• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 711 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 07:53 PM

I hear good things about the Simpys also some say the cut and striping of the Simpy deck is as good as it gets,, lets face it just about all manufacturers use similar components in their builds, so the final decision can boil down to ease of use, attachment swaps, operator comfort, control layout etc.   oh and lets not forget about the all important dealer support/service.

I generally look at all aspects of the product and who I'm buying from, I'm interested in how sound their advice/recommendations are, what kind of parts inventory they have on hand, competence of the service dept., general atmosphere when in the building, etc.  There are 2 JD dealers near me, one I will buy from no problem, the other forget it wont grace them with my presence again, just a bunch of miserable turds.  The CC dealer just over the hill,, now they are great, they are also an Arctic Cat dealer and I've bought 3 new Atv's off of them, very knowledgeable with their products, parts on hand, helpful, on top of the service end and just good people who treat you well, that's why I'm interested in the CC xt line

• Cvans said thank you

#77 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 11:55 AM

There is not a NEW garden tractor made which I would buy. My problem with new garden tractors is they have no clearance underneath.  The tires are too wide also. I want a tractor which you can cultivate with in a small garden.  Thirty years ago or so I had a Ford garden tractor and it mowed well and pulled a plow well.  I regretted buying it every time I had go out with my hoe and weed.  I used it for 7 or 8 years.  

I now have an old Power King 2414 tractor which seems nice.  The old power Kings require maintenance now and parts are starting to get hard to find. It will only get worst in the future as there are no new tractors being made and the old tractors wear out.

I have gotten older and my garden is smaller but I still need a small garden tractor to keep up with.  So in my mind there is not a new garden tractor being made to really garden with that has high clearance and narrow tires.  I would like to see a tractor about the size of a 2414 Power King with a small diesel and a CAT 1 limited hitch.  CAT 0 seems to be a pain now.  I bought a John Deere box blade from a dealership and there does not seem to be any CAT 0 support.  They just kind of laugh when you ask about CAT 0.  The John Deere dealership where I bought the box blade from did not even know John Deere made CAT 0 pins for the box blade.  I had to track them down and buy them from another John Deere dealership.

• Cvans and js5020 have said thanks

#78 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 149 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 08:51 PM

Can you explain a bit what you want more clearance and narrower tires for? I can see more clearance being nice for hilling potatoes, but what does the 2 inches of extra tire matter?
  • coxhaus said thank you

#79 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,306 Thanks
  • 6,389 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 01:43 AM

I really liked the simplicity the best out of everything I looked at but the dealer is over an hour away. 

I'm in the same boat but so far I have no complaints. The Dealer that found this mower for me has been really good about giving advice when needed (twice) and ships whatever I ask for right away. He offered to find me the Simplicity I was looking for and and told me which dealer had it. I have no doubts that if an issue ever would pop up he would be happy to take care of it for me. What more can a person ask for. 

Out here in SD you have to get used traveling to find what you want. 

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#80 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 711 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 08:25 AM

There is not a NEW garden tractor made which I would buy. My problem with new garden tractors is they have no clearance underneath.  The tires are too wide also. I want a tractor which you can cultivate with in a small garden.  Thirty years ago or so I had a Ford garden tractor and it mowed well and pulled a plow well.  I regretted buying it every time I had go out with my hoe and weed.  I used it for 7 or 8 years.  

I now have an old Power King 2414 tractor which seems nice.  The old power Kings require maintenance now and parts are starting to get hard to find. It will only get worst in the future as there are no new tractors being made and the old tractors wear out.

I have gotten older and my garden is smaller but I still need a small garden tractor to keep up with.  So in my mind there is not a new garden tractor being made to really garden with that has high clearance and narrow tires.  I would like to see a tractor about the size of a 2414 Power King with a small diesel and a CAT 1 limited hitch.  CAT 0 seems to be a pain now.  I bought a John Deere box blade from a dealership and there does not seem to be any CAT 0 support.  They just kind of laugh when you ask about CAT 0.  The John Deere dealership where I bought the box blade from did not even know John Deere made CAT 0 pins for the box blade.  I had to track them down and buy them from another John Deere dealership.

We all feel your pain so to speak but they build what the masses are willing to buy, charge handsomely for it and make it so certain desired features are on a machine 2 steps up from what you really need/want to spend and build it in such a way that ensures you will be in the market again a few years down the road.

I'm sure we have all seen threads here that pop up periodically and ponder what machines the next generations of collectors/restorers are going to have to work with once todays 25-60 yr old machines are totally spent and parts are non existent, only time will tell.  

Gardening,,, now there is another skill/ability that has been becoming lost in the past decade or so and will likely continue. 

• Cvans and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#81 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 11:44 AM

Can you explain a bit what you want more clearance and narrower tires for? I can see more clearance being nice for hilling potatoes, but what does the 2 inches of extra tire matter?

Two inches probably does not matter.  When I was at the John Deere dealership I was looking at their extra small tractors.  They seem squatty with big tires.  Seems to me their first real tractor starts at about 23 hp and is too big for my small garden and yard.  

Edited by coxhaus, January 26, 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#82 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 149 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 06:39 PM

What about the clearance? I'm just wondering what the benefit of 19" is. I assume you are straddling rows of something, but to do what? I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question, but I really have no idea how people use(d) these things for actual gardening. Around here they seem to be mostly treated as snowblowers that can cut grass in the summer.

#83 SimplyRad ONLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 10:25 AM

What about the clearance? I'm just wondering what the benefit of 19" is. I assume you are straddling rows of something, but to do what? I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question, but I really have no idea how people use(d) these things for actual gardening. Around here they seem to be mostly treated as snowblowers that can cut grass in the summer.

Back when I had my first tractor I got a set of cultivators with it. As long as the plants were small you can straddle them as not much clearance on the belly unit. Rear could be set higher. Oh I had a Simplicity.

#84 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 11:22 AM

The more clearance the tractor has the more times you can cultivate.  Hilling the plants is a big one also.  The older I get the harder it is to hill all the plants using a hoe. I plan to setup a hiller this year using some kind of tool bar.

#85 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 711 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 04:10 PM

The more clearance the tractor has the more times you can cultivate.  Hilling the plants is a big one also.  The older I get the harder it is to hill all the plants using a hoe. I plan to setup a hiller this year using some kind of tool bar.

Your in luck someone makes such a new machine!  Check out Tuffbuilt and Saukville tractors.

#86 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,951 Thanks
  • 1,806 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 09:39 AM

I did work out a pretty good deal on a brand new 590 series john deere. List on the tractor is 7299. I got the dealer down to 5500 out the door cash deal. 500 dollars off thru deere till end of feb. Then he knocked off some for being winter. Some for being a 17 model. Ect. He has several in stock.

That's a REALLY good deal on the 590. I shopped all these last year at this time. My local JD dealer was also overstocked with the past year's model and other than the JD $500 they wouldn't budge one dollar from list price. Got the same results from three different dealers.

Maybe something to sway you one way or the other. Depending on your particular yard, do you back up with the blades engaged often? JD makes you press a button to do this each time you back up. Cub and Simplicity just have you do this once each time the blades are engaged. With my yard and mowing style, the JD method would be enough to keep me from buying one.

Edited by Canawler, January 28, 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#87 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,913 Thanks
  • 6,376 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 10:02 AM

That's a REALLY good deal on the 590. I shopped all these last year at this time. My local JD dealer was also overstocked with the past year's model and other than the JD $500 they wouldn't budge one dollar from list price. Got the same results from three different dealers.

Maybe something to sway you one way or the other. Depending on your particular yard, do you back up with the blades engaged often? JD makes you press a button to do this each time you back up. Cub and Simplicity just have you do this once each time the blades are engaged. With my yard and mowing style, the JD method would be enough to keep me from buying one.

I'd say no more than 5 times do I have to back up with my blades on.

It is a pretty good deal. He was pretty motivated to move units. No trade, and cash out the door deal I think is what lowered the price some too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#88 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 711 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 06:16 PM

The JD RIO setup isn't all that bad, you get use to it. I went from a machine that had no RIO and the JD is still hooked up and I use it as intended.  I do agree that the CC setup is better, mine requires me to lift up on the PTO before hitting the R pedal or the PTO shuts off.  I don't mind with the mower but a running a blower might be a pita.  Several ways to defeat the RIO's from totally simple to an out right unhook.

#89 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 164 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 02:55 PM

New or not, I look for availability of knowledge, parts and service. Choose the top brands based on that, then research their models. Just my .02 worth. Good luck