• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 47 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 02:32 PM

I wanted to know if anyone has ever considered, or attempted, adding a 2nd lift cylinder to a PK to be able to operate the 3-pt. separately from the mid/front.

I would have a lot of use with being able to use the mid lift and 3-pt. lifts independently. It seems that I'm always trying to balance the heights when I'm dealing with a trailer and/or my snowblower.

I was reading a thread by GBinMN where he replaced the single spool controller with a 2 spool unit to control a cylinder on his plow. It got me wondering if I could mount a hydraulic cylinder in the location where the 1980s tractors have it. Welding mounts to the frame and the round bar of the 3-pt, 2 spool controller, and hoses would be required. On my tractor, I would foresee the existing cylinder (on the right side of the tractor) controlling the mid-lift for the mower and the front snowblower in the winter, then the new/2nd cylinder would be dedicated to the 3-pt. only.

I would love to hear thoughts and things I'm not considering for such a project. I would also love to see some pics of a 1980s hydraulic lift (under the tractor) and how it mounts.

Thanks!

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 08:09 PM

Hi Z, you have an interesting idea and I think it is very doable, hope you go ahead with this project, here's a link to the thread where I moved the 3 pt cyl to under the tractor not all that hard just required some fabricating

http://gardentractor...e-1976-pk-1614/

#3 Bwinkle7 ONLINE  

Bwinkle7
  • Member No: 74733
  • 45 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 05:50 PM

Hi Z, you have a good vision. I have been viaulizing exactly that. I currently don't have a 3pt on my 73 PK, but I would like to operate the draw bar without removing the belly mower. I have some ideas but I think I need to lay under the PK and look close at what is there, how it works, what would be needed to link a cylinder to the db and let the existing cylinder work the belly mower. I'm not ready to start yet but maybe we can keep in touch here and pass our info so others can consider it.

I read this forum often and sometimes post. If I figure anything out you will see it here.

Good luck, Bwinkle
  • KennyP said thank you

#4 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 47 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 10:48 AM

Does anyone have good images of the lift setup on a 1980s Power King?  I've been searching the internet for images and only find a smattering.  I have not been able to find a pic of how the cylinder attaches to the tractor frame:

Showing part of the hydraulic hose routing:

maxresdefault.jpg

One of the better images I can link:

2wrgq6b.jpg

I think the easiest route is welding tabs to attach the new cylinder to my existing hitch.

Edited by zuren, November 01, 2017 - 10:51 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,761 Thanks
  • 44,550 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 01:11 PM

I went surfing through the files I have and found this. Not sure if it will help, but it shows a mounting for the cylinder. And then I found this one.

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 06:30 PM

Hi Z, don't have any pictures handy but the factor cylinder set up is a 1"X1"X by about 4" welded to the cross member this is no big deal if the frame is bare so you can get at the area to weld the mount in place, What I did was fabricate a clamp mount it clamps to the cross member and works good I'll post some pictures you can see how it works.

When you first posted this idea I wasn't overly into it but the more I've thought about it the more I like it and may try it on the 76 1614 that I converted to the 1980 system a couple of years ago.

HPIM2318.JPG HPIM2319.JPG HPIM2323.JPG 100_0567.JPG HPIM2329.JPG

Edited by MNGB, November 01, 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#7 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 07:03 PM

I have been watching this thread .. in hopes someone ELSE had good information to provide ... because I wasn't prepared for a presentation.

First ... let me ask if you (zuren)  .. or any of you other guys use a 3D CAD program called Sketchup  ?

I've made up a scale model drawing of exactly where this weldment goes on a 1980 PK .... & it's way easy if you could handle the Sketchup model if I send it to you.

I added a second cylinder to my 1972 PK years ago ... & I love it !

On the 72 .. there's actually a crossmember that makes this even simpler.   No building a "L" shaped mount ... just a straight piece of 1" keystock with a 1/2" hole & weld it pointing to the rear .. under the crossmember.

Here's some pics of my 72.

"Prince" stackable valves .... OEM PK Hyd Cyl  & a WAG on where to weld the arm onto the Rockshaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3Pt.jpg
  • Front1.jpg
  • Rear1.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#8 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 07:05 PM

More Pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• Rear2.jpg
  • Side.jpg
  • SpoolValves.jpg

#9 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 07:07 PM

Pics 2 & 3 on the first post are of the 1980 w/ OEM mount.

#10 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 07:20 PM

Here's a couple screenshots of the 3D model .... maybe you can make sense of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• SketchView1.jpg
  • SketchView2.jpg

#11 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,378 Thanks
  • 815 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 07:43 PM

I've seen photos of some with the cylinder mounted below, like you have Glenn. I'll bet with some ingenuity and modification you could have the bottom one and the one on the side ran with a dual spool along side a quick release type system to run them independently of each other.

2miyBC3.jpg

#12 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 07:57 PM

Ummmm .... they are run independently.  They each have their own spool valve.  The valves are "Ganged" ... you can add as many valves as you want ... with as many cylinders.

• Austen said thank you

#13 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 47 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 09:19 PM

I've seen photos of some with the cylinder mounted below, like you have Glenn. I'll bet with some ingenuity and modification you could have the bottom one and the one on the side ran with a dual spool along side a quick release type system to run them independently of each other.

Ummmm .... they are run independently.  They each have their own spool valve.  The valves are "Ganged" ... you can add as many valves as you want ... with as many cylinders.

Yes, the entire goal here is to separate lifting the 3 pt. from the mid/front mount via 2 cylinders and 2 hydraulic controllers.  I would just leave the lift arm on the rockbar (?) for my factory lift in place since it won't harm anything.

I figured I could not have been the first to have the idea! :worshippy1:  Thank you for all the pics and info.  I have Sketchup but really have not spent much time with it.  I'll PM you for the file.

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, November 01, 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#14 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 05:37 AM

Separating the Rear Action from the Belly or Front action was EXACTLY my goal.   Nothing dumber than lifting your mower deck & the Drawbar dragging the ground ... or Raising the Dozer / Snow Blade & the Drawbar dragging.

The FINAL DECIDING FACTOR was when moving trailers while the Dozer Blade was installed.  Lift the trailer & the Dozer Blade hits the ground.  GRRrrrrrrrrr.

This "Green" tractor is usually my "Workhorse" around the place ... & my 80 keeps the Mower Deck on.

Hopefully < .... the 80 gets put back together this winter.

My 74 with the Loader Bucket also got the side cylinder moved to under the rear the same as the 80.   There's not much "Foot Room" between the loader frame & your right foot anyways ... so the cylinder got moved.   It was an easy fix ... since none of the "Belly" or "Front" functions were needed ... just needed to lift the rear Drawbar.

You may also notice that my Spool Valve/s location has been moved & new Hydraulic tank fabricated.   Power King could have found a DUMBER place to mount the OEM spool valve if they tried really hard.

Frown if you want to when you see that my "Tunnel / Runningboard"  tin crap is missing ... but mine are "Working Tractors" & they are sure easier to Work On & Work With ... without that stupid Tin !

#15 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 06:21 AM

Here's a Screenshot of the measurements on placing the rear cylinder mount on the older PK's.

The 11" from rear of frame to center of pin hole .... & 1" space between the edge of the bar / keystock / mount & the inner frame rail edge ... & the top edge of the bar / keystock / mount being on plane with the bottom edge of the tractor frame ... are the only critical measurements you need to maintain.

When it gets light outside this morning .. I will go out & get a measurement of just where the crossmember is located on our older (pre - 80) tractors & add that crossmember to the drawing.

Maybe our efforts here can be pinned to a "Sticky" for future use when a 2 cylinder lift set-up is wanted ?

Attached Thumbnails

• SketchView3.jpg

• KennyP said thank you