88 replies to this topic

#61 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 09:06 PM

Never got a chance to look at the super cub. Between everyone in the house including me took a turn at the stomach flu and work it was unlisted and i lost the guys info. Hopefully it's related soon and not sold.

I'm going to keep looking.
  • olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#62 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 905 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 11:59 PM

I'm sure there are some good new machines out there of what ever brand.  

Have you thought about looking at something like a John deere 425 .  I know built in the 80's and 90's but you can find them with 500 to 1,000 hours. in the $3,500 to $5,500 range  They are solid machine. I have a 425 with 2,000 hours on mine and it works awesome, no sign of issues yet (touch wood).  Kabota made simliar machines in that time frame that are solid tough machines. 

What ever you buy make sure you can get along with the dealer and thier service .

my 2 cents

#63 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 02:44 PM

I'm sure there are some good new machines out there of what ever brand.
Have you thought about looking at something like a John deere 425 . I know built in the 80's and 90's but you can find them with 500 to 1,000 hours. in the $3,500 to $5,500 range They are solid machine. I have a 425 with 2,000 hours on mine and it works awesome, no sign of issues yet (touch wood). Kabota made simliar machines in that time frame that are solid tough machines.

What ever you buy make sure you can get along with the dealer and thier service .

my 2 cents

One of these popped up on Craigslist the other day

https://pittsburgh.c...6454327563.html
  • Cvans said thank you

#64 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,633 Thanks
  • 1,869 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 12:42 AM

Those are great machines. If it were me though, is wait for a 445 or 455.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#65 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 10:58 AM

Those are great machines. If it were me though, is wait for a 445 or 455.

455 locally for sale.

I did work out a pretty good deal on a brand new 590 series john deere. List on the tractor is 7299. I got the dealer down to 5500 out the door cash deal. 500 dollars off thru deere till end of feb. Then he knocked off some for being winter. Some for being a 17 model. Ect. He has several in stock.

Looks really nice. Fully serviceable hydro. Diff lock. Hydraulic lift and steering. 54" deck. Pretty nice setup.

He said wait till the snow gone and i can come on and test drive it around the grounds and on their hills.

This dealer basically told me do not buy a d, e or 300 series tractor unless you want to be replacing the transaxle in 2 or 3 years. He said they will only sell those models of the customer basically demands them. He said otherwise he will only sell the 500 line.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 21, 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#66 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,633 Thanks
  • 1,869 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 11:00 AM

455 locally for sale.

I did work out a pretty good deal on a brand new 590 series john deere. List on the tractor is 7299. I got the dealer down to 5200 out the door cash deal.

Looks really nice. Fully serviceable hydro. Diff lock. Hydraulic lift and steering. 54" deck. Pretty nice setup.

He said wait till the snow gone and i can come on and test drive it around the grounds and on their hills.

Sounds like you might've found a winner. Never owned one that new but never heard a bad thing about them. They hold their value around here. What engine? Kaw? Diesel?

#67 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,633 Thanks
  • 1,869 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 11:03 AM

I would also recommend getting all attachments you will/or think you will want now as a package. Will probably get a better deal. IE rear hitch, front blade, snowblower, etc.

#68 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 11:20 AM

It's the Kawasaki gas engine.

I'm not entirely sold on it yet. I like it I want a chance to operate it around their grounds and see how it all feels. Looks pretty tough though. But in the mean time I am still looking for a super cub diesel.

Yeah the attachments weren't something we have discussed yet. Definitely a snow plow, chains, and wheel weights.

#69 Mustard Tiger OFFLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 122 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 11:52 AM

Does Eastman actually sell ingersoll machines still or are they just really bad at updating their website? None of the Canadian dealers listed as selling them actually do.

#70 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 700 Thanks
  • 798 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 04:35 PM

455 locally for sale.

I did work out a pretty good deal on a brand new 590 series john deere. List on the tractor is 7299. I got the dealer down to 5500 out the door cash deal. 500 dollars off thru deere till end of feb. Then he knocked off some for being winter. Some for being a 17 model. Ect. He has several in stock.

This dealer basically told me do not buy a d, e or 300 series tractor unless you want to be replacing the transaxle in 2 or 3 years. He said they will only sell those models of the customer basically demands them. He said otherwise he will only sell the 500 line.

The X590 sounds like a sweet machine, contemplated replacing my 7yr old 400hr X300R with the original K46 transaxle and WH 16 Auto with one.  The X3 series is a great machine for mowing and light trailer work on a fairly level property,,, definitely Not a GT more of a yard tractor and one with the K57 or K 58 should be adequate, the K46 is a bit on the light side if you ask me for more than mowing a fairly level yard.

#71 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 04:39 PM

The X590 sounds like a sweet machine, contemplated replacing my 7yr old 400hr X300R with the original K46 transaxle and WH 16 Auto with one. The X3 series is a great machine for mowing and light trailer work on a fairly level property,,, definitely Not a GT more of a yard tractor and one with the K57 or K 58 should be adequate, the K46 is a bit on the light side if you ask me for more than mowing a fairly level yard.

The k46 and 58 from my reading are basically the same unit. Just bigger axles and the ability to change oil but still no filter.

The k72 has an external filter and drain plugs to be serviced which I really like. My biggest reason for wanting a 500 series. In all honestly as I've realized in this thread I don't need a heavy duty garden tractor to cut grass. I have many options in the shed for a tractor to run ground engaging attachments.

The bolens with all the hydraulic power is great at plowing snow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#72 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 700 Thanks
  • 798 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 05:50 PM

The k46 and 58 from my reading are basically the same unit. Just bigger axles and the ability to change oil but still no filter.

The k72 has an external filter and drain plugs to be serviced which I really like. My biggest reason for wanting a 500 series. In all honestly as I've realized in this thread I don't need a heavy duty garden tractor to cut grass. I have many options in the shed for a tractor to run ground engaging attachments.

The bolens with all the hydraulic power is great at plowing snow.

I haven't moved on  an X5 and likely won't.  My view, I use the X3 for mowing only which is where the hours, wear and tear pile on in my opinion and when those issues take their toll I'll just replace it with another new X3 and have new again.  The old WH 16 Auto looks/runs as new and handles all the GT type work, and some snow removal (blower).  I don't have near as much coin laid out with the 2 machines as I would if I would go with a similarly equipped X5 and each is setup for the specific tasks.  Don't be concerned with the Kawasaki they are great engines, and the transaxles in all models are adequate as long as used for the loads they were designed for, don't buy an X3 if you will be plowing gardens, pushing heavy snow amounts, or towing heavy trailers they just wont hold up.  Honestly if I were to go up from the X3 series I would go all the way to the X7 or similar, even low Hr used and be done.

#73 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 07:19 PM

I haven't moved on an X5 and likely won't. My view, I use the X3 for mowing only which is where the hours, wear and tear pile on in my opinion and when those issues take their toll I'll just replace it with another new X3 and have new again. The old WH 16 Auto looks/runs as new and handles all the GT type work, and some snow removal (blower). I don't have near as much coin laid out with the 2 machines as I would if I would go with a similarly equipped X5 and each is setup for the specific tasks. Don't be concerned with the Kawasaki they are great engines, and the transaxles in all models are adequate as long as used for the loads they were designed for, don't buy an X3 if you will be plowing gardens, pushing heavy snow amounts, or towing heavy trailers they just wont hold up. Honestly if I were to go up from the X3 series I would go all the way to the X7 or similar, even low Hr used and be done.

A similarly equipped 390 will cost me 4500 ish (i didnt deal real hard on the 390)So 1500 more steps me up to the 590 with the same stuff.

This tractor will only be used for mowing and snow plowing. Anything super hard will be done with one of the cubs.

Also the 700 series is pretty awesome. But sadly almost the cost of a base sub compact.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 21, 2018 - 07:52 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#74 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 700 Thanks
  • 798 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 05:01 PM

Well there is certainly nothing wrong with an X5 and it will make a fine machine for your stated needs and at 1500 over a high end X3 sounds like the way to go if JD is to your likings.

I want to look at the CC high end xt2 and the xt3 when the local dealer gears up for spring and has some in stock, although I have had almost zero problems over 7 yrs with the X300R I'd like to see what else is out there and at what price point, plus I no longer have a local JD dealer, while the CC dealer is just 2 mile away.

Edited by js5020, January 22, 2018 - 05:31 PM.

• olcowhand and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#75 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,481 Thanks
  • 6,175 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 07:09 PM

Well there is certainly nothing wrong with an X5 and it will make a fine machine for your stated needs and at 1500 over a high end X3 sounds like the way to go if JD is to your likings.

I want to look at the CC high end xt2 and the xt3 when the local dealer gears up for spring and has some in stock, although I have had almost zero problems over 7 yrs with the X300R I'd like to see what else is out there and at what price point, plus I no longer have a local JD dealer, while the CC dealer is just 2 mile away.

I went and looked at the xt3 gsx and it was really nice too!

I really liked the simplicity the best out of everything I looked at but the dealer is over an hour away.

• Cvans said thank you