• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 86 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 11:36 PM

Bolens Tractor 1886 with Front End Loader and Rototiller - $3200 (ma/nh border)  
< image 2 of 3 >
00y0y_lfhvpt1GUqV_600x450.jpg
01717_i8rcORxI96S_600x450.jpg
once again spending too much time on Craigslist - found this on the RI craigslist - just curious what folks here think it's worth

• hamman and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 12:21 AM

That is pretty pricey for my area but not sure for yours looks like a nice tractor though. If everything was functional and in good order I would feel like 2000 to 2500 would be reasonable for me but if you really want something it is up to you what you would be willing to spend. I have been known to toss all reasonable consideration out the window on occasion if I have been searching for a long while or if the virus sets in to strong!
  • LPBolens, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,678 Thanks
  • 4,207 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 03:59 AM

How much is the can at the exhaust?!

• hamman said thank you

#4 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,793 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 06:59 AM

I think its a great deal.

for the seller 

• hamman and Trav1s have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,025 Thanks
  • 2,684 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 07:05 AM

for my money if I am gonna spend that much I'm going for something the size of a Ford 2000-3000-8n/9n--or a Deere or International of about that size with a bucket and rear PTO.

• Gtractor, hamman, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,018 Thanks
  • 8,793 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 07:57 AM

Depending on the actual condition it is a bit high. If it is in real good condition, at a show like Zagray, it would be in the $2000 to $2500 range. By next spring it might be less. A month ago, at Zagray I talked to several dealers who all said the same thing, prices were dropping and many things were not selling. They were not sure why. My theory is that there isn't many places to work on old GTs anymore and the few that exist are expensive($75 to $100 per hour). Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:24 AM

Those kind of tractor set up do not show up in the Midwest.  ​When they do they are priced out of sight.  Like boyscout said, shops don't want to work on that older stuff any more so the owner better be able to turn a wrench on it himself.  If you think $75 to $100 an hour labor is high, bring a full size articulated tractor into a shop and see what they say.  Agrivision (JD) now goes by the tractor size.  The larger ones are around $300/hr. per person.  Lot of work requires two people.  Crazy.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 09:09 AM

Geez and here I was worried about charging $25 an hour,I keep a lot of used parts for purchase on hand also for the older stuff,I have been told by several people I am way cheap and also there isnt really anyone else fixing them in my area.I personally know of 2 places that sell new mowers and chain saws ect ect but do not service anything ,Dont even have a shop!I get business from their customers

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,018 Thanks
  • 8,793 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 12:12 PM

Geez and here I was worried about charging $25 an hour,I keep a lot of used parts for purchase on hand also for the older stuff,I have been told by several people I am way cheap and also there isnt really anyone else fixing them in my area.I personally know of 2 places that sell new mowers and chain saws ect ect but do not service anything ,Dont even have a shop!I get business from their customers

In CT we have way too many attorneys. You have to pay out big time for liability insurance( figure $20,000+ per year). That was a major reason for closing my business and retiring my license.

Be carefull. About 20 years ago near here, an old guy with a small mower shop, was sued. He had serviced a mower. The mower owner put his hand under the deck while it was running and lost most of his hand. Somehow the jury was convinced that it was the repair shops' fault and the old guy lost everything including his house. IMO the members of the jury should have been severely punished for such stupidity.

Good luck with your business but you need to protect yourself. That includes charging enough to pay you, pay for wear and tear on your equipment, buy insurance, pay taxes, and build a contingency fund to cover  the unexpected. Good Luck, Rick(so glad I'm retired from dealing with the public).

Edited by boyscout862, November 06, 2017 - 12:14 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#10 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 02:19 PM

In CT we have way too many attorneys. You have to pay out big time for liability insurance( figure $20,000+ per year). That was a major reason for closing my business and retiring my license.

Be carefull. About 20 years ago near here, an old guy with a small mower shop, was sued. He had serviced a mower. The mower owner put his hand under the deck while it was running and lost most of his hand. Somehow the jury was convinced that it was the repair shops' fault and the old guy lost everything including his house. IMO the members of the jury should have been severely punished for such stupidity.

Good luck with your business but you need to protect yourself. That includes charging enough to pay you, pay for wear and tear on your equipment, buy insurance, pay taxes, and build a contingency fund to cover  the unexpected. Good Luck, Rick(so glad I'm retired from dealing with the public).

I hear ya,I keep liability insurance for sure,Have had it for years,Really needed it when we had the mobile food service and catering,Way to many chances to get sued there let me tell ya and in the auction business we are contract work so you have to have it to protect yourself.Thats one big reason I wont work on ATV"s and motorcycles or cars and trucks(I have been asked many times to do brake jobs or oil changes,Nope),Only  lawn care and gardening equipment,I will work on generators but not the generating head,I wont be responsible for shocking some one or burning their house down.The liability ins here isnt bad,Only a few hundred a year and tax numbers no big deal ,Merchant liscense is $10 I am going to do an LLC  I think but I need to visit with my attorney to figure that all out and what I need to do it This is the lowest risk business I have had but I am still very careful

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,378 Thanks
  • 815 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 02:51 PM

The location often dictates the market value. In some areas of the country, they are more easily found and prices are lower vs. the west coast for example where they are much harder to find and command higher prices. If you've been keeping your eye out for one and seen what similar ones have been listed for in your area, I'd use that as a comparison too. A lot of it really comes down to if you want it enough to buy it. Go take a look at it in person to check out the condition and see how it operates. I found the ad and it mentions "or reasonable offer" so it sounds like they're willing to negotiate.

Edited by Austen, November 06, 2017 - 05:17 PM.

• dodge trucker and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#12 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,793 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 04:46 PM

I hear ya,I keep liability insurance for sure,Have had it for years,Really needed it when we had the mobile food service and catering,Way to many chances to get sued there let me tell ya and in the auction business we are contract work so you have to have it to protect yourself.

You hang with Barney E. or Norman R. very long and you are guaranteed to get sued.   :(

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#13 Z71 Sierra OFFLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 134 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 05:12 PM

I'd consider that Bolens for maybe $2,000. People here want crazy prices for lawn/garden tractors.

https://detroit.crai...6376272904.html

#14 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 579 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 06:48 PM

This is the kind of thing that convinced me that new Kubota was the way to go, and with 4 wheel drive can actually do something.

• Z71 Sierra said thank you

#15 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 378 Thanks
  • 418 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:20 PM

That guy is a lying, scamming person. He bought that loader and tiller from me, claiming he had 12 other large frames. To say the least he's not from the state he told me when he bought it, nor is he a collector. Simply a flipper. Have heard from a few people who have seen thd entire tractor in person that it is JUNK

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
  • KennyP and Z71 Sierra have said thanks