45 replies to this topic

#16 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 02:01 PM

sears had an advertisement for their FF tractors that showed factory duals on a tractor with factory FEL. if i can find it again i'll post it.

on a side note, i don't trust those rings sandwiched between two rims. i much prefer the style wvbuzzmaster mentioned that bolt to the hub and outer wheel.

hydriv, i understand what you're saying about duals being intended for floatation but i think common sense also dictates that they can be used for stability as well. the wider something is, the harder it is to flip over sideways. just like with added weights giving you a lower center of gravity would make it harder to flip over, wouldn't you agree with these points? let's set aside for a minute the effects duals have on axles, rearend housings and bearings as these are problems each owner must decide wether or not he wants to contend with. i think everyone should be aware of these issues but i feel it is each individuals personal choice to make.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 02:14 PM

I always figured on if I dual a tractor it will be with a one size smaller tire on the outside (example: 6-12 inners and 5-12 outters). The point made by hydriv about stressing the parts is reduced greatly by the underside outters method. Another method to reduce the stresses is to run the inners and outters at different tire pressures (example: 10 PSI inners and 5 PSI outters). This is an interesting discussion about stresses but you have to remember, there ARE way to reduce the stresses and still get the look and function of the duals, or better. By running smaller outters or lower PSI in the outters you get the look but maintain some of your traction. Also, nowhere has anyone mentioned much about the stresses of heavy wheel weights, loaded tires, heavy implements, trailers, or even (and I don't mean this in a rude manner) overweight operators. All of those situations put stresses on the transaxles, and some were not designed in that, but granted with duals they increase, but what if you do have these situations currently, does adding duals add that much more stress than these common situations dont??
  • MF14 plowday special said thank you

#18 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 03:07 PM

Here is a different style.
Cub Cadet Dual Wheel Install 1.jpg
Cub Cadet Parts

i think i will make a set more like this.
craigslist 011.jpg
Garden Tractor Dual Wheel Kit Bolens Sears 23X8.50-12 | eBay

Edited by Chuck_050382, June 29, 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#19 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Lots of good input here.
Chuck, I agree. That box style looks like a good option/build. Simple to make and strong as the material size used.

Hydriv, all valid considerations. My plan was to take the 75lb. per side weights off, and add an extra chained up wheel
per side. I'd like more floatation for the conditions I'll be running on. Existing wheels are already chained.

I like Chuck's option, because that design allows for an easy build to make the spacers wide enough to allow for
the chains.

#20 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:27 PM

if this link works, this is the add from Sears showing dual wheels with a FEL. i'm inclined to think the engineers thought the dual wheels would provide extra stability for use with the FEL.

craftsman_FF_tractors : Craftsman_FF_Tractors

#21 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:34 PM

The couple of guy's that I've seen run duals ended up pulling them off.
Here's a link to the pipe setup. Cub Cadet, John Deere Bolens 12" Rim Dual Wheel Spacers - eBay (item 320720394818 end time Jul-04-11 16:15:26 PDT)[ATTACH=CONFIG]16610[/ATTACH]

I know the gentlemen that makes these spacers and he has used them on his personal tractor that has a loader for many years with no problems. He used to advertise them cubcadetcollectors.com I don't know if he still does or not. I know that the material he uses doesnt crush and I know how he uses his tractor and he's never broken them or had them slip.
I believe the gentleman with the restored 100 at Danville has a set of these spacers. I wouldnt be afraid of them if I wanted a set of duals.

#22 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:38 PM

[quote name='Chuck_050382']Here is a different style.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16624[/ATTACH]
Cub Cadet Parts

These are modeled after the spacers that IH made as a factory part. The difference with these is that where they are square bar the IH version was round tubing. These would be the route to go if you want to let space between the tires for mud to cleanout.

#23 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:41 PM

sears had an advertisement for their FF tractors that showed factory duals on a tractor with factory FEL. if i can find it again i'll post it.

on a side note, i don't trust those rings sandwiched between two rims. i much prefer the style wvbuzzmaster mentioned that bolt to the hub and outer wheel.

hydriv, i understand what you're saying about duals being intended for floatation but i think common sense also dictates that they can be used for stability as well. the wider something is, the harder it is to flip over sideways. just like with added weights giving you a lower center of gravity would make it harder to flip over, wouldn't you agree with these points? let's set aside for a minute the effects duals have on axles, rearend housings and bearings as these are problems each owner must decide wether or not he wants to contend with. i think everyone should be aware of these issues but i feel it is each individuals personal choice to make.

Yes CF..... I totally agree that duals lower the center of gravity and make the tractor much harder to roll over sideways. I also agree that installing duals on a LT is a personal choice but like you, I agree that it should be an informed choice. The problem right now is that there are TWO guys on e-bay that are flogging these rings for LAWN TRACTORS with no explanation as to the difference between LT's and GT's. That annoys me because it's the worst kind of profiteering. For sure, one of those Sellers has been told by me as to why his kits should not be used on a LT but he's more interested in the fast buck apparently than he is with doing no harm in the community.
  • MF14 plowday special said thank you

#24 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:51 PM

I know the gentlemen that makes these spacers and he has used them on his personal tractor that has a loader for many years with no problems. He used to advertise them cubcadetcollectors.com I don't know if he still does or not. I know that the material he uses doesnt crush and I know how he uses his tractor and he's never broken them or had them slip.
I believe the gentleman with the restored 100 at Danville has a set of these spacers. I wouldnt be afraid of them if I wanted a set of duals.

I very much appreciate the feedback to my posts but in all fairness to everyone reading this thread, I ask that you keep in mind a couple of important points.

My main beef is with people selling these kits for 12" diameter wheels and NOT making the distinction between Lawn Tractors and Garden Tractors. I need not tell you guys that big box store LT's are not built out of the same materials that are used to make GT's that cost 4 to 6 times as much as the LT's. So I have no problem with you saying that so and so has run duals on his GT for X number of years with no issues. To me, that's pretty much a given. As long as you guys make the distinction between the GT's out there and the LT's, then this conversation will have some meaning to those who read it. If we mix the two types together, then the thread becomes pointless, does it not?

#25 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I very much appreciate the feedback to my posts but in all fairness to everyone reading this thread, I ask that you keep in mind a couple of important points.

My main beef is with people selling these kits for 12" diameter wheels and NOT making the distinction between Lawn Tractors and Garden Tractors. I need not tell you guys that big box store LT's are not built out of the same materials that are used to make GT's that cost 4 to 6 times as much as the LT's. So I have no problem with you saying that so and so has run duals on his GT for X number of years with no issues. To me, that's pretty much a given. As long as you guys make the distinction between the GT's out there and the LT's, then this conversation will have some meaning to those who read it. If we mix the two types together, then the thread becomes pointless, does it not?

I believe its common sense to most anyone on here thats posting questions that duals are designed for Garden tractors and NOT Lawn tractors. I agree that your points on safety are valid things to be concerned with. I do not see the thread as pointless because of the fact that I believe most posters here realize we are talking Garden tractors and not lawn tractors.

#26 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Thanks hydriv. I've just realized that duals are being sold for lts on ebay..... I did not know that when reacting to your OP ....

Yes .... put duals on an lt whether 8, 10, or 12 inch rims and you will soon have worn out axles/housings.

#27 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:26 PM

It's amazing how many times you read about guys talking up their "tractor" and then they put up a picture and it's a keyed snap ring held on 8" rear wheel model. Or you tell someone your into Garden Tractors and they think Home Depot. To many don't understand what a GT is or can do. I can't tell you how mant times someone has said how "cute" my Magnatrac is.

http://www.vintagese...1972_loader.jpg

4.jpg

#28 michelle OFFLINE  

michelle

Tractorholic by Marriage

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

Adam's MF-8 has duals in the back. Haven't touched it to learn more about the setup, but it looks kind of neat.

#29 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 11:00 PM

Yes CF..... I totally agree that duals lower the center of gravity and make the tractor much harder to roll over sideways. I also agree that installing duals on a LT is a personal choice but like you, I agree that it should be an informed choice. The problem right now is that there are TWO guys on e-bay that are flogging these rings for LAWN TRACTORS with no explanation as to the difference between LT's and GT's. That annoys me because it's the worst kind of profiteering. For sure, one of those Sellers has been told by me as to why his kits should not be used on a LT but he's more interested in the fast buck apparently than he is with doing no harm in the community.

my apologies. i assumed we were talking GT's exclusively and never stopped to think that others may be thinking LT's. in this new light we agree 100%.

#30 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image

Adam's MF-8 has duals in the back. Haven't touched it to learn more about the setup, but it looks kind of neat.

I dont think the MF 8s would really apply to the barrier as those so called LTs have tough transmissions