1 reply to this topic

#1 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 267 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 12:00 AM

Gents,

In the last year I picked up an HT23 and later a single stage blower.  I have been using a G16xl for my snow chores until yesterday when it developed an oil leak.  I got through about 1/3 of what I needed to snow blow of 11" of wet snow at the point I saw dark spots on the snow and discovered the leak.  Now it was scramble time to figure out plan B, and it was still snowing too.  I stayed up until 11 last night putting the snowblower on, attaching chains, wheel weights, the control rod for the chute, and attaching the chute to the blower, which was off when I got the blower.  The paddles on the auger are damaged, so when I went to use it, the chute would just plug up with snow.  And it is still snowing.  There was no more I could do at that point, so hit the sack.  This morning I picked up some bolts and attached bailer belting to the paddles, and backed them up with some 1/8" thick steel due to the damage of the paddles at the periphery of the paddles.  Here is what I found:

The bailer belting did the trick, and I was able to finish the rest of the snowblowing without problems.

This snowblower does not blow the snow nearly as far as the G16xl did however, like about half as far.  I am under the impression using both set ups, that the auger on the G16xl rotates at a higher rpm then the one on the large frame.  This meant that I had to rethink my process of cleaning up the area between the house and the outbuilding.  What I figured out is that the large frame re blows snow better then the medium frame, so I was able to blow snow directly in front of my path, and re blow it farther as I proceeded.  I still tossed the snow on the driveway to the left or right, since the driveway is not nearly as wide as the rest of the area. 

The large frame blower will scrape packed snow better then the medium frame. 

The large frame set up will go through deeper piles then the medium frame, enough so that I was pretty impressed with the performance.  Rarely did the wheels break traction.  Not only were higher weight and hp a factor, being able to infinitely vary the ground speed with the hydro tranny helped immensely. 

A hydro lift for the blower is a nice feature.  Not having to manually shift gears is a nice feature too!  This was basically my first experience getting to use a hydro tranny to blow snow.  

I like listening to the twin Kohler engine work.  Nice bark to it when the blower would load up.  Over all the tractor is quieter then the medium frame. 

The large frame will lift the blower higher then the one on the G16.  This allowed me to take multiple bites vertically on the piles that shed off the roof. 

One thing I didn't like was the location of the handle to turn the chute, as it is right over my foot to work the hydro pedal.  I'll figure out a bracket to hold it higher. 

I'm pleased with the performance.  I could/will get very spoiled with this set up.  I am however going to figure out what the oil leak is on the G16 and get it back in service.  I like to have a back up.  The G16 has given me good service, and was a giant leap over the walkbehind I was using before it!

Regards,

Doug

• boyscout862, propane1, John Arsenault and 1 other said thanks

#2 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 988 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:34 AM

Finding the right set up is key, I have experimented with a few tractors before I found the "one". I am sure there are other ones that would be just as nice or perhaps even nicer for snow blowing but I have a criteria that a tractor must fit into.

For starters I don't want anything fancy...fancy has to many things to brake down. Less is best in my book.

Second was hydro drive....I found that moving snow is much better with a hydro drive. No matter how deep , wet, or what the conditions are matching ground speed with hydro drive is so easy. I use to have a foot pedal hydro drive and its not the same, no where near as easy as the lever, with the foot pedal you always have to keep control of the speed and requires you to push with your foot. with the lever you just put it where you want it and go on in. 

Last is if the belt has a bend in it , then I don't want it. Straight belt routing on a snowblower is where its at (the shorter the better) Both my John Deere and my Simplicity had a twisted belt set up and both of them were hard on belts. My wheel horse and Sears both have straight belts and they last a lot lot longer. 

To get my wife set up blowing I really had to think hard about a tractor that can be user friendly, I wanted to keep it simple with simple instructions so that when we are both out there she don't need to look at me for assistance. Well I did so good that most of the time its me asking for assistance. I get that wheel horse stuck all over the place, she will go places with her sears that I dare not go. I put the blame on not having much rear weight (just wheel weights) and traction is AG tires ...This year I am adding a little weight and putting on turf with chains. 

Here is a video I took of her last year getting the snow beside the garage roof. I cannot go there with my horse because I get stuck, This video she was not able to get full RPM's out of the engine I was having carb issues last year so I adjusted the float bowl not to leak and was not allowing enough fuel in to sustain 3600 rpms so she was about 3000. 

https://www.facebook...43059412377778/

20161230_115429.jpg

Another thing my horse is not as good at is curb snow, I remember the 1st year she got the sears I told her to get one side of the horseshoe driveway as I was going to get the other. I just broke through and she come rolling up on me and I scream out over the tractor noise go to your side, she screams back I am done...

• Mark 149 J. said thank you