great,No rust and drives and runs great,We are looking for another one just like it to replace it with and give this one to our oldest daughter

#24 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 604 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:55 PM

Wow, lots of great responses here guys, keep them coming...

As for the volvos, i know they have an awesome reputation, and honestly ive never driven, or even riddin in one. I just dont think i could bring myself to buy an overseas nameplate....

The 90s ford fullsize trucks were/are definatly on my radar. But i already have one that style and im sure id get sick of looking at the same gauges and dash lol. I wouldnt mind a bricknose (87-91) ford if i could find a decent 1/2 ton 4wd with manual everything and a inline 6 (never been a huge 302 guy).

I totally forgot about the fullsize chevy 4.3 trucks. My dads got a 94 S10 with a 4.3. I may check into the fullsize ones a bit more. I do like the TBI chevies.

As for the 3.0/4.0 rangers, ive had buddies with the 4.0, they are an impressive engine but they always seemed to have little electrical bugs related to fords early attempts at distributorless igniton. The 3.0 im not a fan of. The 4 banger ones are just way to nutless for me.

As far as bang for your buck, and various other critera, im really, really leaning toward the Vic/Marquis. I got my 97 F250 if i need to haul stuff, and the vic would function nice with a hitch and my utility trailer for hauling GTs and things. BUT, its subpar winter performance would be a pain seeing as how i haul milk, and have to get to the semi no matter what, but then again it is a main US route and only about 13 miles...

Edited by DZG, November 09, 2017 - 10:56 PM.

#25 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,868 Thanks
  • 5,508 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 11:25 PM

I'll drive my 3/4 ton Sierra until the wheels rust off..

For daily drivers we lease..  The best part of that is no repairs for me to do in my spare time..

We have a 16 Rogue and a 17 Jetta..  That turbo is gonna get me in trouble with the law tho..   :watch_over_fence:

#26 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,398 Thanks
  • 9,749 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 05:04 AM

My FIL had a early 90's Chevy stepside with the 4.3. It was problem free, aside from it being a rebuilder that had front end damage. It tracked fine and drove nice, but it liked tires.

IMG_1138.JPG

Edited by Cat385B, November 10, 2017 - 05:05 AM.

#27 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 936 Thanks
  • 725 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 11:52 AM

My daily driver is a 99 Sierra standard cab sportside 4.8l and 5 speed. No real fan of autos as it seam like every one I get I end up getting rebuilt and that includes my 05 GMC Yukon XL Denali with only 55,000 on the clock. Before I got the Yukon I had a 94 Jimmy with the 4.3 and 4 x 4 and I got 22 mpg on the highway and if it hadn't rusted out I would still be driving it. Oh it only had 180,000 on it.

#28 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 01:43 PM

I should add although I am a ford nut thats hard to crack on that position,The ford trucks and expeditions like mine98 on up till the next bodystyle change suck for major work ,To replace a head gasket on my expedition you have to basically remove the whole body The motor is set back so far its hard to do otherwise

• dodge trucker said thank you

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,190 Thanks
  • 5,626 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 09:46 PM

I should add although I am a ford nut thats hard to crack on that position,The ford trucks and expeditions like mine98 on up till the next bodystyle change suck for major work ,To replace a head gasket on my expedition you have to basically remove the whole body The motor is set back so far its hard to do otherwise

Nothing is easy to work on these days....
  • dodge trucker and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,024 Thanks
  • 2,681 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 12:04 AM

on the Dakota 3.9.... dependable as the day is long, yes.... it is a 318 with 2 cylinders chopped off, basically...

BUT remember the old Buicks odd fire/even fire? When they made the V6 out of the 318, they made it an "odd fire" motor. Because of the uneven spacing between one cylinder firing and the next, they are more susceptible to timing chain wear, even though there is only 12 valve springs worth of resistance to rotate the cam,  to the V8's 16 valves.  and they take the same chain and sprockets as the V8, even!  you'll hear it when it needs it, sounds like dragging a log chain on the ground when the chain gets loose enuf to drag the inside of the cover.... 125K seems to be a good life for the original T chain. Aside from that, they are rock solid engines.

and on the trannys, like everyone else, they had good ones and bad ones, the trans in my 92 is just starting to act funny when it's cold, though the weather has been 20* colder than usual for this time of year too.... it did this at the tail end of last year too, then didn't miss a beat as long as the temp stayed above 50*.... I just hit 200K on that truck, original tranny, I have changed fluid a couple times since I have had it,  and I have a fresh rebuild sitting here 'just in case".... they are actually not that bad to rebuild, and cost less than a typical junkyard unit besides to do so (if you do it yourself)  BTW both of my current Dakotas are V8s, my most recent "previous" one was a V8, prior to that, I had a few V6 ones.  

the V6 has plenty of power for what I "need", but you can have your cake and eat it too, get the V8 and your mileage will be the same as with the V6, +/- about 1 mpg. 

My most recent "previous" one was a '93 with a V8 and a stick to boot.... (I converted that truck from auto to stick, myself)  it was noticeably better on gas than the previous one to that, which was a 6 cyl,  I would still be driving the V8/stick one except for a little ummm, accident.  I sold the 6 cyl one  only because I found a deal on the V8 one, which had a club cab/// to the 6 cylinder truck's regular cab.   

I bought the 92 to replace the 93 after the wreck,  and left the auto trans alone in the 92. just now thinking about swapping the trans because 4th gear is getting funky.... and I have one ready, which happens to be the one out of that 93 that I converted to a stick!

regarding MPGs, my 92 isn't quite as good as my 93 was, but it is absolutely no worse on MPGs than my last V6 one was... but I have a WHOLE lot more get up and go..... (not that I need it)  it might be better  yet, if I didn't "use" that extra power on the back roads I take to work, ha ha...

and then there is my most recently purchased V8 Dakota, also a club cab, but my 1st 4X4 one and 1st with 3.91 gearing... that one is a couple of MPGs less, but it is a heavier truck with the T-case and front axle to carry around,  that the 2 wd's don't have

I got 20 "easy," without even trying, in the one with the V8/stick,  about 17 to 17-1/2 in the 92 with the V8/auto, and about 15 in the 96 4X4... all 318's, all club cabs.

my last V6 Dakota, a 94 reg cab/short bed would do 17 MPG on its best day. What is weird is that I am running the computer out of that 93, in my 92. and still "not quite" as good on gas. but being s how my monthly payments are exactly zero, gas mileage isn't quite my #1 priority. Now if I had a $300 or greater monthly payment, I might care about gas mileage a little more.   I drive the '92 70+ miles a day, even on weekends. my wife usually drives the 96. but my drive is a lot more "open roads".   For winter,  I have the inline-6/ stick, powered Wrangler.....

I would be lost without a truck of some sort. I keep thinking I want to go back to a 3/4 ton, but my Dakotas do about 95% of what I "need" and for those rare times that I actually need a heavier truck, my son has 2 - 3/4 ton ones, one with a gas 360, and the other with a Cummins that I can use whenever, if the need would arise.

I have had a couple of cars over the years but once you have had a pickup, there is no going back. I hate the ride of most cars after having had trucks and jeeps for so many years now.