Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Would you replace all the injectors on a pick up truck when one fails?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 06:10 AM

My 2007 Chevrolet Colorado with the 5 cylinder engine seems to need a new fuel injector on cylinder 5.  The truck has 175,000 miles on it.

There is a lot to disassemble to get to the fuel rail and all 5 injectors will come out with it.  I hate to do all that work again if another injector acts up in the near future.  Injectors run about $50 apiece from rock auto so it would add $200 to the tab if I just do all 5.

What would you do?

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,719 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 06:19 AM

Are you buying Delco injectors from Rock Auto? I'm not a big fan of aftermarket parts in some applications and this would be one of them. Don't think I've ever had a bad injector in one of those engines but anything is possible. What is it doing? I see more coil problems on them than anything.

• Gtractor and Jazz have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,770 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 06:29 AM

My opinion is 175000 is pretty good service on a wear item like that and at only $50 each...  yes,  I'd replace all.

Last place I worked ran diesel pickups and the dealer got over $1000 each to change out an injector, so they were one at a time.

• Cvans and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 06:34 AM

Are you buying Delco injectors from Rock Auto? I'm not a big fan of aftermarket parts in some applications and this would be one of them. Don't think I've ever had a bad injector in one of those engines but anything is possible. What is it doing? I see more coil problems on them than anything.

AC Delco injectors.  I was mistaken, they're $40 apiece.

The truck was periodically throwing a check engine light - miss fire cylinder 5.  Seemed to only happen when idling for long periods with the AC on.  I couldn't get it to reliably throw a code though.  I swapped coils and plugs around but the problem continued to occur on cylinder 5.  I checked with my local shop to see if I should bring it in or wait for it to get worse.  They recommended waiting but suggested in the meantime to run injector cleaner as it's likely an injector.

Now it's happening pretty regularly, even without the AC compressor running.  Yesterday as I pulled from a stop it ran noticeably rough, then smoothed out.  The MIL came on, miss fire cylinder 5.  It's time to do something about it.

I've decided to replace the #5 injector and am inclined to do all 5 while I'm in there.  Don't want to just throw away money though......

Edited by MiCarl, October 31, 2017 - 06:35 AM.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,445 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:09 AM

Time for a new truck, best idea!  :smilewink:  I'ld say 175K is plenty of miles for any vehicle I would own. 

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#6 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 306 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:14 AM

If I had the cash to buy the extra 4 I would do them all. My. Luck, as soon as I got one done, one of the others would go.

jhn9840
John
  • Cvans said thank you

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:38 AM

Time for a new truck, best idea!  :smilewink:  I'ld say 175K is plenty of miles for any vehicle I would own. 

I drive them until they rust away.  This was a California truck until 3 years ago, it was cleaner underneath than on top.  I expect to put 250-300K miles on it.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:39 AM

​Definitely do all 5.  You don't want to have to go through all the disassemble each time one goes bad. If you changed the plugs around it is not a plug, but still get misfire on cylinder -5 ? ?  Sounds electrical problem to me, but could still be an injector.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 07:43 AM

Our rule of thumb is if it's one or two injectors, just do the two. If it is more than two, then replace them all.

Are you doing the work or paying a shop? If I am doing the work, I would just replace the one and keep going. If you are paying a technician, then I would do all five.

175,000 is a lot of miles, but things have changed in the last 50 years. My last couple of trucks went over 350k and 300k each. My current truck is at 192k and runs like a top.

#10 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 08:50 AM

Ordered a full set and the manifold gaskets from Rock Auto.  Hopefully I can forget about them for another 175,000 miles.

Edited by MiCarl, October 31, 2017 - 08:50 AM.

• Austen said thank you

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 1,462 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 09:02 AM

I had one to go bad on my truck it was much to remove to get to the injectors i just replaced them all. I had one that would not close completely and leaking fuel into the cylinder making for hard starting. After replacing all is good.

#12 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 1,045 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 09:34 AM

My opinion is 175000 is pretty good service on a wear item like that and at only $50 each...  yes,  I'd replace all.

Last place I worked ran diesel pickups and the dealer got over $1000 each to change out an injector, so they were one at a time.

Ditto!

• Gtractor said thank you

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,852 Thanks
  • 5,499 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 09:35 AM

Ditto on the coil..  You're getting a misfire on #5 from the code reader, right?  I went through this on my '05 sierra and replaced the coil then when it came in again I contemplated replacing the injector as you are..  As it would turn out by searching the web I found that my whole problem was that my batteries went dead and as a result my crankshaft balance setting was lost in the computer.  I performed a a 'relearn' procedure with a scanner and the engine has run like a champ ever since sans the misfire crap..  

Hope this is your problem too..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, October 31, 2017 - 09:37 AM.

• Gtractor and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#14 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,719 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 09:50 AM

I checked the price on the Rock Auto injectors and they are cheaper than I can buy them through my Delco supplier and I'm an AC Delco shop. I'd do all of them if I was doing it on my own vehicle. Sometimes it's hard to convince a customer to do the extra but you can believe it would be my fault when the second one failed.

• Gtractor and MiCarl have said thanks

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 10:25 AM

I had swapped the spark plugs from #5 and #1 and the coils between #5 and #2.  The problem didn't move so it shouldn't be coil (coil over plug) or plug.  If it's electrical it'll be in the vehicle wiring or the module.  My experience is flaky electrical gets worse at higher RPM which is the opposite here.

If I clear the code it'll run down the freeway all day without throwing another.  Fuel mileage doesn't seem to be off so I think it's only a problem at idle.  Hopefully that injector is just not quite right.

I'll know after the new set is in.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you