Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Insulating my shop (Oh and painting and reorganizing and cleaning) !

shop insulation cold

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#76 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,362 Thanks
  • 31,791 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 08:36 PM

So the pellet stove has a draft inducer fan I take it?

• Cjet69 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#77 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 08:55 PM

So the pellet stove has a draft inducer fan I take it?

Yes,

The stove hasnt' been working.  Long story short, I shorted out the control board.  Guy on-line in California fixed it.  He told me that my exhaust was blocked in the fire box causing the stove to go out.  Should have the parts back next week.  Hopefully everything works the way that it should.

Edited by Mark 149 J., December 29, 2017 - 09:02 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#78 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,171 Thanks
  • 1,573 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 09:35 PM

the only thing I can see that you are missing - Carpet

I had got some clean carpet that people were throughing away.

some of the carpet I cut up into about 4x4 pieces.

I use them to lay on when I am working under the cars and garden tractors

I put some carpet down in front of my work bench with carpet pad.  Helps the feet.

the best thing about the carpet pieces once they get to dirty I can through them away.

can always find more.

my work garage  is 30 x42 and about have of it has carpet.

helps make easier to heat with a small propane heater

• KennyP, Sawdust, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#79 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 11:46 PM

I got all of my electronic components back and installed today.  Finished cleaning out exhaust ports in the back of the fire box.  Boy was it dirty and plugged up.  I don't think this stove has ever had a proper cleaning.  This is the blower fan for the fire box.  I pulled the fan motor off and found a ton of ash that plugged up the exhaust from the fire box.  The motor sucks air in through the fire box and then pushes it out through the exhaust vent.

20180102_173548.jpg

I plugged it in and everything seemed to work.  I started the fire with the starting gel and this is what she looked like after a bit.

Before repair and cleaning                                  After

20171220_154947.jpg 20180102_173535.jpg

It really puts out the BTU's now!  It easily raised the temp 15 degrees or more in 1 hr of run time.  I don't know the exact temp because I broke my thermometer that I was using before.  It runs beautiful!  Very little smoke as well.

:dancingbanana:   :beer:

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#80 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,273 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:11 AM

Best you wear sunglasses looking at it now, Mark! What a difference. Very happy for you :thumbs:

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#81 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 10:31 AM

Best you wear sunglasses looking at it now, Mark! What a difference. Very happy for you :thumbs:

I was thinking of wearing my welding helmet! :D

I paid $100 for the stove and $160 to get the control board fixed.  For $260 I have a very reliable and inexpensive way to heat my shop.  Each 50 lbs bag of pellets costs $4.89.  I'm curious to see how long each bag will last.

• olcowhand, KennyP, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#82 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 08:44 PM

I've been giving the new stove a workout today.  At 1 pm the shop was 35*F and I started the stove, at 3 pm is was 57*, and at 5 pm 61*.  I've turned the temp down while getting dinner ready and I'll go back out and see what the temp is.  I was doing some more organizing and noticed that I was sweating with shorts and a long sleeve shirt on so I think 60* will be a good temp for me to be working in.  If I get too hot all I have to do is lay on the cold cement and then I'll be ready for more work!

• Alc, KennyP, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#83 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,109 Thanks
  • 1,508 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:22 PM

I was thinking of wearing my welding helmet! :D

I paid $100 for the stove and $160 to get the control board fixed.  For $260 I have a very reliable and inexpensive way to heat my shop.  Each 50 lbs bag of pellets costs $4.89.  I'm curious to see how long each bag will last.

The pellets I buy come 50 bags to the ton. So 40 lb per bag standard. Depending on setting I get between 16 and 27 hrs per bag. Air control is key. If running on the slowest feed setting with to much air it tends to go out. If running on the higher settings with the air to low it will tend to smoke and soot up. Buying by the ton I spend about $4 per bag tax and all. Don

• Alc, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#84 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 02:11 AM

The pellets I buy come 50 bags to the ton. So 40 lb per bag standard. Depending on setting I get between 16 and 27 hrs per bag. Air control is key. If running on the slowest feed setting with to much air it tends to go out. If running on the higher settings with the air to low it will tend to smoke and soot up. Buying by the ton I spend about $4 per bag tax and all. Don

In my stove the air flow is controlled by a microprocessor.  All I can control is the temperature.  What brand of pellets do buy and from whom?  Do they give a discount when you buy a whole pallet? 

The hopper in my stove was about 5/8 full when I bought it. I'm down to about 1/4 full now. 

Thanks Don  

• KennyP and secondtry have said thanks

#85 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,109 Thanks
  • 1,508 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 12:12 PM

In my stove the air flow is controlled by a microprocessor.  All I can control is the temperature.  What brand of pellets do buy and from whom?  Do they give a discount when you buy a whole pallet? 

The hopper in my stove was about 5/8 full when I bought it. I'm down to about 1/4 full now. 

Thanks Don  

Over the years I have bought  many different brands From different places. This year I am burning North Idaho Energy Logs pellets that were delivered to the yard. I bought Lignetics for several years but the quality seemed to drop off. Tried Pursell and wasn't impressed. In previous years I have bought pellets made in Grangeville ID that were very goodbut I don't recall the name. At present a group of friends have banded together for buying power and purchase by the semi load. I have bought pellets at several different Ace hardware stores over the years. The pellets I am burning now are North Idaho Energy Logs. Since I burn pellets every year I watch for pre season and post season sales. In Spokane I have bought from Ziggies, North country Outfitters, General Store, Lowes, and likely others that I can't remember. If I had to buy at the grocery store a bag at a time like many people do there would be no point, Might as well burn propane or electricity. To shorten it up. Shop around and look ahead. You can do better than $5. a bag. I scored 5 ton delivered $800. That is what prompted the installation of pallet forks on my 8N. I don't know exactly what pellet stove you have but I have owned several and worked on more for friends and every one that I have been around has had a mechanical draft control designed to be set by the stove installer. the only electronic control is generally for the pellet feed. On my present stove I have to remove two screws and open the side panel to find the draft control. It is not considered a user control by the manufacturer. If setup correctly the draft should only need to be changed if you change pellet brands or there is some other problem so the manufacturer thinks a $100 service call i  no problem.   Don   

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1413.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#86 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 03:12 PM

Over the years I have bought  many different brands From different places. This year I am burning North Idaho Energy Logs pellets that were delivered to the yard. I bought Lignetics for several years but the quality seemed to drop off. Tried Pursell and wasn't impressed. In previous years I have bought pellets made in Grangeville ID that were very goodbut I don't recall the name. At present a group of friends have banded together for buying power and purchase by the semi load. I have bought pellets at several different Ace hardware stores over the years. The pellets I am burning now are North Idaho Energy Logs. Since I burn pellets every year I watch for pre season and post season sales. In Spokane I have bought from Ziggies, North country Outfitters, General Store, Lowes, and likely others that I can't remember. If I had to buy at the grocery store a bag at a time like many people do there would be no point, Might as well burn propane or electricity. To shorten it up. Shop around and look ahead. You can do better than $5. a bag. I scored 5 ton delivered $800. That is what prompted the installation of pallet forks on my 8N. I don't know exactly what pellet stove you have but I have owned several and worked on more for friends and every one that I have been around has had a mechanical draft control designed to be set by the stove installer. the only electronic control is generally for the pellet feed. On my present stove I have to remove two screws and open the side panel to find the draft control. It is not considered a user control by the manufacturer. If setup correctly the draft should only need to be changed if you change pellet brands or there is some other problem so the manufacturer thinks a $100 service call i  no problem.   Don   

thanks Don!

What do you think of the energy logs?  Are they burning clean?  I have one bag of energy logs that I'll be trying out as soon as the pellets in the stove run down.  

• secondtry said thank you

#87 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,109 Thanks
  • 1,508 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 05:55 PM

thanks Don!

What do you think of the energy logs?  Are they burning clean?  I have one bag of energy logs that I'll be trying out as soon as the pellets in the stove run down.  

The energy log pellets produce a lot of ash, good heat and no creosote when burning properly. They produce less hard cinder than the last Lignetics I burned.  All in all I am happy with them. I clean the as out of the firebox every other day With the pellets from Grangeville I would clean every three days. Only an inconvenience because it is necessary to shut down and cool off the stove   Don

• Sawdust and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#88 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,691 Thanks
  • 1,510 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 10:23 PM

It was in the mid 40's today so I started up the shop stove and got it warm enough to paint some more of the wall today.  Had to remove a bunch of stuff off the wall first.  Also got some help from my son on those hard to reach areas.

20180114_171838.jpg 20180114_182319.jpg 20180114_182341.jpg

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#89 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,012 Thanks
  • 2,882 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 04:35 AM

Getting brighter all the time. Glad the heater is working out for you. Nothing like a warm shop to tinker in.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#90 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,110 Thanks
  • 46,756 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 05:17 AM