• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,770 Thanks
  • 44,554 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:28 PM

We have a glass top electric range in the house right now. All four burners have bit the dust and I am not spending the money to fix it. Plus I hate electric burners to cook off of ( constantly going up/down on heat ). So I'm going a different direction. I have a nearly new (used maybe 25 times) electric oven in the shop (bought it in the late 90's/early 2000's). Found a propane cook top (4 burners) to put on top of it. Then I won't have to worry about using too much propane with the oven, but still have gas burners to cook off of. Should cure the whole issue!

• Gtractor, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 272 Thanks
  • 212 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:35 PM

That's how we do it, a wall electric oven & a propane stove top.  Can't beat cooking with gas!

Those new induction gadgets look interesting though.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,770 Thanks
  • 44,554 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:43 PM

That's how we do it, a wall electric oven & a propane stove top.  Can't beat cooking with gas!

Those new induction gadgets look interesting though.

Can't afford the new gadgets!

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,116 Thanks
  • 3,925 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:43 PM

Lot of stoves now a days have electric oven and a gas top all in one unit. But a lot of electric gadgets on them.

Noel.

Note Kenny. Get the most basic one available.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,373 Thanks
  • 9,735 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:50 PM

Good grief, I hope the wife don't see this. She's always talking about electric wall mount convection ovens and a gas cooktop. Copper hood, copper backsplash, apron sink, granite countertops, more LED lighting.

And I get the stink eye for buying new hydraulic hoses for the Bolens. The 1978 model. House is a 2006 model. Tractor wins.
  • KennyP, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 06:55 PM

we had electric dryer,  stove and cooktop in our 1st house, hated it. had gas for the boiler so I extended the line and put in a gas dryer, and gas stove/oven combo. Wife and I both grew up with gas appliances so I added them.  This house had elec dryer but gas cooking, dryer only 12' from furnace so it was real easy to run a line for the gas dryer....

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,997 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 10:10 PM

​A gas cook top heats up faster and cools down faster.  Have had gas till this last one and the price was right so I run the 220 over to it.  After we got used to it works fine.   Electric cook top with electric oven.  Have a gas dryer yet and gas furnace.  When the furnace gives out will look at putting an electric heating coil in it rather than buying a new electric furnace.  Get a better rate if all electric.  Propane has come down some $1.05 here now.    

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,770 Thanks
  • 44,554 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 05:06 AM

I started getting back to the oven yesterday and made a drawing for the piece of plywood the cooktop will fit into. It will get painted once I come up with a smooth piece.

Here's the cooktop. Parts are all in the box.

DSCN3535.JPG

I will see if I can get some measurements from the oven so I can build a platform for it to sit on and slide into.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,579 Thanks
  • 2,716 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 08:18 AM

Looks like a nice basic unit, easy to operate and no fancy gadgets to go wrong. Did it come with the kit to convert to propane, or is it propane ready? The wall oven should fit under that without too much modification of your old opening. 

First thing I did when the electric stove in this new house started acting up was go out and buy a gas one and tapped into the propane for the boiler. I hate electric cook tops. Nothing like gas to make a nice sunnyside egg on. 

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,770 Thanks
  • 44,554 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 09:30 AM

Looks like a nice basic unit, easy to operate and no fancy gadgets to go wrong. Did it come with the kit to convert to propane, or is it propane ready? The wall oven should fit under that without too much modification of your old opening. 

First thing I did when the electric stove in this new house started acting up was go out and buy a gas one and tapped into the propane for the boiler. I hate electric cook tops. Nothing like gas to make a nice sunnyside egg on. 

It is LPG and has a regulator on it. Since I have a free standing electric range now, I have to make something for the oven and this to fit to.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,997 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 09:59 AM

​Nothing wrong with cooking with electric.  Like anything else have to get used to it and learn what knob settings to use for what.  Turning the knob up and down all the time is like over correcting with a steering wheel.  In a sense, you are over correcting.  ​Small adjustment till your used to it and learn where to set it.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,770 Thanks
  • 44,554 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 10:04 AM

​Nothing wrong with cooking with electric.  Like anything else have to get used to it and learn what knob settings to use for what.  Turning the knob up and down all the time is like over correcting with a steering wheel.  In a sense, you are over correcting.  ​Small adjustment till your used to it and learn where to set it.

This stupid range would turn the burner on for a while, then off till the food quit cooking, then back to over cooking all on it's own. Burnt out all the burners doing that and I can buy another range for the cost of one burner. Plus it was a glass top and my cast iron didn't like that! Never did work correctly! Never again!!!!!!!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,526 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 11:08 AM

I prefer gas or propane too, but am stuck with the electric stove I have. My favourite is to put a big pot of stew or soup on the top of my wood stove downstairs and have it simmer away all day. Have even been known to open the door to a nice red bed of wood coals and cook a steak or chops just like over a campfire. Sometimes bake a potato that way, and if I'm working in the basement the old camp coffee pot sits on top . Real boiled coffee like mother used to make.

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,909 Thanks
  • 4,965 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 01:08 PM

We have used the wood stove a few times to cook. We did it because we wanted to try it. The nice thing is to know it for when the power is out.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,770 Thanks
  • 44,554 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 02:35 PM

I got the oven out where I could get some measurements. It's a Whirlpool like the cooktop. Found a decal on top of the oven with recommended cooktops to use with it and the one I bought is listed! :dancingbanana:  Now to get some idea of what lumber I need to install all this! Not gonna go in quick (if I want it to look decent). I have to buy some lumber and a few other things!

• oldedeeres, propane1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks