• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:14 PM

What does everyone use to flush the transaxles out ? I'm about to flush out the SS15. 

• MaxTractor said thank you

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,288 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:34 PM

Gear or hydro? I have a 633 I need to clean up, but not sure I have time to split the case and inspect everything. It will be out of the unit and I plan to drain oil, pour in a few qts of diesel and slosh it around, give it time to soak good and drain.

#3 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:35 PM

Gear or hydro? I have a 633 I need to clean up, but not sure I have time to split the case and inspect everything. It will be out of the unit and I plan to drain oil, pour in a few qts of diesel and slosh it around, give it time to soak good and drain.

Gear. Also need to find axle seals. Sears has them but $22 a piece

#4 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 617 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 03:22 AM

intech bearing

listed by size

I got my $25 list price bolens seals

for $3.25 each

or

usa belts and bearings

• bbuckler and 6mikey7 have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,309 Thanks
  • 3,416 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 04:20 AM

Diesel fuel or Kerosene works decent for flushing.   Gasoline works better for breaking up the sludge but you'll have to flush with Kero or Diesel afterwards to remove the gas.

I had the shifter out to replace the seal on the shifter so I drained the water and disgusting brown muck out of the tranny and dumped almost a gallon of K1 Kerosene in the shifter hole and jacked up the rear of the tractor,  Started it and put it in 1st gear and let it run for 10-15 minutes.  Just 1st gear and don't run it any faster than a idle.

Don't forget to replace the Shifter seal. That's the one that is letting all of the water into the tranny. I bet yours is either ripped or completely blown out. They all are. 

The shifter seal is only $4 + shipping.  All of the sears tractors with the Peerless 3 speed and Peerless 3 speed with Hi/Lo use the same seal.

Part Number: 532110542

https://www.searspar...dName=CRAFTSMAN

Edited by EricFromPa, November 07, 2017 - 04:28 AM.

• KennyP, 6mikey7 and MaxTractor have said thanks

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3,030 Thanks
  • 1,364 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:29 AM

When I bought my Sears and pulled the drain plug I thought , ut oh something is wrong. Come to find out the common milky sludge is from keeping the tractor outside in the rain. I found the seal on top and changed that right away. I used kerosene to flush my transmission with but when it came time for re-filling I decided to go with an outboard gear lube, it has additives in there that help the oil not to break down into milky sludge so easy when water is introduced . At least now I know if I get a little water in there between changes I got oil in it that was designed to get a little water in it. 

• bbuckler and MaxTractor have said thanks

#7 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Guys, I guess while I'm at it I need to buy the liner and fix the brake too. 

#8 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 189 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 07:03 PM

GASP!!!! OMG you guys leave your tractors outside????? LOL I have a pole barn I built for mine and they don't see water unless it's bath day, which is few and far between unfortunately. When I had the trans stuck on my suburban I followed directions and used the gas method, then some diesel, and back to gear oil. Works great now without issues. A big thanks to the guys on this site for directing me to try it before ripping down. :thumbs: 

#9 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • Member No: 90049
  • 75 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 10:08 AM

I used lamp oil which is just a clean kerosene which is not much different from diesel fuel. Any will work fine. I would not use gasoline myself. I just had a few gallons of lamp oil I figured I might never use for lamps. The outside of my transaxle was already clean so there was no issue with dirt around the filler. The old oil I drained out was not too bad. I filled my 633A HiLo transaxle to the top of the filler with the lamp oil (kerosene.) Then I put the plug back in and put the rear of the tractor up on blocks. I ran the tranny in every gear and every engine speed, both hi and lo ranges, shifted a lot, backwards, forwards .. a lot. Gave the gears and the inside a thorough washing. Opened the fill and the drain and drained out what just discolored lamp oil now. Went in clear and came out looking like watered down soda. No sludge or grime really came out. My transaxle was pretty clean it turns out.

I let it drain and air out through the open fill and drain holes for many hours.

I refilled with straight 30W oil. Nothing special, no non-detergent or anything like that. Just basic modern straight 30W with the detergents etc. they normally put in (having decided all the non-detergent talk is impractical and very probably misguided.)

One thing to note which is often mentioned. If you try to get all the required oil in through the provided fill opening, it will in fact take FOREVER as you can only get about a few tablespoons in at a time before you have to let air bubbles slowly work their way out the fill.

I did it the hard slow way because I guess I am patient. It would not be a bad idea to open something on the top of the transaxle like the shifter cover so that air can release as you add oil through the fill. Research this, because I think there is a bolt which passes through and you need only remove that one bolt as an air vent during filling. This info should be googlable.

• KennyP and bbuckler have said thanks