#16 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 918 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:19 AM

One last comment about MTD and peoples perception.  MTD build what they do because that's what sells.  They are very successful at building tractors and other yard equipment to fit the price point of their intended sellers (Box Stores) and what people want to shell out (no one wants to pay much for anything anymore).

Can MTD build a great tractor?  Yes...it's not that hard.  For the lovers of the 1990's Cyclops Cub Cadets who some say are some the best garden tractors ever built, MTD built them.  They know how to do it, it's not hard.  Do they build them today?  Yes...but hardly anyone buys them, that's a fact.  It is the XT3.

But I will say this.  The XT3 is in a different class and is more akin to the Cyclops and 2500-3000 series from the past.  Are they selling many?  No.  Those with the money want bigger and usually go to JD.  But to slam MTD, they are just in the business to sell...like everyone else, and they make what people will buy.

For the same class of GT, JD 500 series, Kubota GR, Cub Cadet XT3 and Simplicity Prestige are your only options.  Going higher than that gets into a different class such as the JD 700 and Simplicity Legacy, but that is some major $.  Next step is Sub Compact.

• LilysDad, toomanytoys84, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#17 Z71 Sierra OFFLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 269 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 02:04 PM

I have a 1985 lawn chief that is built by MTD. That was purchased at a box store. For being over 30 years old, it has only asked for oil, and belts. The thing just works. Like anything if you properly maintain something it should a long time. 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#18 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,951 Thanks
  • 1,806 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 12:18 PM

The transaxle issues have been addressed. Read about the bushing failures and the change over to bearings.

Edit. Simplicity lost me with the tuff torque transaxle...

I looked at the Kubota this past spring and did a lot of research. The transaxle issues haven't all been fixed. The bushing/bearing problem wasn't the only issue. My local dealer won't even sell the GRs anymore. He said every one they sold has been returned including the newest 2020/2120. I take everything online with a grain of salt but just read a few of the forum threads on the newest GRs. I wouldn't buy one if I had any hills on the property or wanted to pull anything. There are a lot of reports of issues just pulling something like a lawn roller. I'm just recommending to be careful there.

On the Tuff Torque thing, just curious about that. I don't think I've ever heard or read of any issues with the K72 which would be what you're looking at in your price range?
  • olcowhand, toomanytoys84 and Mustard Tiger have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,856 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 07:39 PM

I looked at the Kubota this past spring and did a lot of research. The transaxle issues haven't all been fixed. The bushing/bearing problem wasn't the only issue. My local dealer won't even sell the GRs anymore. He said every one they sold has been returned including the newest 2020/2120. I take everything online with a grain of salt but just read a few of the forum threads on the newest GRs. I wouldn't buy one if I had any hills on the property or wanted to pull anything. There are a lot of reports of issues just pulling something like a lawn roller. I'm just recommending to be careful there.

On the Tuff Torque thing, just curious about that. I don't think I've ever heard or read of any issues with the K72 which would be what you're looking at in your price range?

Maybe I need a little more research into those issues.

I just figured that the lower end units were junk in the husqvarna tractors that the higher end trans axles were junk as well.

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,856 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 07:43 PM

One last comment about MTD and peoples perception. MTD build what they do because that's what sells. They are very successful at building tractors and other yard equipment to fit the price point of their intended sellers (Box Stores) and what people want to shell out (no one wants to pay much for anything anymore).

I agree with what you say there. People want a cheap tractor.

I guess my perception is if I am going to drop say 10 grand on a tractor I don't want to buy an mtd product. I want something that I perceive as a high quality unit. My wife's grand mother had some higher end cub with a fabricated deck and direct drive like the old cubs. It's a nice tractor. She beats it like an old dog and doesn't have any problems with it that I know of.

I have one cub in the collection. That is a first year mtd cub. Very nice tractor. Sits in the shed fully restored with a fully rebuilt engine in it.

I have lots of old rebuilt/restored iron sitting in the shed but they aren't meant for cutting grass anymore. Just looking good.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 18, 2017 - 07:56 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,856 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Also sitting here now looking at the simplicity tractors. Pretty nice and a half way price point between the cub xt3 and the kubota.

Dealer about 40 minutes from me. May have to check them out some more.

Prestige

https://sleequipment...ditional_tabbed

Conquest

https://sleequipment...bgaAq7DEALw_wcB

Broadmoor

https://sleequipment...moor-mower.html

Both look good. 5 to 8k.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 18, 2017 - 10:05 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,283 Thanks
  • 6,376 posts

Posted November 19, 2017 - 12:34 AM

I didn't get that seat on mine but have heard they are very cool and comfortable. 

#23 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted November 19, 2017 - 08:54 AM

Don't you have "toomanytoys" already, had to say that. Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any mower. It seems like everything we buy new has issues sooner or later. Sales people push the extended warranty before we buy the product. I have 5 old reserections from the dead from 1968 to 1976 & they all have their own duties & personalities. It might be nice to have one very good GT that could do it all but not at that cost at least for now, maybe when I get older. Keep us posted on what you get.
  • Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,856 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:52 PM

Don't you have "toomanytoys" already, had to say that. Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any mower. It seems like everything we buy new has issues sooner or later. Sales people push the extended warranty before we buy the product. I have 5 old reserections from the dead from 1968 to 1976 & they all have their own duties & personalities. It might be nice to have one very good GT that could do it all but not at that cost at least for now, maybe when I get older. Keep us posted on what you get.

It's only money! Can't take it with ya. I've liquidated other toys that generated cash. Mainly a 4 wheeler and dirt bike I never used. I put that cash in the toy fund. I might sell off the bolens and massey I just bought at the end of the summer.

As I said before I love my old tractors. They have served me well. The 3 working tractors are good units. But I am tired of working on them. Sometimes before I can even cut and sometimes in the middle of cutting! Between 3 kids, a 60 plus hour work week and other chores I don't have time to waste fixing something so I can cut grass.

I have done a lot more reading. I am really liking the simplicity. I found a dealer and checked them out. Really nice.

But I hate to say it for the price point the cub xt3 gsx has a lot of features on it! Only big thing it lacks is 4x4 which I don't need. I talked to a dealer and got a good price with a plow, lawn cart, fabricated deck, chains, and weights. Under 5500 for all that. I am leaning heavy towards that option at the moment.

Power steering is the greatest thing I have ever seen!

I still need to go check out the john deere offerings yet.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 26, 2017 - 08:55 PM.

• Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,283 Thanks
  • 6,376 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:20 PM

I don't know anything about the Cub you mentioned but in the past researching the feedback on something I was considering has proven very beneficial. 

Your right about power steering. I have one with hydraulic steering and I'm not so crazy about that. The steering wheel never wants to return to the same point and it is harder to maintain a straight line than with power steering. 

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,443 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 01:32 PM

No still couldn't talk me into a new one. I currently have 3 Ariens/NH, and a Cub 129. 2 of the Ariens run and work, the 3rd is a little wiring away from being there. I want to redo one completely, while I run the other 2. Once completed there will be no issues, I can sell 1 or both of the others and not be in for anywhere near$10k, not even 1/4 of that maybe not 1/8 of your$10k.

#27 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,856 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 02:38 PM

128 109 and the bolens are the work tractors. Every time one go down it's never for a major failure. It's something stupid. A condesnsor, points, old fuel line, something worn from running for 40 years. The 109 has frequent problems with tramming. Surging ect. It's currently working as intended.

The 128 has cut grass every summer and plowed snow every winter since my dad bought it in 1993. Before that it cut 3 acres every summer from 1974 till 1993 when the original owner passed away.

The original motor failed (started smoking real bad) last summer. It has a donor engine in it. The original will get rebuilt eventually.

The bolens I just bought and it has had issues. Mainly an odd shut down problem when it gets hot. But replaced the carb, all ignition system parts, fuel lines, and cleaned every5hing else out. It seems yo be cured.

I just want a new tractor. 10 grand is covered in 4 monthly bonus checks that aren't figured into my monthly finances other than going into the savings account. But I am leaning towards the cub for 5k than the kubota I was drooling over at first

#28 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,896 Thanks
  • 31,939 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Whatever you do, go diesel and you won't regret it!  I'm a Kubota fan myself, but get whatever floats your boat.  

• limebuzz, twostep and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#29 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 918 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 07:19 PM

I travel for work a lot!, over 100 flights per year which has the wife doing much of the lawn cutting.  There is no way I would have her running a 40 year machine.  I get it about older machines are built better, no argument there, but I don't have her driving to work everyday in a 1970's vehicle, nor do I.  We need 99% reliability, no mussing about.  New cars/trucks/tractors do not have the same % of steel in them, but the majority would take a brand new truck for a daily driver to work to earn your pay everyday over a 70's truck, hands down.  Yet, tractors cause a different reaction.  Then again, it causes a different reaction for people who like to fix and work on this stuff everyday if possible.  I do not have that luxury, not for a few more years!!!

Cub GTX2100 (XT3) was our machine for that reason.  New 23HP Kohler Command, shaft drive, cast iron rear, 48" Fab deck, power steering.  Bullet Proof, at least for 10-15 years I would think.  Have 300 hours already, not a hiccup. It may not illicit the same ohs and ahs, but she cuts grass like no 10 year old machine can, and it is reliable.

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,856 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 07:32 PM

Whatever you do, go diesel and you won't regret it! I'm a Kubota fan myself, but get whatever floats your boat.

I really want a diesel. It's on my bucket list. But for my bucket list diesel may be a red super cub.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  • twostep said thank you