4 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 04:18 AM

Hey guys, I need some help trying to determine if my hour gauge is bad or not. After putting probably 20 hrs on it since I own it, it has only moved 1.5hrs on the gauge. There are 2 wires going to it, one being battery + and another being battery - .... Im not to good at electrical but I tried doing some testing. When the key is off I get no power to the hour gauge which Is normal I believe....When I turn the key on I get batt voltage. For some reason comparing this to the gtx 16 it does the same thing, but if I leave the key on with the gtx 16 it will start racking up hrs. but with the gtx 20 when i first turn the key, the hr gauge moves very little only when moving the key from stop to run or to start but stops once it is moved and kept in one of those slots. Checking What I believe to be a ground from the gauge to the battery shows .2 to .3 resistance with the key off but when the key is on it goes anywhere between 1.5-2.0 resistance...is this normal??? I tried checking the gtx 16 with this but it is hooked up differently and im not sure how to check, where as the 20 has many more wires due to extra lights and cruise control which seems to get the voltage and ground from the same area(separate splices for ground and power with 4 or more wires together for each) and I have no problems with anything else( cruise, lights etc)...Just trying to figure this out...Any help is appreciated and I will try and make a vid to show you what happens later today or sometime this week.....

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 05:02 AM

Kind of sounds like a faulty gauge. If you have the original wiring intact and everything else works the change in resistance you are seeing in ground might represent something inside the gauge being wrong. I think gauges can be picked up pretty cheap and like I said about the wiring still being in good original condition I would lean more towards just replacing the gauge.

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 05:30 AM

I don't beleive checking resistance with voltage present is correct . What I check ,(like what you did ) was voltage at the gauge with the engine running , (your meter neg. connected to the battery),then check the ground side of the gauge should be very close to zero if the ground is good . There are other ways to check , just that's how I start first , Al

#4 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 04:09 AM

just curious is there any way of putting the hours of a tractor in a new gauge, or must it start over?

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hook it up to a 12 volt dc power supply and let it run. This would be the easiest way. Many times these meters aren't correct anyway. If the key was left on, the meters will keep adding time thus showing more hours than are actually on the machine. They draw very little power thus can be left on for a week without the owner ever knowing it.