#46 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,000 Thanks
  • 2,352 posts

Posted December 04, 2017 - 07:49 AM

My only problem with new cubs is they are an MTD product...not a huge fan.

I need to look at simplicity and see what they have to offer.

Honestly I could probably get away with a "lawn mower" but I like the ability to use a plow, pull a heavy load, ect.

The transaxle issues have been addressed. Read about the bushing failures and the change over to bearings.

Edit. Simplicity lost me with the tuff torque transaxle...

I guess I'm down to kubota or john deere. I need to make a trip to the john deere dealer

This is what I was referring too

Edited by BTS, December 04, 2017 - 07:50 AM.

• ShotgunWedding said thank you

#47 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 436 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 04, 2017 - 08:36 AM

Now I can't speak to your experience, what the model was (because they have made some really crappy ones for people who only have a few $), the condition, new or not, (you don't seem like a buying brand new kind of guy, so I am surmising you bought a used one...for cheap), but again, I don't believe a blanket statement that ALL new Cub Cadets are junk is fair or remotely accurate.

To put this in a perspective, John Deere makes the D100, but doesn't mean all John Deere lawn tractors are junk.  You are a guitar guy, so...Gibson Guitar makes the M2 and the Firebird Zero, doesn't mean all Gibson Guitars are junk.  The Cub XT3 is a pretty robust machine.  Guess what???  It will plow no problem.  Slap a JP sleeve hitch on it, wheel weights and ag tires and it will plow as much as a garden tractor should.  Hands down.

Fancy???  It's a $5000 garden tractor, how fancy can it get???  It has power steering, electric like many snowmobiles, ATV's, RTV's and some cars.  Fancy?  It has tilt steering, that's pretty fancy I guess.  Plastic Hood, like almost every GT tractor made in the last 20 years including JD X700, X500.  Oh...it has a drink holder that doubles as a hole to stuff a pair of gloves in if the square holder behind it is full of fancy stuff.

I just really hate these anecdotal opinions. For the people who have the money, want a new and 100% reliable machine to get the job done, let us spend our money.  If we want old iron, we can surely afford it.

• Bolens 1000, js5020 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#48 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,000 Thanks
  • 2,352 posts

Posted December 04, 2017 - 11:37 PM

Now I can't speak to your experience, what the model was (because they have made some really crappy ones for people who only have a few $), the condition, new or not, (you don't seem like a buying brand new kind of guy, so I am surmising you bought a used one...for cheap), but again, I don't believe a blanket statement that ALL new Cub Cadets are junk is fair or remotely accurate.

To put this in a perspective, John Deere makes the D100, but doesn't mean all John Deere lawn tractors are junk.  You are a guitar guy, so...Gibson Guitar makes the M2 and the Firebird Zero, doesn't mean all Gibson Guitars are junk.  The Cub XT3 is a pretty robust machine.  Guess what???  It will plow no problem.  Slap a JP sleeve hitch on it, wheel weights and ag tires and it will plow as much as a garden tractor should.  Hands down.

Fancy???  It's a $5000 garden tractor, how fancy can it get???  It has power steering, electric like many snowmobiles, ATV's, RTV's and some cars.  Fancy?  It has tilt steering, that's pretty fancy I guess.  Plastic Hood, like almost every GT tractor made in the last 20 years including JD X700, X500.  Oh...it has a drink holder that doubles as a hole to stuff a pair of gloves in if the square holder behind it is full of fancy stuff.

I just really hate these anecdotal opinions. For the people who have the money, want a new and 100% reliable machine to get the job done, let us spend our money.  If we want old iron, we can surely afford it.

I have nothing against new stuff at all, I was going to buy a brand new 60hp tractor because I didn't want to deal with the older stuff breaking down, but then I found out I was moving so I didn't bother buying a new machine for only 2 years of use. The Cub Cadet I bought was used with around a 100 hours on it, it was really nice unless you wanted to mow, it just broke the belt or would knock the belt off and it cost about $60 for every belt. My uncle who worked for the state said the state of KS bought a bunch of those Cub Cadet mowers for mowing around smaller areas and he said they couldn't keep a belt on any of them.

The old Cub Cadets where good but they went down hill after MTD, just like Troy Bilt and all the other brands made by MTD. This is just my experience and I would never touch another Cub Cadet again or any other MTD made machine. 

Don't get me started on Gibson's, I have heard their quality has plummeted, I read up on a $1200 Les Paul and the guy said he has sent back 2 and getting ready to send back the 3rd because the guitar was as low quality as a cheap epiphone :wallbanging: .

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#49 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,305 Thanks
  • 5,686 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 11:50 AM

I have nothing against new stuff at all, I was going to buy a brand new 60hp tractor because I didn't want to deal with the older stuff breaking down, but then I found out I was moving so I didn't bother buying a new machine for only 2 years of use. The Cub Cadet I bought was used with around a 100 hours on it, it was really nice unless you wanted to mow, it just broke the belt or would knock the belt off and it cost about $60 for every belt. My uncle who worked for the state said the state of KS bought a bunch of those Cub Cadet mowers for mowing around smaller areas and he said they couldn't keep a belt on any of them.

The old Cub Cadets where good but they went down hill after MTD, just like Troy Bilt and all the other brands made by MTD. This is just my experience and I would never touch another Cub Cadet again or any other MTD made machine.

Don't get me started on Gibson's, I have heard their quality has plummeted, I read up on a $1200 Les Paul and the guy said he has sent back 2 and getting ready to send back the 3rd because the guitar was as low quality as a cheap epiphone :wallbanging: .

I think everything has went down in quality. The old brands we loved in many hobbies has been farmed out to China and/or the quality reduced.

I seen a chart awhile ago of tool brands and who owns what. It was really sad to see good name brand tools now are junk hiding behind a good brand name...

My one friend won't buy a quality tractor. He had a box store cub that he beat the dog crap out of. The cheap China "kohler" gave out and died. Kohler courage. The rest of the tractor was fine.
  • Cvans, dodge trucker and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#50 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 650 Thanks
  • 761 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 07:16 PM

That CC XT3 GSX seems to have a lot of bang for the buck.  I'd have to see one and compare it to a JD of similar size.  My big concerns with CC stem from a box store model that my dad purchased years ago, man was that machine built cheap, fair machine when it wasn't broken, cut nice, worked well except for eating belts, breaking springs and bending brackets, oh and the engine smoked worse than a train at 120 some hours.

Certainly less expensive than a similar sized JD, I have a dealer 3 or 4 miles away compared to JD at over 25 miles now.  Another concern would be attachments,,, JD sells so many units you can usually find an attachment new or used years after the new purchase along with the bits sometimes necessary to mount and use.  I looked at a Simpy before I bought the current JD and the dealer told me buy everything I thought I might ever want now because I might not be able to 4 or 5 yrs down the road?  Simpy looks like a decent machine also but the dealer was a bit proud of his units and attachments and we couldn't make a deal, coupled with being 20 miles away.

I'm due for a new machine, just not sure what size I want to pursue yet.

#51 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,000 Thanks
  • 2,352 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 08:37 PM

I think everything has went down in quality. The old brands we loved in many hobbies has been farmed out to China and/or the quality reduced.

I seen a chart awhile ago of tool brands and who owns what. It was really sad to see good name brand tools now are junk hiding behind a good brand name...

My one friend won't buy a quality tractor. He had a box store cub that he beat the dog crap out of. The cheap China "kohler" gave out and died. Kohler courage. The rest of the tractor was fine.

Your right, nothing is quality anymore, you can add Snap-On tools to the list, I've never been so disappointed as when all my snap on tools started snapping off :(

• dodge trucker said thank you

#52 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 91 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:33 PM

If you don't need to plow, then you don't need a GT. So the lawn tractors you are looking at like the kubota GRs or the cubs are fine. If you want a new GT, I think JD and simplicity are your only options aren't they? Kubota, MTD, etc don't make any GTs now I don't think. Steiner and such qualify as subcompacts don't they? They are 4x4 and cat 1.

I don't think the kubotas have a transaxle "issue", they simply are not GTs. That's why kubota doesn't sell anything for ground engaging for them and doesn't market them as capable of it. Their transaxles have low output torque, which means they aren't capable of pulling anything significant. That's why people consider them lawn tractors, not because they don't come with a hitch. Slapping a sleeve hitch onto a lawn tractor won't turn it into a garden tractor.

As for buying new vs used, the "I am tired of stuff breaking" reasoning doesn't seem to make sense for GTs. I totally get stuff breaking all the time, I deal with my bi-weekly "wtf is wrong with you now you POS" too. But I could stop that simply by tearing it apart and dealing with it all now instead of letting each problem crop up one at a time. If someone had a gun to my head forcing me to spend ten grand, I would spend it buying an HT-23 or a case 64x and having a mechanic completely tear it apart and rebuild it for me. You end up with a better machine than new, for less money, and you'll have just as little maintenance to do since its basically a new machine.