• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 05:26 PM

I got one of those cheap carbs on the 110 right now while I'm fixing the old carb the was rusted really bad. Anyways I having a problem with when I lower the throttle it stalls out. Any ideas ? I tried adjusting the carb. 

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,938 Thanks
  • 1,506 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 05:44 PM

remove the low idle screw and look thru the hole to see if you can see thru into the carb.

If you can not see into the carb, the hole was not drill thru for the low idle setting.

with you old carb check what drill size it is and drill out the new carb.

It makes a different when the motor is cold.

Try setting the low idle after the motor is a normal running temp.

then set the high speed screw.

• bbuckler said thank you

#3 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 06:13 PM

remove the low idle screw and look thru the hole to see if you can see thru into the carb.

If you can not see into the carb, the hole was not drill thru for the low idle setting.

with you old carb check what drill size it is and drill out the new carb.

It makes a different when the motor is cold.

Try setting the low idle after the motor is a normal running temp.

then set the high speed screw.

Hole is cleaned out. Still can't get it down passed half throttle. Soon as the butterfly hit the idle screw it stalls

#4 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 06:58 PM

I had to make a intake gasket because that one the came with the carb ripped I used cork gasket. Could that caused my problems ? 

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,938 Thanks
  • 1,506 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 09:10 PM

first look at both of your low idle screws.  If the tip length are the same than I would say the the new carb low idle screw was drilled to deep.  The tip of the low idle screw should not go inside the carb throat.  You might have to file or grind the tip of the low idle screw so that it did not go inside the throat of the carb.

As for the gasket I would not use cork ( could cause an air leak).  I would buy the thick gasket that goes between the carb and block.

I like the thick gasket better the the thin gasket, because it helps a little to keep the heat down a little in the carb.

#6 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,529 Thanks
  • 1,343 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 05:57 PM

Get it running and spray some carb cleaner around your cork gasket.See what then engine does,this will tell you if you have a leak

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,332 Thanks
  • 2,986 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 02:00 PM

110 with a Tecumseh? or 110 with a Kohler?

I've found that those cheap aftermarket Tecumseh carbs are 50/50 whether they work or not.  I've bought a couple and had to send them back because they were listed to work on a 10-12hp tecumseh and they do not. Even though the bolt holes line up and looks correct a 7-9hp carb is to small.  The HM80-HM100 carbs work 50/50

Here have a look at these carbs. They look absolutely identical untill you look back behind the choke plate and see that they are all smaller diameter Inside.

8-10hp Snowblower carb

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m2219

These carbs are still to small for a HH100-HH120 tecumseh.

https://www.ebay.com...acAAOSwF71ZyxPb

Carb Rescue experimented with the last one that I posted a link to and even though it would run it ran to lean no matter how much you adjust it and it would not idle.

My neighbor thought he could put one on his old 66 Sears Suburban 10 that he has the sickle mower on but it didn't work. I found a used Walbro LME 37 and cleaned it up for him and "modified" the non serviceable nozzle. Darn thing runs fantastic now. Starts easy and idles down nice and smooth. 

Here inside of a LME off of a HH120 VS a Chinese 10hp carb. See how the 1st one is pretty much the same diameter straight through and the 10hp China made carb is a choked down a good bit?

HH120 LME carb

dsc05093-1.jpg   

China carb without the choke or throttle shafts installed. See how they are restricted?

123.jpg  

• drbish said thank you

#8 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

110 with a Tecumseh? or 110 with a Kohler?

I've found that those cheap aftermarket Tecumseh carbs are 50/50 whether they work or not.  I've bought a couple and had to send them back because they were listed to work on a 10-12hp tecumseh and they do not. Even though the bolt holes line up and looks correct a 7-9hp carb is to small.  The HM80-HM100 carbs work 50/50

Here have a look at these carbs. They look absolutely identical untill you look back behind the choke plate and see that they are all smaller diameter Inside.

8-10hp Snowblower carb

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m2219

These carbs are still to small for a HH100-HH120 tecumseh.

https://www.ebay.com...acAAOSwF71ZyxPb

Carb Rescue experimented with the last one that I posted a link to and even though it would run it ran to lean no matter how much you adjust it and it would not idle.

My neighbor thought he could put one on his old 66 Sears Suburban 10 that he has the sickle mower on but it didn't work. I found a used Walbro LME 37 and cleaned it up for him and "modified" the non serviceable nozzle. Darn thing runs fantastic now. Starts easy and idles down nice and smooth. 

Here inside of a LME off of a HH120 VS a Chinese 10hp carb. See how the 1st one is pretty much the same diameter straight through and the 10hp China made carb is a choked down a good bit?

HH120 LME carb

attachicon.gifdsc05093-1.jpg  

China carb without the choke or throttle shafts installed. See how they are restricted?

attachicon.gif123.jpg

It a Kohler 

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,332 Thanks
  • 2,986 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:35 PM

Oh cool.

Kohler/Carter #26 clone carb? Or Walbro?

Kohler/Carter clone

Pull the main jet out and take a picture of it if you could.

Enlarging the hole near the pointed tip of the main needle should let it idle down nice and low without stalling. Brian Millers site suggests to carefully drill with a 1mm or .039" drill bit. I open up the bottom holes on all my Kohlers. They idle down super low and smooth once you do that. It takes more time but I use a barbed oxy acetylene torch tip cleaner to open them up.

If it's a Walbro type carb with side adjustable or non adjustable main jet, I wish you luck getting it to work. I haven't had much luck with a Walbro on a K series Kohler. They either stall out,Flood or only idle down to around 1200-1400rpm. My Cub 149 had a new Walbro carb on it and I couldn't get it 100%. Ended up buying a used #30 Kohler/Carter and rebuilt it and threw that on instead.  

Edited by EricFromPa, Yesterday, 06:42 PM.

#10 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Oh cool.

Kohler/Carter #26 clone carb? Or Walbro?

Kohler/Carter clone

Pull the main jet out and take a picture of it if you could.

Enlarging the hole near the pointed tip of the main needle should let it idle down nice and low without stalling. Brian Millers site suggests to carefully drill with a 1mm or .039" drill bit. I open up the bottom holes on all my Kohlers. They idle down super low and smooth once you do that. It takes more time but I use a barbed oxy acetylene torch tip cleaner to open them up.

If it's a Walbro type carb with side adjustable or non adjustable main jet, I wish you luck getting it to work. I haven't had much luck with a Walbro on a K series Kohler. They either stall out,Flood or only idle down to around 1200-1400rpm. My Cub 149 had a new Walbro carb on it and I couldn't get it 100%. Ended up buying a used #30 Kohler/Carter and rebuilt it and threw that on instead.  

Clone carb. It was off amazon https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,332 Thanks
  • 2,986 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Ya pull the main needle and check it. I would pull the float bowl and check the float level to. It might be set to high or got bent in shipping. Float should be level or just slightly downward angled with the carb upside down.  

I forget the exact measurement from the base but I think it's the same as the walbro @ 1".   I always set mine at a very slight angle. If 100% level it may run the float out of gas on hills before float opens enough to refill the bowl and cause it to stall.

Here's a bunch of good info on Kohler carbs that might be helpful. There is alot to look through lol

http://gardentractor...m/carbfuel.htm 

Edited by EricFromPa, Yesterday, 09:04 PM.

#12 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Ya pull the main needle and check it. I would pull the float bowl and check the float level to. It might be set to high or got bent in shipping. Float should be level or just slightly downward angled with the carb upside down.  

I forget the exact measurement from the base but I think it's the same as the walbro @ 1".   I always set mine at a very slight angle. If 100% level it may run the float out of gas on hills before float opens enough to refill the bowl and cause it to stall.

Here's a bunch of good info on Kohler carbs that might be helpful. There is alot to look through lol

http://gardentractor...m/carbfuel.htm 

I will give this a try tomorrow thanks

• EricFromPa said thank you

#13 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 2,804 posts

Posted Today, 12:33 PM

Haven't tried it yet but I got it drilled out to 0.39