• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 740 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 05:55 PM

My sisters 425 has been bothering me for couple of mowing seasons now. It floods after a hour or so of mowing.  If they shut it off, its hard to start until it cools down.  Last summer I removed and cleaned the carb.  The tractor seemed to run fine.  They mowed 3 or 4 times last fall and 2 or 3 times this spring and the problem resurfaced.  Total 10 to 12 hours of work last fall and this spring.  It sat all winter in cold storage.  

I ran it last summer until it acted up and it is definalty flooding. Runs rough and black smoke. 

This tractor has just over 700 hours on it and by serial # its 1995.  Over the past 2 summer I have exchanged Time delay, ignition module, igntion coils.  (I ex changing parts from my 425 to try troubleshoot her problem.) New plugs, fuel, air filter.

To help matters she lives 2 hours away so its kind of a pain.

I have the tractor at my place now.  Not much mowing going to be done and not sure I can get it warm enough to act up.

My idea is to get a carb kit and clean rebuild the card.  Drain the old gas and use premium or one of these small motor gasses.  They use purple or dyed fuel and tractor sitting all winter.

Anyone else have experiance like this.

My 425 has 2030 hours other than time delay moduale and plastic timing gear it never misses a beat.  I use it mowing and snow removal so its worked year around.

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,012 Thanks
  • 8,790 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 07:03 PM

Check the float and float valve. I suspect that it is sinking or hanging up. Good Luck, Rick

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,867 Thanks
  • 5,508 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 07:36 PM

How do the plugs look?  

Next-  do a compression check.  No ACR on the Kaws..  Should be 180# +..  Check the oil-  is it high?  Smell the oil-  gas??

Pull the oil fill cap while running-  lots of pressure coming out of the crank case?  Bad pistons/ rings will do that..  Poor maint will make it fail early..

BTW-  This engine will have the plastic cam in it as well..  These tractors are definitely worth the work..  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, November 06, 2017 - 05:41 AM.

• Alberta Bolens said thank you