22 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,192 Thanks
  • 5,627 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 05:43 PM

Been throwing around the idea of buying a brand new garden tractor.

I want 54" deck, power steering, all the goodies. I was going for a compact but decided against it. I don't need it.

So what would you buy?

I have only looked so far at the kubota 2120 diesel. I love it. Test drove one at the dealer. Super tight turning radius. Very nice.
  • oldedeeres and John Arsenault have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,018 Thanks
  • 8,793 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 06:48 PM

I wouldn't. I keep hearing too many horror stories about new tractors and other new equipment. I can't see spending that much money. I go with having several old machines to do the work and as backup. A Bolens HT23 with ps should do great for you and save alot of money. Good Luck, Rick

• dodge trucker, Sawdust, old coot and 3 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 4,247 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:22 PM

I won't even buy a vehicle that is newer than 10 years old. So much electronics in the new stuff, the insurance / repair costs are crazy.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,400 Thanks
  • 9,750 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:30 PM

Unless you're willing to spend 15 grand, I would stay away from JD. Not to offend anyone, but I think their X500 series mowers are overpriced crappola. Simplicity Prestige maybe, Legacy if you're going high dollar.

No idea on the Kubota lineup, but they always produced quality equipment.
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#5 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 246 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:35 PM

Tired of "tired out" tractors which had gasped their last breath of life and were heading for the great tractor parts field in the sky, I bought an "new-used" JD 728. It had about 100 hours, so it wasn't new, but had taken the initial depreciation and still had a lot of life left. I live on the east coast, but bought it from the midwest where prices were cheaper and had it shipped to me.

In a nutshell- it has been wonderful. It is basically an overblown garden tractor, AWD with rear differential lock, 27 hp, 62 inch deck, and I put a class one rear 3 point on the back. 

It did something my old "they don't build them like they used too" tractors did not do. It actually WORKED! I could get on it and spend time actually doing yardwork, instead of hauling it back to the garage to fix it.

If I did it again, I would buy the diesel version of this tractor instead of the kawasaki 27 hp engine, but overall, I have been  pleased. This "almost new" tractor is something that has worked very well, and something I didn't expect, is that it works SO well, it gave me time to redo my old ford lgt, which now is a hotrodded repowered 23 hp monster. Even if my JD kawasaki engine takes a dump 700 hours in, I could still replace it and be in it for less than a diesel.

Even now- with the modified ford, the JD is so much more a capable machine. I drive the ford for fun, and now that it is a second tractor, I can enjoy it for what it is- a cool project- and yes- the Ford can do some REAL work now that I have had time to properly go through it, however, the newer JD is what I go to when I need 110% Last week I used it to pull someones car out of the woods and back up the street. It pulled the car out with little fuss. The ford would have never done it. Perhaps a 195, maybe.. maybe not...

One thing that I think is important is to look at how you will use the tractor too... for example, with the class one hitch, I have a rear rake, rear blade, rear box, and pond scoop. They have all come in very handy. I don't have a PTO, and on this class of tractor I would probably be better off getting a "real" tractor if I needed that, but it has been awesome. 

In conclusion- don't rule out "new used" or "lightly used/ low hours" in your search.  Good luck. ps- this JD has an impossibly tight turning radius like the kubota. It is more nimble than my ford.

Attached Thumbnails

• LN0A8953_3900.JPG
  • LN0A8970_3940.JPG
  • LN0A8965_3935.JPG

Edited by dualresponse1731, November 04, 2017 - 08:07 PM.

• Alc, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Z71 Sierra OFFLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 134 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 07:48 PM

If I was going to buy new this would be it. My neighbor has one of these, and he has 17 acres, and he abuses it and this thing takes it.

http://www.steinertu...rs/450-tractor/

Edited by Z71 Sierra, November 04, 2017 - 07:48 PM.

• old coot and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • 13,400 Thanks
  • 9,750 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 08:04 PM

Ooh! I didn't know the budget was up that high. I say Ventrac over Steiner, I like their paint scheme better.
  • Z71 Sierra said thank you

#8 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 275 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 08:10 PM

I agree with Z71, if you want a mowing beast, the Stiener or its twin the Ventura is a very capable machine & on any terrain.  Not cheap though & gently used are hard to find because people tend to keep them.  In my area many school districts & municipalitys uses them for grounds maintenance.

I had a co-worker who owns a small farm & had a high end zero turn, but bought a Stiener because he said he was tired of fishing the zero out of his pond when trying to mow the banks.

Skip

• Z71 Sierra said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • 13,400 Thanks
  • 9,750 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 08:11 PM

A Ventrac 4000 series sold recently online auction in the west metro. 138 hours, had a heated cab, salt/sand spreader, broom, snowblower, and mower. $26,500 when the gavel fell.

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 11:52 PM

I purchased a Simplicity a year ago and so far I'm very pleased with it. It's certainly not the top of the line but the suspension is sure nice. 

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,499 Thanks
  • 9,328 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 08:08 AM

NOS Ingersoll

• MolonLabe said thank you

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm with you on the Kubota, but any changes I make will have to wait for that big lottery win!

• KennyP said thank you

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,192 Thanks
  • 5,627 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 09:12 PM

Tired of "tired out" tractors which had gasped their last breath of life and were heading for the great tractor parts field in the sky, I bought an "new-used" JD 728. It had about 100 hours, so it wasn't new, but had taken the initial depreciation and still had a lot of life left. I live on the east coast, but bought it from the midwest where prices were cheaper and had it shipped to me.

In a nutshell- it has been wonderful. It is basically an overblown garden tractor, AWD with rear differential lock, 27 hp, 62 inch deck, and I put a class one rear 3 point on the back.

It did something my old "they don't build them like they used too" tractors did not do. It actually WORKED! I could get on it and spend time actually doing yardwork, instead of hauling it back to the garage to fix it.

If I did it again, I would buy the diesel version of this tractor instead of the kawasaki 27 hp engine, but overall, I have been pleased. This "almost new" tractor is something that has worked very well, and something I didn't expect, is that it works SO well, it gave me time to redo my old ford lgt, which now is a hotrodded repowered 23 hp monster. Even if my JD kawasaki engine takes a dump 700 hours in, I could still replace it and be in it for less than a diesel.

Even now- with the modified ford, the JD is so much more a capable machine. I drive the ford for fun, and now that it is a second tractor, I can enjoy it for what it is- a cool project- and yes- the Ford can do some REAL work now that I have had time to properly go through it, however, the newer JD is what I go to when I need 110% Last week I used it to pull someones car out of the woods and back up the street. It pulled the car out with little fuss. The ford would have never done it. Perhaps a 195, maybe.. maybe not...

One thing that I think is important is to look at how you will use the tractor too... for example, with the class one hitch, I have a rear rake, rear blade, rear box, and pond scoop. They have all come in very handy. I don't have a PTO, and on this class of tractor I would probably be better off getting a "real" tractor if I needed that, but it has been awesome.

In conclusion- don't rule out "new used" or "lightly used/ low hours" in your search. Good luck. ps- this JD has an impossibly tight turning radius like the kubota. It is more nimble than my ford.

Thanks for the informative post. I'm will to spend 10k or so on a tractor that I feel will last me decades. I am tired of working on the old cub with thousands of hours. I bought that super nice bolens with a lot of goodies. Last time I cut with it i spent 4 hours working on it after cutting for an hour. Then another hour cutting.

I haven't looked at John Deere yet. The kubota dealer left me a voice mail that he would roll me a 2120 out the door for 9800. It was 11k with the options I wanted. He may go down more when winter is in full Swing.

I really want a diesel for some reason.

I have been looking used as well.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:44 AM

That Kubota 2120 is a beauty of a garden tractor, although there are many detractors that say it is a glorified lawn mower since it doesn't come with a factory OEM sleeve hitch or three point.  My standpoint is that is a foolish opinion, Johnny Products makes an awesome Universal sleeve hitch that have on my Cub Cadet GTX2100 and it is flawless.  That will make that Kubota true garden tractor and make the old cub cadet seem old.  The GR was my other choice, but ultimately I got the GTX2100 instead as I really like the dealer and it was $3000 less.  I'd give Johnny Products an email to see if the UNI Sleeve Hitch will fit the GR.  I'm sure it does.

Now having said that, depending on what you plan on doing with your new GT, the cub XT3 may fit also.  Power Steering, electric deck lift and may do all you want with it.  My GTX is essentially the pre-XT3 and there are exactly the same.  I have the fab'd deck (it is an absolute beast), JP sleeve hitch that pulls a Brinly cultivator, box blade and all other implements.  Only thing with your GR and the Cub XT3..there is no OEM tiller and you'd have to get a Berco tiller or a pull behind DR Roto Hog or find a used powered tiller like I had to with a Cub 400 tiller converted to sleeve hitch.  But the XT3 plus a DR Roto Hog is around same price as the GR tractor/mower only.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have changed anything and still got the Cub GTX/XT3.  But I did get very lucky and found a 400 tiller in excellent shape that will last me years.

Simplicity Prestige looks pretty nice too.  No diesel but, it's not Green and Yellow and is a nice real GT.

Those GR's with the diesels are very very nice!!! Steering is second to none, as is the engine.  Transaxle has had some problems, not sure if it has been addressed yet.

Edited by ShotgunWedding, November 06, 2017 - 12:06 PM.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,192 Thanks
  • 5,627 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:21 PM

My only problem with new cubs is they are an MTD product...not a huge fan.

I need to look at simplicity and see what they have to offer.

Honestly I could probably get away with a "lawn mower" but I like the ability to use a plow, pull a heavy load, ect.

The transaxle issues have been addressed. Read about the bushing failures and the change over to bearings.

Edit. Simplicity lost me with the tuff torque transaxle...

I guess I'm down to kubota or john deere. I need to make a trip to the john deere dealer

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 06, 2017 - 09:28 PM.