#16 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:19 AM

One last comment about MTD and peoples perception.  MTD build what they do because that's what sells.  They are very successful at building tractors and other yard equipment to fit the price point of their intended sellers (Box Stores) and what people want to shell out (no one wants to pay much for anything anymore).

Can MTD build a great tractor?  Yes...it's not that hard.  For the lovers of the 1990's Cyclops Cub Cadets who some say are some the best garden tractors ever built, MTD built them.  They know how to do it, it's not hard.  Do they build them today?  Yes...but hardly anyone buys them, that's a fact.  It is the XT3.

But I will say this.  The XT3 is in a different class and is more akin to the Cyclops and 2500-3000 series from the past.  Are they selling many?  No.  Those with the money want bigger and usually go to JD.  But to slam MTD, they are just in the business to sell...like everyone else, and they make what people will buy.

For the same class of GT, JD 500 series, Kubota GR, Cub Cadet XT3 and Simplicity Prestige are your only options.  Going higher than that gets into a different class such as the JD 700 and Simplicity Legacy, but that is some major $.  Next step is Sub Compact.

• LilysDad, propane1 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#17 Z71 Sierra ONLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 133 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:04 PM

I have a 1985 lawn chief that is built by MTD. That was purchased at a box store. For being over 30 years old, it has only asked for oil, and belts. The thing just works. Like anything if you properly maintain something it should a long time. 

#18 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,943 Thanks
  • 1,801 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 12:18 PM

The transaxle issues have been addressed. Read about the bushing failures and the change over to bearings.

Edit. Simplicity lost me with the tuff torque transaxle...

I looked at the Kubota this past spring and did a lot of research. The transaxle issues haven't all been fixed. The bushing/bearing problem wasn't the only issue. My local dealer won't even sell the GRs anymore. He said every one they sold has been returned including the newest 2020/2120. I take everything online with a grain of salt but just read a few of the forum threads on the newest GRs. I wouldn't buy one if I had any hills on the property or wanted to pull anything. There are a lot of reports of issues just pulling something like a lawn roller. I'm just recommending to be careful there.

On the Tuff Torque thing, just curious about that. I don't think I've ever heard or read of any issues with the K72 which would be what you're looking at in your price range?
  • olcowhand said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,188 Thanks
  • 5,625 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 07:39 PM

I looked at the Kubota this past spring and did a lot of research. The transaxle issues haven't all been fixed. The bushing/bearing problem wasn't the only issue. My local dealer won't even sell the GRs anymore. He said every one they sold has been returned including the newest 2020/2120. I take everything online with a grain of salt but just read a few of the forum threads on the newest GRs. I wouldn't buy one if I had any hills on the property or wanted to pull anything. There are a lot of reports of issues just pulling something like a lawn roller. I'm just recommending to be careful there.

On the Tuff Torque thing, just curious about that. I don't think I've ever heard or read of any issues with the K72 which would be what you're looking at in your price range?

Maybe I need a little more research into those issues.

I just figured that the lower end units were junk in the husqvarna tractors that the higher end trans axles were junk as well.

#20 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,188 Thanks
  • 5,625 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 07:43 PM

One last comment about MTD and peoples perception. MTD build what they do because that's what sells. They are very successful at building tractors and other yard equipment to fit the price point of their intended sellers (Box Stores) and what people want to shell out (no one wants to pay much for anything anymore).

I agree with what you say there. People want a cheap tractor.

I guess my perception is if I am going to drop say 10 grand on a tractor I don't want to buy an mtd product. I want something that I perceive as a high quality unit. My wife's grand mother had some higher end cub with a fabricated deck and direct drive like the old cubs. It's a nice tractor. She beats it like an old dog and doesn't have any problems with it that I know of.

I have one cub in the collection. That is a first year mtd cub. Very nice tractor. Sits in the shed fully restored with a fully rebuilt engine in it.

I have lots of old rebuilt/restored iron sitting in the shed but they aren't meant for cutting grass anymore. Just looking good.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 18, 2017 - 07:56 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#21 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,188 Thanks
  • 5,625 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Also sitting here now looking at the simplicity tractors. Pretty nice and a half way price point between the cub xt3 and the kubota.

Dealer about 40 minutes from me. May have to check them out some more.

Prestige

https://sleequipment...ditional_tabbed

Conquest

https://sleequipment...bgaAq7DEALw_wcB

Broadmoor

https://sleequipment...moor-mower.html

Both look good. 5 to 8k.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 18, 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#22 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted November 19, 2017 - 12:34 AM

I didn't get that seat on mine but have heard they are very cool and comfortable. 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#23 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,372 Thanks
  • 3,266 posts

Posted November 19, 2017 - 08:54 AM

Don't you have "toomanytoys" already, had to say that. Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any mower. It seems like everything we buy new has issues sooner or later. Sales people push the extended warranty before we buy the product. I have 5 old reserections from the dead from 1968 to 1976 & they all have their own duties & personalities. It might be nice to have one very good GT that could do it all but not at that cost at least for now, maybe when I get older. Keep us posted on what you get.
  • Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks