8 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 269 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 12:20 AM

Gents,

My G16xl developed an oil leak while I was using it.  I had picked up a DGT 1700 last winter that needed some work on it, and the intention was to make it my primary snow moving tractor.  However, when I scrambled to get the rest of the needed details together and pressed it into service, the results were paltry at best.  I was using it to try to blow 11" of wet snow, and it acted more like a plow, pushing the snow ahead of me, rather then like a blower and blowing it away, and when it did blow the snow, didn't blow it very far.  I have the correct blower according to the manual, and it bolted right up.  It was on a 5020. 

Is this the results I should be expecting from this blower on wet snow?  Or what can I do to improve the performance?

I have a single stage blower from a Q series tractor.  Are the RPM's on the PTO the same as on the DGT? 

I really like the tractor.  The engine starts up easily even when cold.  The tractor drives more like a go kart rather then like a tractor.  I was watching for a Kubota G5200 before this one came up, and in my opinion, there is no comparison.  The manual for the engine states I should get 6000 hours on the engine before an over haul.  If that is true, I doubt I will ever get enough hours on this to ever need the overhaul. 

Thanks,

Doug

• Deerlope and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,884 Thanks
  • 4,755 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 05:08 AM

You might try the 'impeller mod'.

It seems to work quite well on the 2-stage blowers.

https://www.youtube....h?v=EMAgb3QNEE8

• boyscout862 and Doug E. have said thanks

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,233 Thanks
  • 1,095 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:34 AM

Wow that makes no sense. I had one and it threw snow like crazy even with no impeller mod. Something is not right maybe the rpm's are not correct or the wrong gears are on the blower. It should throw lots of snow very far.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,400 Thanks
  • 9,750 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:18 AM

Doug, on the second stage impeller fan, how much of a gap do you have from the end of the paddles to the blower housing?

Like mentioned, something is amiss.

#5 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 86 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:40 AM

11 inches of wet snow is a lot for any machine - 8.35 lbs per gallon of water .....did you wax the chute? I usually take a bar of parafin wax and rub the chute with it at the start of the season and then use car wax during the season to make it "slippery"

having said that, you should also be looking at the belt tension and maybe the pulleys/bearings on the thrower - something might be binding...

just some quick thoughts

good luck

#6 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 269 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. 

I looked at the chain sprockets.  My best guess, since it is difficult to be able to clearly see the sprockets, is that the driving sprocket (bottom) is about 14 teeth, and the driven (top), about 28.  This visually matches the part list, although the number of teeth is not noted. 

There is about a 1/4" gap between the impeller and the housing.  I'm sure that putting wipers on the impellers would improve things, but I would think with that small of a gap with wet snow that it would work just fine as is.  I'm not having a problem with the chute clogging, but not much snow is coming out, and it is not traveling very far. 

I'm not detecting any binding in the blower.  I didn't notice the engine bogging down either.  In this wet snow, the blower was  pushing snow several feet ahead of the blower rather then blowing it.  Almost seems like either the second stage is not working well, or the first stage is not feeding the second stage.  Hard to tell from the tractor, and I was the only one around at the time.  The bottom of the blower below the auger comes to a square corner rather then an arc matching the radius of the auger.  Makes me wonder if a piece of steel with an arc that does match the auger would work better. 

I'll keep looking into this.  Any other thoughts are welcome.  It does help to know that others have had good results from this blower. 

D.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,400 Thanks
  • 9,750 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 12:00 AM

That sounds really off. I hate to type it, but you're sure the rotation is correct? Run it at an idle and make sure the first stage is pulling in, not pushing out? Maybe it's been messed with.....
  • blackjackjakexxix and KennyP have said thanks

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,233 Thanks
  • 1,095 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 07:49 AM

Also make sure that the augers are installed in the proper direction. If the shear pins were ever replaced the augers need to be in the correct position , see diagram.  Double check to see that the shear pins are indeed still in place and that the augers are not just spinning on their respective shafts due to friction. When this issue is solved that machine will throw a lot of snow. I loved mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• auger.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix and Doug E. have said thanks

#9 tlavergne ONLINE  

tlavergne
  • Member No: 88388
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 11, 2017 - 08:08 AM

How important is it to use "special auger shear bolts" instead of any shear bolt that matches the size?