11 replies to this topic

#1 v8george OFFLINE  

v8george
  • Member No: 88817
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hi All,

I just picked up a GT14 with a snowblower  to do my driveway. The guy I bought it from picked it up from a neighbor to repair and flip. He said he had all the hydraulic lines replaced. We noticed the snowblower would lift really slow so he kept adding hydraulic fluid (not oil, like clear hydraulic fluid from a gallon jug) to the reservoir near the battery as it bled out the air.

Fluid was added until the reservoir by the battery was full.

Now I am reading that it should have 5W-30, not hydraulic oil.

Should I drain it all out and add 5W-30? 

Also, the manual states oil should be added from a plug at the rear of the transmission and that is how the fill level is checked. Is the transaxle overfilled?

#2 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 11:14 AM

1st off...welcome to the forum!

Is this a gear drive or hydro?  It sounds like you have a gear drive since you have the fill cup by the battery.  Given is a gear drive, you would probably be OK...but I would personally drain the system and refill with 5W-30 to stick with the specs.  A few quarts of motor oil is much cheaper than hydraulic system repairs.  If it's a hydro...I would definitely drain and refill with 5W-30.  The gear drive model has a separate hydraulic pump/system for the lift. The hydro model shares the hydraulics with the drive system.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 v8george OFFLINE  

v8george
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:14 PM

Thanks Billy, I am assuming hyrdo by the spool valve and hydraulic lines.

This is the spec sheet according to the model number. Looks like it does take 5.5 quarts of 5w-30.

http://www.tractorda...iens-gt14g.html

Here are some pics

https://photos.app.g...uvkBBDoXWbpGkE2

Edited by v8george, November 08, 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#4 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:46 PM

Yep...that's a gear drive.  I have one just like it.  The hydraulic pump is belt driven off of the right angle gear box above the transaxle.  The aluminum tank with cooling fins is the hydraulic oil reservoir.  There is a drain plug on it to drain.  I think there is a plug on top to quick fill if I remember correctly.  Remove the tunnel cover to access the top of it.  You can top off with the fill cup after that.

#5 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:47 PM

The spec sheet you linked to clearly states  "Transmission:4-speed gear" Which indicates a four speed manual transmission, not a hydro static transmission. That is a very nice machine and deserves all the love you can give it. If I had it I would make sure I had the machine correct manual and read through it from beginning to end. Then follow the manufacturers suggestions and instructions as closely as I could.   "The guy I bought it from picked it up from a neighbor to repair and flip. He said he had all the hydraulic lines replaced."  Does not give me a great deal of confidence in the skills, ability's, and concern for the machine of the PO. Don

#6 v8george OFFLINE  

v8george
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info. It looks like the original owner took really good care of it, became unable to use it, and sold it to a neighbor who only had it for a few days. 

Looks like I will be draining that finned reservoir and filling it with 5w-30. 

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,800 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 01:01 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for the manuals that you need. Now, you need to find a cab for it. Good Luck, Rick

#8 v8george OFFLINE  

v8george
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 01:07 PM

Yep...that's a gear drive.  I have one just like it.  The hydraulic pump is belt driven off of the right angle gear box above the transaxle.  The aluminum tank with cooling fins is the hydraulic oil reservoir.  There is a drain plug on it to drain.  I think there is a plug on top to quick fill if I remember correctly.  Remove the tunnel cover to access the top of it.  You can top off with the fill cup after that.

Is the fluid in this reservoir separated from the differential or do they share fluid? Still trying to figure out how this works.

Edited by v8george, November 08, 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,415 Thanks
  • 9,761 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 02:20 PM

It is seperate. That's a nice looking machine.

#10 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,607 Thanks
  • 2,723 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 05:39 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Nice looking machine. As already said, read the manual and check the tractor over top to bottom. Good Luck And enjoy.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,248 Thanks
  • 4,626 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 06:26 PM

:welcometogttalk: 

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,934 Thanks
  • 4,990 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Welcome to the forums!
Great looking tractor all set up to handle winter.