• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,418 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 05:12 AM

The rear axle looks like a go-cart type setup, just with a square tube over it.

• SOHC said thank you

#32 SOHC OFFLINE  

SOHC
  • Member No: 88731
  • 34 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 06:08 PM

The rear axle looks like a go-cart type setup, just with a square tube over it.

I wouldn't be supersized if it was, but its very heavy duty, the rest of the tractor is made with off the self automotive components, wheel bearings were a GM item, steering system is all automotive components, gearbox is from some kind of car,      

• KennyP said thank you

#33 SOHC OFFLINE  

SOHC
  • 34 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 04, 2017 - 04:04 AM

I found how to get the rear axles out, RH axle is a short tube and the LH is a long solid shaft and runs right through the diff and then through the hollow RH axle, a big split pin and washer holds everything together. I should be able to pull them out and wack in new seals and bearings.

I drove over to a friends place on it this afternoon, if you let the clutch out a little bit too fast the front wheels will come off the ground, and it dosnt matter if the engine is at idol or full throttle, I think towing a trailer on steep or uneven ground would be dangerous.

• KennyP said thank you

#34 SOHC OFFLINE  

SOHC
  • 34 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 09, 2017 - 03:26 AM

Well I removed the RH hub and found at some stage it has sheared both axle keys and some ding a ling has welded both gears to the shaft, I would have liked to replace the oil seals and fix the end float but I will just fill it with semi fluid grease and use it, it might outlast me. 

Oh it did have bronze bushes.

• KennyP said thank you

#35 SOHC OFFLINE  

SOHC
  • 34 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 03:17 AM

Put in the semifluid, man that has made a difference, its smooth and quite now, fitted a new ignition condenser and I had replaced the fuel pump with a B&S pulse pump but when the tank got down to about 3/4 the engine would cut out, and when I removed the pump the pulse line was full of engine oil, I put the mechanical pump back on and it goes better.   

• KennyP said thank you

#36 SOHC OFFLINE  

SOHC
  • 34 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 05:53 PM

I got a job lot of NOS Kohler parts, I dont know what I will do with half of it as its for the smaller engines but there things like air filters, piston ring sets, pistons, mufflers, pull stat mech, it was cheep, even if I give what I dont want away I will be happey

#37 SOHC OFFLINE  

SOHC
  • 34 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 03:18 AM

Engine was noisy and smokey and used alot of oil, ordered a few parts and I will get the blocked bored for the new piston and the crank ground

IMG_2987_zpsqlvpl0ci.jpg
IMG_2999_zpsg7goienz.jpg
IMG_2998_zpsyjwdk4iy.jpg

it had a 003 piston it in but it was worn, also i found the crank had the threaded part broken off for the flywheel, I have a replacement flywheel and crank shaft tho.

I put the remains of another engine in the tractor to make an exhaust stack, I made a rain flap to

IMG_3003_zpsphwkqifa.jpg
IMG_3005_zpsmlsokzls.jpg