• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,754 Thanks
  • 894 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 09:01 PM

hi all, i had bought this over 10 years ago for parts just in case, and paid to much but when do you ever see one? and i havent see one since! well i never ended up using it ( couldnt get myself to pull it apart) kind of thought i have the better half of a project but i am out of space and down sizing a bit (tweeking my collection) so i would like to confirm my suspisions as to what chassie it is as i dont want to con anyone as to what it is, also an idea of what its current value would be nice, up here in canada wheel horses are pricey and parts basically non existent, i was offered quite a bit for it years ago but didnt want to part with it at the time, sorry i didnt as the fellow had another which was a real rust bucket basket case and he would have been able  to make himself a fine gt out of them both

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171103_181251.jpg

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 11:23 PM

I think it could have been a 60-61 model 400, 401, 550, or 551.  I'm almost positive it's not a rj-58 or rj-59. IIRC they had a straight fabricated front axle not a cast one.  As for a price I have no idea what to even start at.  Hopefully someone who knows more about them will be along soon to help.                   Stewart

• EricFromPa, farmer john and MolonLabe have said thanks

#3 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 183 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 11:40 PM

I agree, 60  model 400 as seen on Youtube.

• farmer john and MolonLabe have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,340 Thanks
  • 2,988 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 01:18 AM

Looks like a suburban 400,401 or 550. (551 has a 2 piece split transaxle)  It's not an RJ.  The RJs didn't have the notched loop for the lift and the dash tower and front axle are definitely Suburban.  

I had a 400 with a Kohler K91 in it for a bit. Sold mine for $400. It was a basket case But it was 99% complete with a decent running engine.  Only thing that was missing was the recoil start on the engine. It had the belt guard and exhaust heat shield and the under seat tool box and fenders and a very clean gas tank and hood. And a really nice deck.   

I could of asked for a little more but It went to a young fella and I was happy to sell it to someone as a Father/Son project.

#5 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 03:23 PM

The foot boards point towards it being a 1960 400 or 550. 1961's had different foot boards.

#6 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 547 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 10:05 PM

That's definitely a 1960 chassis but as to what it's worth, as the saying goes "whatever someone is willing to pay ". Good 3 piece transmissions are growing scarcer by the day and the original foot rests and linkages are hard to find. Disassembled on epay the parts would be worth a lot more than it is the way it sits. It once looked just like my 400 Suburban.

SAM_1244XXHD.JPG

• Achto said thank you