• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Here's a Screenshot of the measurements on placing the rear cylinder mount on the older PK's.

The 11" from rear of frame to center of pin hole .... & 1" space between the edge of the bar / keystock / mount & the inner frame rail edge ... & the top edge of the bar / keystock / mount being on plane with the bottom edge of the tractor frame ... are the only critical measurements you need to maintain.

When it gets light outside this morning .. I will go out & get a measurement of just where the crossmember is located on our older (pre - 80) tractors & add that crossmember to the drawing.

Maybe our efforts here can be pinned to a "Sticky" for future use when a 2 cylinder lift set-up is wanted ?

I can do that!

Done!

Edited by KennyP, November 02, 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#17 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 60 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 08:08 AM

Here's the drawing that shows the distance from the back of frame to crossmember on my 71.

Yours may be different ... CHECK IT !

I must also mention that this modification was done using a PK OEM "Side cylinder" from a tractor earlier than 80.   It has the slot machined into the chrome push rod & the Rockshaft Lever Bar  fits in the rod slot.   The "Back End"  / "Dead End" of the cylinder has two ears welded on .. with thru holes for a pin.  These ears are spaced to fit over 1" keystock for mounting..

I can only recommend these measurements when using THIS cylinder.   Other cylinder lengths or mounting will likely require a different mounting measurement & style.

This drawing also shows a gusset that I welded in place when installing the mount.    This gusset prevents any bending or twisting of the crossmember or the keystock mount.  (Yes ... I abuse my tractor ! )

As for the plumbing ... as said earlier ... I used "Prince" Valves ... I don't remember what series they are or any part numbers.  (maybe I can find some of my old paperwork if pressed.)  I'm hoping that someone else can chime in here with spool valve part numbers or help.

I do know that these valves require that you buy a "Inlet Segment" ... then the actual "Valve/s" that you require ... then an "Outlet Segment".

The Valve Segment parts are all held together in a "Stack / Gang" by "Prince" supplied "All-Thread" & nuts .. of the correct length.    The "Segments" have  "O-Rings" between them for sealing to each other .... as the fluid/oil passes internally ... so eliminating a mass of hoses & fittings between separate valves.

I'll try to help by taking pictures or any way I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• SketchView5.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and zuren have said thanks

#18 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 08:14 AM

Thanks KennyP  !

It seems that several guys were interested in this mod ... I hope I was of some help.

• KennyP and zuren have said thanks

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 08:55 AM

Thanks KennyP  !

It seems that several guys were interested in this mod ... I hope I was of some help.

Seeing what is posted in this thread made it 'Pin' worthy! You are addressing a modification lots of folks may want to to do. Pretty well explained, drawings help a lot to understand what needs to be done.

#20 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 47 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 10:04 AM

I can do that!

Done!

KennyP - You are welcome to edit the title of this thread to make it a statement rather than a question, if that makes more sense.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 10:28 AM

KennyP - You are welcome to edit the title of this thread to make it a statement rather than a question, if that makes more sense.

See how you like that for a title.

• zuren said thank you

#22 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 11:13 AM

I found the "Prince" page that lists the series of spool valves I used ... but can't seem to copy/paste a link here.  

Any help ?

Hmmm ... I can't seem to be able to paste ANYTHING HERE  ????

Even if I click the little "Paste" Icon

Now that I think about it .... when I try to "Quote" a post here ... NOTHING shows up ... as to Quoted post ???

WTH ?

Edited by Glenn Ayers, November 02, 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 47 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 12:45 PM

Here's the drawing that shows the distance from the back of frame to crossmember on my 71.

Yours may be different ... CHECK IT !

I must also mention that this modification was done using a PK OEM "Side cylinder" from a tractor earlier than 80.   It has the slot machined into the chrome push rod & the Rockshaft Lever Bar  fits in the rod slot.   The "Back End"  / "Dead End" of the cylinder has two ears welded on .. with thru holes for a pin.  These ears are spaced to fit over 1" keystock for mounting..

I can only recommend these measurements when using THIS cylinder.   Other cylinder lengths or mounting will likely require a different mounting measurement & style.

This drawing also shows a gusset that I welded in place when installing the mount.    This gusset prevents any bending or twisting of the crossmember or the keystock mount.  (Yes ... I abuse my tractor ! )

As for the plumbing ... as said earlier ... I used "Prince" Valves ... I don't remember what series they are or any part numbers.  (maybe I can find some of my old paperwork if pressed.)  I'm hoping that someone else can chime in here with spool valve part numbers or help.

I do know that these valves require that you buy a "Inlet Segment" ... then the actual "Valve/s" that you require ... then an "Outlet Segment".

The Valve Segment parts are all held together in a "Stack / Gang" by "Prince" supplied "All-Thread" & nuts .. of the correct length.    The "Segments" have  "O-Rings" between them for sealing to each other .... as the fluid/oil passes internally ... so eliminating a mass of hoses & fittings between separate valves.

I'll try to help by taking pictures or any way I can.

I know ZERO about hydraulics but did spend a bit of time on the Prince website and looked at their catalog.  Those stacked units look slick but they also look tall, so would they even fit under the seat if you chose to maintain the factory location for the controller?

They do have 2 and 3 spool "monoblock" units but there are lots of "options" for it and I quickly found myself overwhelmed.  What spool type is our factory 1 spool controller considered (eg, 4 way, 4 position)?  See page 3 of this link, under "Spool Type" in the diagram:

http://www.princehyd...ct-RD5100-30GPM

So I guess my question is - if I wanted a direct replacement to the OEM controller but with 2 spools, what are all the options you would need to select from that chart?  The text from one of the uploaded files states:

"The hydraulic valve is a double acting four-way type with pressure relief and a float position."  This seems to align with Spool Type option G, but then I read the ** note in the lower left corner of the chart and it sounds like the ability to float the lift is only available on 1 spool, not both.  Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, November 02, 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#24 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 47 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 12:46 PM

I found the "Prince" page that lists the series of spool valves I used ... but can't seem to copy/paste a link here.  

Any help ?

Now that I think about it .... when I try to "Quote" a post here ... NOTHING shows up ... as to Quoted post ???

WTH ?

Here is the main page to the stacked controllers:

http://www.princehyd...ic-Valves/Stack

#25 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 47 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 12:47 PM

See how you like that for a title.

:thumbs:

#26 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 01:43 PM

zuren .... the third set of valves in your link  .... 12 gpm  .... are the spool valves I used.

If I remember correctly ... my spool for the "Front" cylinder is 4 position ....

Center = spring return NUETRAL

Pull Back = Raise

Push Forward = Lower

All the way forward = Detent Float

My Spool for the Rear cylinder is 3 position  ....

Center = Spring return NUETRAL

Pull Back = Raise

Push Forward = Lower

I seem to be remembering something about you can't have more than one "Float Position" valve in a Stack.

I could be wrong.

You may have room to position these valves under the seat ... I'm not sure.   The Levers are just round rod & could be cut to any length you want ... or could actually be bent forward in the fashion of the OEM PK lever.

Here's better pics of my spool set-up.

Attached Thumbnails

• spool1.jpg
  • spool2.jpg
  • spool3.jpg

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 04:25 PM

Any help ?

WTH ?

Make sure you have Adobe Flash installed. A lot of the newer browsers don't use it, but some sites need that!

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,561 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 05:35 PM

If you ever thought of having a hydraulic top link this might be the time to plumb everything in . If you could find a valve like the PK uses for the loaders , 2 spools one detent ,that gets fed first from the pump , mount that by the seat like the factory , you could use that as the rear lift and top link  then your single you already have and that would get fed from the outlet of the 2 spool . That could be mounted up on the tunnel . 

• zuren said thank you

#29 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 47 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 08:20 PM

If you ever thought of having a hydraulic top link this might be the time to plumb everything in . If you could find a valve like the PK uses for the loaders , 2 spools one detent ,that gets fed first from the pump , mount that by the seat like the factory , you could use that as the rear lift and top link  then your single you already have and that would get fed from the outlet of the 2 spool . That could be mounted up on the tunnel . 

I have seen larger tractors with the hydraulic top link but never really considered it to be all that useful for a smaller tractor, or I didn't know what I would use it for....until I found this video:

Now you have me thinking....3 spools (stacked or monoblock)?!

Edited by zuren, November 02, 2017 - 08:52 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#30 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,561 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 05:32 AM

Have you looked at the Prince SV valves at Surplus Center ?  Their site seems to let you make up different combinations ( features ) . As mentioned above about maybe not being able to have 2 floats in the same valve , they might be able to answer .