• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 28, 2011 - 10:15 PM

so i felt bothered by why its smoking, the compression is too good to be rings, so i just googled why kohler engine smoke. i think oil is some how coming in from my crank case breather. so i pulled the tube off, and guess what, the inside of the tube is lined with oil. and tube goes into the carb, therefore injecting, well oil into my carb making it a 2 stroke i guess lol. any ideas why its blowing oil into the carb?

#2 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3333
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Oil in the breather is generally an indication of ring "blowby". Compression is passing by the rings and pressurizing the crankcase causing the vaporized oil in the crankcase to be drawn into the breather line. A compression check with a simple guage screwed into the sparkplug hole is generally not the best indication of cylinder health. A glazed cylinder wall can be the problem as well.

The best method for determing cylinder health is with a "differential pressure guage". It is most commonly used in aircraft engines and can be had fairly cheap on e-bay. The differential guage reads line pressure as well as the back pressure build-up in the cylinder. There should not be a significant difference in the line pressure (usually 75 to 90 PSI) and the pressure being read in the cylinder.

To use the differential guage, the piston must be on TDC of the compression stroke. The advantage is, with the cylinder pressurized you can hear air escaping into the crankcase, pressurizing the crankcase as an indication of ring blowby. If air comes out of the exhaust then the valve may be worn or damaged as well as the seat. Sometimes engines that have been run very lean can have damaged or worn intake valves or seats. With the differential guage, if the intake is the problem then air can be heard escaping into the carb or air cleaner.

Glazed cyliner walls can be caused by engines that have been run too rich for too long. Excessive amounts of unburned fuel can "wash down" the cylinder wall accellerating ring wear and "polishing" the cylinder wall making ring seat and thereby blowby a problem.
  • Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#3 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 12:42 AM

After reading what Flight Engineer posted I think I have a pretty good handle on the subject now, so I say what he said!! :)

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 06:06 AM

I agree with Flight Engineer's Post

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 29, 2011 - 06:38 AM

why do i just want to scrap the thing now? rings sound like a pain in the ***. i have to pull the engine, get the fly wheel off, which mind you has 4 stripped screws holding it on. ect. and lord knows if i re power i lose all resale value.

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:39 AM

How bad does it smoke ? Does it run OK else wise ?

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:03 AM

More than one of those hoses have been rerouted. Older Briggs always had a hose straight down, no where near the carb.

If you do this, you may have some carb adjustments to make tho... and some oil on the frame.

#8 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm not sure what Kohler you have, so I'm thinking about K series. Have you checked the gaskets, and the seal around the stud that holds it down? Also see if the sealing surface of the reed valve is smooth. It's possible that it has grooves worn in it. If the engine has good compression maybe the breather is straight venting to air not allowing the crankcase to breathe correctly.

#9 mikebramel ONLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Repowering doesnt reduce the value. You just wont get the money out of it that put into it.

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Repowering doesnt reduce the value. You just wont get the money out of it that put into it.

I think From a collector standpoint, The value would be reduced if there was a non original engine in there.

#11 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 30, 2011 - 09:09 AM

im gonna rebuild, ive talked 1 friend into helping, funny thing is hes 12 yrs old, not even kidding. hes got more tools and knowhow then some 30 yr olds. its almost freaking scary. can anyone tell me the best place to buy a rebuild kit? psep has pistons gaskets and rings for around 336 i think (cringe)

#12 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3333
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 09:11 AM

JD, don't be discouraged. Small engine repair can be fun and satisfying. These engines, while definately challenging at times because of age, are well designed and parts are readily available. There are plenty of folks available on this forum who can help. Things like stuck flywheels can be removed with heat applied from a $10.00 torche from Lowes. Damaged threads in bolt holes are repairable with helicoil kits. All that is required is to work with patience, which can be the biggest challenge of all, especially for me!

#13 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 30, 2011 - 09:12 AM

it runs amazing other than the smoking. but i go through oil like nothing else.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 09:28 AM

im gonna rebuild, ive talked 1 friend into helping, funny thing is hes 12 yrs old, not even kidding. hes got more tools and knowhow then some 30 yr olds. its almost freaking scary. can anyone tell me the best place to buy a rebuild kit? psep has pistons gaskets and rings for around 336 i think (cringe)

I would not discount a young mans ability due to his age. I lost a home to a flood last August, was pretty discouraged to see everything I had worked for, for 40 years under water and I had pretty well written it all off.
My grandson 14 yrs old, waded in 3 ft of water to drag my mower, Snowblower, Weed Eater, Chainsaw, rototiller etc out of the mess, take it home and dry everything out and got them all running.
Some people simply have more natural ability than their age would suggest.

#15 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 30, 2011 - 11:13 AM

so heres what i just did. i took the breather hos, took it off the carb and now it vents into the atmosphere. now i barely blow and blue smoke. im gonna buy another attachment or 2 before i rebuild her now =)