• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,095 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:14 PM

What does everyone use to flush the transaxles out ? I'm about to flush out the SS15. 

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:34 PM

Gear or hydro? I have a 633 I need to clean up, but not sure I have time to split the case and inspect everything. It will be out of the unit and I plan to drain oil, pour in a few qts of diesel and slosh it around, give it time to soak good and drain.

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,095 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:35 PM

Gear or hydro? I have a 633 I need to clean up, but not sure I have time to split the case and inspect everything. It will be out of the unit and I plan to drain oil, pour in a few qts of diesel and slosh it around, give it time to soak good and drain.

Gear. Also need to find axle seals. Sears has them but $22 a piece

#4 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 461 Thanks
  • 394 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 03:22 AM

intech bearing

listed by size

I got my $25 list price bolens seals

for $3.25 each

or

usa belts and bearings

• bbuckler said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,337 Thanks
  • 2,987 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 04:20 AM

Diesel fuel or Kerosene works decent for flushing.   Gasoline works better for breaking up the sludge but you'll have to flush with Kero or Diesel afterwards to remove the gas.

I had the shifter out to replace the seal on the shifter so I drained the water and disgusting brown muck out of the tranny and dumped almost a gallon of K1 Kerosene in the shifter hole and jacked up the rear of the tractor,  Started it and put it in 1st gear and let it run for 10-15 minutes.  Just 1st gear and don't run it any faster than a idle.

Don't forget to replace the Shifter seal. That's the one that is letting all of the water into the tranny. I bet yours is either ripped or completely blown out. They all are. 

The shifter seal is only $4 + shipping.  All of the sears tractors with the Peerless 3 speed and Peerless 3 speed with Hi/Lo use the same seal.

Part Number: 532110542

https://www.searspar...dName=CRAFTSMAN

Edited by EricFromPa, November 07, 2017 - 04:28 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,931 Thanks
  • 1,008 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:29 AM

When I bought my Sears and pulled the drain plug I thought , ut oh something is wrong. Come to find out the common milky sludge is from keeping the tractor outside in the rain. I found the seal on top and changed that right away. I used kerosene to flush my transmission with but when it came time for re-filling I decided to go with an outboard gear lube, it has additives in there that help the oil not to break down into milky sludge so easy when water is introduced . At least now I know if I get a little water in there between changes I got oil in it that was designed to get a little water in it. 

• bbuckler said thank you

#7 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,095 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Guys, I guess while I'm at it I need to buy the liner and fix the brake too. 

#8 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 187 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 07:03 PM

GASP!!!! OMG you guys leave your tractors outside????? LOL I have a pole barn I built for mine and they don't see water unless it's bath day, which is few and far between unfortunately. When I had the trans stuck on my suburban I followed directions and used the gas method, then some diesel, and back to gear oil. Works great now without issues. A big thanks to the guys on this site for directing me to try it before ripping down. :thumbs: