• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • Member No: 88741
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 07:29 PM

im new here and to sears tractors, just acquired a super 12 my question is the switch will not kill the engine, am I right that the switch is supposed to be grounded when it goes back to stop and grounds out the engine?  if I remember right the switch has a power in from battery, a power out to voltage regulator, a wire to the cigarette lighter and cant remember maybe one to amp meter then black wire that goes down towards the engine.   There is also a wire that comes off the very base of the voltage regulator that has loop on it, this wire and the black wire from the switch are presently loose.  So im waiting to confirm what I should do with them.   I realize I also could have a bad switch?  thanks for any help. Matt.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,869 Thanks
  • 44,614 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 05:51 AM

I posted an answer in your other thread for the diagram.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,938 Thanks
  • 1,008 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 07:40 AM

Anytime you are doing electrical to your vintage or antique garden tractor never assume the color coding is correct. Many of these machine have been rewired at some point do to electrical issues or even mice and rats. Often we will see that they use what ever color wire is available so its best to check routing not wire color.  

• boyscout862 and 4tom have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,019 Thanks
  • 8,795 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 08:12 AM

Download the manuals from our Manuals Section. Be very careful when playing with the wiring on those old Tecumseh engines with electronic ignition. It is real easy to damage them and the parts are very expensive. Post clear pics of your problem areas so that we can see what you are talking about. Good Luck, Rick

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,938 Thanks
  • 1,008 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 08:22 AM

Download the manuals from our Manuals Section. Be very careful when playing with the wiring on those old Tecumseh engines with electronic ignition. It is real easy to damage them and the parts are very expensive. Post clear pics of your problem areas so that we can see what you are talking about. Good Luck, Rick

I can't agree more with that statement....That goes with anything electronic these days. Make sure the battery is disconnected and verify your wiring and connections before connecting the battery , verify it twice if your not 100% sure. 

Edited by John Arsenault, October 29, 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#6 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the help do you guys know if the voltage regulator on a 68 or 69 super 12 has a wire coming out of it on the bottom that goes to ground?

#7 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Actually on the diagram it looks like that ground off of voltage regulator goes to the bolt on starter mount to me

#8 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 05:19 PM

Okay I got that and can anybody tell me where that M terminal wire called the shorting wire where do I land that one at?

#9 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 05:20 PM

I don't know what that dotted diagram is of that shows where the shorting where it goes

#10 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 30, 2017 - 05:46 PM

And one more thing a brown wire by the Shroud at the front side of the tractor it's a brown wire that disappears going through the shroud where would that one probably go? It's probably heading in life through the flywheel area.

#11 ptzbrg OFFLINE  

ptzbrg
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 03:44 AM

Someone said to ground out the Magneto is that same as coil and is there a certain spot where you would attach that M wire to the Magneto just underneath mount bolt?