11 replies to this topic

#1 BilliamT OFFLINE  

BilliamT
  • Member No: 88696
  • 7 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hello to all!

My name is Larry and I reside in Jamestown Ohio.  I just purchased a GT17.  It needs help cosmetically but seems to run well.  It appears to have been in a front end accident. A couple of the grille slats are missing and the hood has its mounting holes re-drilled so that it fits correctly. The hood is also broken on one corner.  I have tried moving it back to what I think is the correct set of hinge holes but this makes the leading edge (where it fits around the instrument panel) stick out towards the seat by about an inch+.  The steering wheel is also bent which gives further evidence of an accident. Like I said the tractor runs and performs well. There are lots of cut wires and missing connections (safety switches etc.but nothing that can't be corrected. As it sits I paid 550.00, don't know if this is a good or bad price.  I was able to find a snow plow for it for 150.00.  Now I just need chains and weights and I'm set for the winter.  I may have an opportunity to pick up a 48" snow blower but don't know if it's better to plow or blow at this point.  I'll try to post some pictures and you guys can tell me what you think.20171024_133530.jpg 20171024_133515.jpg 20171025_161304.jpg 20171026_105107.jpg

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,607 Thanks
  • 2,723 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 04:23 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• boyscout862 and BilliamT have said thanks

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 04:57 PM

Not a bad looking tractor you have there.  Make sure you have the lift links that go on the two pins on the sides of the blade mount.  They are just flat pieces of steel with a hole in each end.  Easy to make if you don't have them.

I'm pretty sure I have a used grille in my parts pile if you want to replace it.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.  I'm not too far from you.  Thanks.

Billy

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Welcome aboard, Larry.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,043 Thanks
  • 2,696 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 06:01 PM

yeah I know I have at least 1 grille sitting here should have 2. 

where a bouts in Ohio are you?    I'm a couple states west out here in the Ariens desert called Illinois... I do get out to Ohio at least once a year, sometimes twice, seems like theres a bunch of Ariens machines out there....

You say theres a chance you can get your hands on a snow blower for one? If you decide not to pursue it, please share details of price and location, with contact number if you have it.... I have 2 Ariens and an NH version, would like to find a snow blower eventually for one of them.

• BilliamT said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 4,987 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:19 PM

Welcome to the forums!
To plow or blow will always be debated. Usually the consensus is it's easier to plow under 6" and over 8" its easier to blow.

#7 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,409 Thanks
  • 9,756 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:07 AM

Welcome to the forums!
To plow or blow will always be debated. Usually the consensus is it's easier to plow under 6" and over 8" its easier to blow.

What happens when you get 7"?

Hire it out?
  • KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,799 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:28 AM

Welcome to GTT. Good machine. Check our Manuals Section for the manuals you need(3 for free per day). Good Luck, Rick

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 4,987 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 04:42 AM

What happens when you get 7"?

Hire it out?

That would be a great idea. Then I could be drinking coffee while I watch.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 BilliamT OFFLINE  

BilliamT
  • 7 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 09:08 AM

Not a bad looking tractor you have there.  Make sure you have the lift links that go on the two pins on the sides of the blade mount.  They are just flat pieces of steel with a hole in each end.  Easy to make if you don't have them.

I'm pretty sure I have a used grille in my parts pile if you want to replace it.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.  I'm not too far from you.  Thanks.

Billy

Thanks for your reply!  I was pleasantly surprised when I found all the parts and pieces zip tied to the blade so I'm in good shape there.  Not sure how to PM but I am interested in the grille.

#11 BilliamT OFFLINE  

BilliamT
  • 7 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 09:15 AM

yeah I know I have at least 1 grille sitting here should have 2. 

where a bouts in Ohio are you?    I'm a couple states west out here in the Ariens desert called Illinois... I do get out to Ohio at least once a year, sometimes twice, seems like theres a bunch of Ariens machines out there....

You say theres a chance you can get your hands on a snow blower for one? If you decide not to pursue it, please share details of price and location, with contact number if you have it.... I have 2 Ariens and an NH version, would like to find a snow blower eventually for one of them.

Hi!  I am in Jamestown, 8 miles west of 71 on 35 and about equidistance between Columbus and Cinci.  I did get the snow blower!  It was located in Ostrander Ohio not far from Columbus. The gentleman had been using it on his NH.  He sold the tractor and finally decided to part with the blower. It appears to be in good shape and I paid 375.00 for it.  I don't think that's too bad a price in that there are so few available.

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 4,987 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 10:20 AM

From the prices I have seen on blowers the last several years, I think that is a fair price.
  • BilliamT said thank you